Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · what do you use for your albums ?

DimaVazinovich
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · what do you use for your albums ?

i've heard about the fundy software , the album builder and i tried the demo , it looks pretty nice and clear ,
easier and faster than the photofusion ,
what do you guys use for yours ?

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:19 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · what do you use for your albums ?

We use InDesign.

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · what do you use for your albums ?

InDesign is the only choice if you're a serious album designer who needs total control.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM
CraigB1960

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · what do you use for your albums ?

I have InDesign installed on my computer, but cannot seem to get the hang of it. I have loaded a wedding template design, but find that Lightroom 4 is much easier to use to design a wedding album. I just don't like the limited (blurb) album output.

For those that use InDesign, can you suggest any good books out there that are geared toward album design?
Regards,
Craig

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · what do you use for your albums ?

CraigB1960 wrote:
For those that use InDesign, can you suggest any good books out there that are geared toward album design?
Regards,
Craig

My wife purchased a video course from Photography Concentrate and was very happy with it. It's an album design course but really focuses on how to use InDesign.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · what do you use for your albums ?

You mentioned FotoFusion, and it was fairly easy to learn IMO. InDesign looks like a powerful and flexible product, but it comes at a high price and (what appears to be) a much longer learning curve.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:59 PM
CraigB1960

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · what do you use for your albums ?

johnrg wrote:
My wife purchased a video course from Photography Concentrate and was very happy with it. It's an album design course but really focuses on how to use InDesign.

Thanks! I will check it out.
Regards,
Craig Bennett

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM
khanhfat
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · what do you use for your albums ?

This video is excellent, please watch all 6 part and you're set to design your album.

Once you learn how to draw a box, drop in pics, resizing photos fitting the frames etc. You're all set. I usually open new document and size them as spread so the output jpegs is seamless without any gap if you do a 12 x12 size instead of 24 x12 size for example.

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:51 AM
DimaVazinovich
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · what do you use for your albums ?

i've tried using InDesign but from the couple times i tried it took some time to design one good album ,
with those other programs its faster from what i saw

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:49 AM
jolahern
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · what do you use for your albums ?

I'd strongly recommend downloading the trials and giving the various software a good try before making a final decision. Given the resources that go into the album side of things and fact the album is the main fruits of you work, it is important you settle on a software that you work will with, not only in terms of speed but also the creative side.

At the moment I use Indesign, if you are used to and like the Photoshop interface it is very similar. I downloaded the video tutorials from Photography Concentrate and found them very useful.
I've used Fundy, PageGallery and Photojunction in the past, I think the Fundy software is fantastic for designing albums in Photoshop, but I just did not gel with designing albums in Photoshop. PageGallery is great for templates but that is it, you can't edit the templates or design your own.

Photojunction is very good and does everything you need, and it is free, so try that. I downloaded a trial of Indesign and I just seem to work better with it than Photojunction, just work quicker with Indesign and have more confidence with it.
I went down the line of the Indesign monthly subscription and then to Adobe Creative Cloud to give Indesign a real chance. My intro offer with Creative Cloud ends in a few months so I have to make a decision if Indesign high cost is worth it over Photojunction.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:19 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · what do you use for your albums ?

Indesign here....

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:41 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · what do you use for your albums ?

Photojunction.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:10 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · what do you use for your albums ?

I dont do alot of albums, frankly I hate them even though Im good at it. lol Its a love/hate relationship because they are beautiful but do not like making them. Id rather outsource. In time I will.

I can make my spreads in PS which I started to do but I spent $50 on premade spreads I tweak in PS. Worth it for the time it saved me. Albums are a time consuming process... be it learning a program or DIY in PS/other program. I have an album style I stick to for all my albums. I add hints of the couple but they still have the same basic look. Less is more approach is my style.

I dont have an interest in other programs at the moment nor the time to learn it. My focus goes to other areas. I hear good things about Indesign, one day I'll have to play. Im a geek program junkie at heart.

However, I am curious. Would using Indesign be more efficient than using my current spread templates in PS? (once I learn the program) Im all about efficiency in work flow. Time is money.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:21 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · what do you use for your albums ?

CraigB1960 wrote:
I have InDesign installed on my computer, but cannot seem to get the hang of it. I have loaded a wedding template design, but find that Lightroom 4 is much easier to use to design a wedding album. I just don't like the limited (blurb) album output.

Regards,
Craig

AlbumFlow script for InDesign <<< this makes InDesign a whole lot easier to digest and use for our (wedding photographer) purposes.

Unfortunately, InDesign suffers from the same challenges as Photoshop, in that it has SO much functionality for so many different applications that it can be completely overwhelming for the inexperienced user trying to utilize a small subset of its features.

My best advice would be to check out youtube and AdobeTV on their website. There's lots of good tuts there.

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · what do you use for your albums ?

I can;t think of anything that I can't do in Photoshop. Seems like the choice for album design. Photoshop and Bridge

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:55 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · what do you use for your albums ?

PS here too.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM
liza
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · what do you use for your albums ?

I use Lumapix Fotofusion. I own Indesign but never use it, as I prefer the simplicity and ease of use of the Lumapix product.

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:51 PM
patrickL

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · what do you use for your albums ?

liza wrote:
I use Lumapix Fotofusion. I own Indesign but never use it, as I prefer the simplicity and ease of use of the Lumapix product.

+1 fotofusion

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:06 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · what do you use for your albums ?

patrickL wrote:
+1 fotofusion

+1 another one for FotoFusion. I've used both. I got pretty good at InDesign but still ended up back at FotoFusion because it is faster for me.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:32 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · what do you use for your albums ?

Photojunction here. It does have bugs but as long as you are careful, then the result is good.

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.