Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
  

Archive 2013 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4
  
 
firstgear99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


Which one would you want and why? The DO has IS, the 2.8 can be obtained with IS but at significant cost.

So, which and why?



Feb 11, 2013 at 01:33 AM
Monito
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


firstgear99 wrote:
Which one would you want and why? The DO has IS, the 2.8 can be obtained with IS but at significant cost. So, which and why?


Much depends on what purposes you would use it for.

Should we assume you are asking in advance of your purchase of one or the other? Perhaps you might tell us your primary genres or uses you would devote it to. What support would you typically use? Tripod, gimbal mount, monopod, handheld?

Transportability and hand-holdability would be factors that would impact usage. IS doesn't stop action which might or might not be a consideration depending on usage.



Feb 11, 2013 at 01:52 AM
rdalrt
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


For me the choice was simple. 2.8 vs 4.0. I need the extra stop.


Feb 11, 2013 at 01:54 AM
firstgear99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


Good question.....we travel the world.....Hawaii, Alaska, Hot Air Balloon Festival as starters....I know it won't work for me if I am going to Rome or Paris as the opportunity to really use it doesn't present itself to warrant carrying it around with us (except when we retire, we plan on renting apartment for a month at a time in places like Rome near the Vatican).

Grandson playing baseball or any other sport......

As my better half told me, better to et what you need/want before you retire, you are less likely to want to spend the money later.....she is right.

Monopod in all likelihood, tripod could be used, but that is heavy as will be the lens, that is a lot to array around.

I have the 1Dx and it is one hell of a camera, got bunches of L glass, just don't have any of the big stuff. Buying new is not out of the question, but would prefer to buy at a price I can get back out of without too much loss.

I am a CPS Gold member and can borrow a lens, but I figure it would be better to just buy one and cover it on my insurance rider policy.

So.....here I am looking at these as well as the 500 f4IS.




Feb 11, 2013 at 02:06 AM
PetKal
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


Monito wrote:
Much depends on what purposes you would use it for.



That kinda general statement applies more strongly to your dilemma than in many other similar cases. The choice between those lenses is highly personal, and much of what we might say will probably not help much because we do not know you and your photography.

However, let us narrow the f/2.8 lens to the IS version Mk1. Now you are looking at one of the best performing Canon lenses (IQ and AF) which also happens to be one of the heaviest.

On the other hand, 400 DO is not near the performance level of the f/2.8 behemoth, but when it comes to the ease of transport, handling and handheld use, the 400 DO is really delightful, and, to some of us, that is the key reason for accepting its somewhat inferior IQ.

You see, this is not an easy choice to make, and I do not know of a way to make it any easier.



Feb 11, 2013 at 02:07 AM
firstgear99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


We were just in Maui and the condo we rented was 50 feet from the ocean. Off in the distance we could see whales blowing and breaching out of the water. I had my 1Dx along with my 100-400 and 1.4xII to take photos. Even so, the photos were just ok.

I didn't bring my 2xII because of the amount of stops it eats up. But perhaps with a faster lens that combo would have yielded great results.

In Alaska getting decent shots of eagles isn't easy either with the same combination, but perhaps a faster lens combo might yield far better results.



Feb 11, 2013 at 02:18 AM
firstgear99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


PetKal wrote:
That kinda general statement applies more strongly to your dilemma than in many other similar cases. The choice between those lenses is highly personal, and much of what we might say will probably not help much because we do not know you and your photography.

However, let us narrow the f/2.8 lens to the IS version Mk1. Now you are looking at one of the best performing Canon lenses (IQ and AF) which also happens to be one of the heaviest.

On the other hand, 400 DO is not near the performance level of the f/2.8 behemoth, but when it comes to
...Show morewhen you say performance are you meaning the clarity of the photo that the lens yields? In other words, the 2.8 is the king of the hill and everything else is down the mountain?



Feb 11, 2013 at 02:21 AM
RobDickinson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


How about a 200/2 and 2.0 tc?


Feb 11, 2013 at 02:24 AM
PetKal
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


firstgear99 wrote:
when you say performance are you meaning the clarity of the photo that the lens yields? In other words, the 2.8 is the king of the hill and everything else is down the mountain?


Before the MkII lenses came along, I believe 400 f/2.8 IS MkI was Canon's best long lens regarding IQ and AF responsiveness, closely followed by 300 f/2.8 IS MkI and 500 f/4 IS MkI, and then 600 f/4 IS MkI and 800L.

However, the MkII lenses have changed that entire picture, and today we have different kings of the hill. However, 400 f/2.8 IS MkI is still close to the best performance-wise, and 400 DO still remains the smallest and the lightest of them all.


Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 02:34 AM · View previous versions



Feb 11, 2013 at 02:28 AM
firstgear99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


RobDickinson wrote:
How about a 200/2 and 2.0 tc?

I have the 200 f2.8 and 2x, not sure what the 200 f2 buys me......



Feb 11, 2013 at 02:30 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



RobDickinson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


You think theres a difference between the $800 200/2.8 and the $5500 200/2.0L?

Compare them , f2.8 vs f2.0:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=245&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=458&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=1&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

200/2.8 vs 200/2+2.0 tc:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=245&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=458&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=4&APIComp=0

400/4do vs 200/2+2.0tc
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=338&Camera=453&Sample=1&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=458&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=4&APIComp=2

200/2 is awesome, and depending on sample variation looks as good as the 400/4 with the tx




Feb 11, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


firstgear99 wrote:
I have the 200 f2.8 and 2x, not sure what the 200 f2 buys me......



It won't buy you anything because it sounds like you want more than 400mm. Do NOT buy a 400 2.8 without trying one first. There is no point in getting a lens that is too heavy and awkward to use. You will just leave it at home most of the time. The 400 DO may be best for you and will AF with a 2x TC with your 1DX.



Feb 11, 2013 at 03:08 AM
firstgear99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


RobDickinson wrote:
You think theres a difference between the $800 200/2.8 and the $5500 200/2.0L?

Compare them , f2.8 vs f2.0:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=245&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=458&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=1&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

200/2.8 vs 200/2+2.0 tc:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=245&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=458&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=4&APIComp=0

400/4do vs 200/2+2.0tc
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=338&Camera=453&Sample=1&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=458&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=4&APIComp=2

200/2 is awesome, and depending on sample variation looks as good as the 400/4 with the tx

thanks for the charts that show differences.....clearly the 200f2.8 isn't up to what the 200f2 can provide. Gives me more to chew on......thanks



Feb 11, 2013 at 03:13 AM
firstgear99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


Imagemaster wrote:
It won't buy you anything because it sounds like you want more than 400mm. Do NOT buy a 400 2.8 without trying one first. There is no point in getting a lens that is too heavy and awkward to use. You will just leave it at home most of the time. The 400 DO may be best for you and will AF with a 2x TC with your 1DX.

I I think I need it to get a shot, I will drag it wherever I go. I looked at the comparison shots up above with 400f2.8 I or II and they are equal from what I could see. The other lens that I compared to IMO didn't really come as sharp as these two. To get a great shot with a great lens, I could drag it with me. I would probably sell the 100-400 to help fund the purchase.



Feb 11, 2013 at 03:20 AM
PetKal
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


Based on what I've read about your interests and plans, and given that you seem to be doing a fair bit of travelling and photographing wildlife, there is one lens which in my opinion represents an optimum between practicality and performance: 500mm f/4 IS MkII with MkIII teleconverters. Yes, the lens is very expensive, but it does work very well, and carrying it around will not be too onerous on your body.

If you wait a few weeks, Tony Markle might be selling his 500 II lens soon.



Feb 11, 2013 at 03:37 AM
firstgear99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


PetKal wrote:
Based on what I've read about your interests and plans, and given that you seem to be doing a fair bit of travelling and photographing wildlife, there is one lens which in my opinion represents an optimum between practicality and performance: 500mm f/4 IS MkII with MkIII teleconverters. Yes, the lens is very expensive, but it does work very well, and carrying it around will not be too onerous on your body.

If you wait a few weeks, Tony Markle might be selling his 500 II lens soon.

I'm all ears! I was looking at the 500 f4 but they are bloody expensive, but a great lens should hold most of its value...



Feb 11, 2013 at 03:43 AM
PetKal
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


The 500 f/4 lenses have always done very well on the resale side of the market.However, 400 f/2.8IS MkI, 600 f/4 IS MkI and 800L have not done so well. Also, 400 DO resale value seems to drop by over $1,000 the moment you walk out of the store with it.

Over the past year, 500 II has emerged as my favourite.....it is fairly light, but it makes no performance compromises.



Feb 11, 2013 at 04:10 AM
Tenn.Jer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


I used and loved the 400 DO for a couple of years and have to say; its best attribute for me is its portability...lighter and more compact than the 300 2.8 IS, you can carry it all day, handholding every shot. The IS is remarkably effective, even though of an earlier generation. Still, image quality falls behind the rest of the big whites, and I eventually replaced it with a 300 2.8; I think - in sharpness, at least - that the 300 with a 1.4 extender is usually as good (i.e., sharp) as my 400 DO bare...

I have seen the results from 400 DO lenses that were all-around sharper and capable of more detail than I ever managed from mine; I know there is copy variation with this lens, from renting different ones on at least three occasions (I just couldn't make up my mind about the purchase ). I'm sure that many of these results came from photographers with considerably more skills than me, so i can't blame just the lens ... I've never owned a 400 2.8, but I used one once...a behemoth, for sure , but amazing performance...

I think that you'll have to decide which factors have the most importance for you personally...ease of use, IQ, etc...
Obviously, renting is an option to pursue; a few hours using the lens will tell you more than all of us ever can , no matter how well-meaning our advice...

Good luck, and have fun,
Jerry



Feb 11, 2013 at 04:19 AM
PetKal
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


Here's a picture: handheld 1DsMkII + 500 II + 2xTC MkIII. (Couldn't shoot with 1DX because at that time didn't have the f/8 firmware update available.)...1/800 sec, f/8, ISO 800.

That 1000mm combo is pretty good on stationary/slow targets, and not good on fast moving targets, using 1DMkIIN and 1DsMkII. Perhaps on 1DX the combo's AF becomes more responsive, but I haven't checked that yet.

Edited on Feb 12, 2013 at 02:39 AM · View previous versions



Feb 11, 2013 at 04:31 AM
firstgear99
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · 400 f2.8 vs 400mm DO f4


Great duck shot!


Feb 11, 2013 at 05:24 AM
1
       2       3       4       5       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password