Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Latest indoor Varsity Athletics

dj dunzie
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Latest indoor Varsity Athletics

Finally wrapping up my 2012-2013 college athletic commitments, and trying to keep above water for hockey work and oh yeah, that pesky daytime job that keeps interfering...

A mish-mash of quick shots. I'm really dying for some outdoor sunshine work soon, as I've spent most of the winter in the ISO nosebleeds, usually ISO6400-12800. Daytime LAX or baseball would be nice about now. But looking outside I guess I'm living in the wrong part of the world for that.

INDOOR SOCCER - MENS:

Thank God for better high ISO results in todays' bodies, because ISO12800 still leaves some motion blur here and there at this place...

(1) Love the eyes

(2) Juke n jive

(3) Yeah I know about the BG... but couldn't shoot from the other side, and would be worse anyway

(4) Not sure if this is dancing or soccer, but hey whatever works

INDOOR SOCCER - WOMENS:

Again ISO stratosphere, same facility...

(1) Focus

(2) Foot drag (and motion blur at ISO12800!)

(3) I dunno, just a standard isolation shot

And for something completely different... BADMINTON:

3 strobes, not well balanced.

(1) As close as I ever really come to a ROB (racquet on birdie)

(2) Going for the spike

(3) Coming to the net

(4) Airborne smash

Bring on the C&C...

Thanks for checking 'em out and CHEERS!!

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM
amlsml
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Latest indoor Varsity Athletics

Dj I really like the badminton series! that number 2 looks like he is suspended in air!

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:00 PM
hanson16
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Latest indoor Varsity Athletics

DJ,
Ive just shot some Badminton which I posted last week.Its probably as hard if not harder than Hockey,with backgrounds ,angles and nets getting in the way.Your technically on the money as always,and I love the lighting on 4s face.

What exposures are these ? as I had to shot iso8000 to get the shutter up to 1/640 which was the minimum I could get away with !

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Daniel Smith
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Latest indoor Varsity Athletics

You are photographing this but can't make a living doing it? Or you choose not to do so?

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Latest indoor Varsity Athletics

Cool to see some different sports, dj. Amazing to think that just a few years ago, pencil renderings would have been the best you could have hoped for! It also is interesting to see the difference between the ambient and the strobed shots. Really liking the 3-D feel to that second badminton shot. I also am liking that 'standard isolation' shot from the women's indoor soccer. I don't imagine these are sports that get a lot of media attention, so it's great you're able to capture the action. I can see why you're chomping at the bit to get outside! I wouldn't mind some of that myself...

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Latest indoor Varsity Athletics

Nice work as usual DJ. The indoor soccer ones are great and its nice to not see over processing to get rid of noise. There is still a level of noise which we will always have to deal with and you controlled it really well. Heck some noise isnt even that critical if the shots are like yours. #4 is probably an ax, but hilarious to see how players sometimes interact.

The badminton looks like a red nightmare, which you did a good job dealing with. I can only image the influence and headaches that can cause with strobes and mixed lighting.

Nicely done as always.

I feel ya on daylight games. Everything I have done is Friday night lights and BB... I am chomping at the bit for a sunny daylight ANYTHING game to shot! Maybe a nice park chess game would even make me happy!

Manny

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:29 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Latest indoor Varsity Athletics

Thanks for the look and comments everyone.

Marcus, the badminton ones were all strobed... so 1/250th is my sync speed on those.

Daniel... kind of a bit of both. I do sports photography (and photos in general) as a secondary occupation if you will... and limit the amount of work I take on. I'm not sure I'd be able to make a full-time go of it financially (although others do, no question) but I also think I would lose my enjoyment in it if I took on more assignments than I could handle at the pace I wanted to. It isn't so much the shooting as the legwork before and after, plus all the post work involved. I go bug-eyed staring at computer screens for too long.

Russ... you're right, these sports in particular are kind of the ugly step-sisters at the College level in some ways... but it's funny that I still get the sense that the athletes take great pride in their sports and the practice, prep and work involved in playing at their level isn't anything to sneeze at. It's just they aren't the big "draw" per se. Bring on the sunshine and warm temps for both of us any time now!

Manny... I appreciate your comments and you're spot on for how I feel too. I don't like over-processed high ISO images. I think the smeared detail looks WAY worse than a little grain, but especially when printed. You don't see noise there, but you do see smeared looking images. The red nightmare... it's TRUE!! Red upper walls and ceiling, meaning bounced strobes even amplify the red color cast, which is hard to balance with the ambient light coming from other sources. Astute observations. Glad to hear these aren't horrendous. They're building a new rec facility on campus for indoor Varsity sports, and here's hoping the red touches are gone!

Thanks again for the comments and thoughts everyone. CHEERS!

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:06 PM
pattywatty
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Latest indoor Varsity Athletics

Nice pics - very rare to see some badmitton so kudos for capturing those! Next to HS gyms I think wharehouse lighting like that for the soccer is next worse..haha... Spring lacrosse has started here in VA so can't wait until first games next month. Will be cold to start but at least it will be natural light!

Pat

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:52 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password