Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

allstarimaging
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

Not sure if this has been posted. Here is a link on a 30 minute National Geographic video that documented Steve McCurry as he shot with the last roll of Kodachrome film ever produced. Shot on a Nikon F6 and he used a D3x to meter and set his exposures. Nice video and here is the link..

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/13/the-end-of-an-era-steve-mccurry-shoots-the-final-roll-of-kodachrome-film/

Jack

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

Cool video. Thanks for posting!

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:36 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

A must view for all Photogs (capital P intended)......thanks for the link

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:16 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

Thank you so much for posting this... Shows you how a great photographer is a great human prior to that. Steve McCurry is an ethnographer & anthropologist in addition to a brilliant photographer. Such a wonderful ending to a legendary roll

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:38 AM
davidnholtjr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

Cool video.

Was not really a fan of the photo's he took with the last roll, but they did look great.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:11 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

The problem with a project like this is that you cannot expect a photographer with a lifetime body of work to summon all his skills together and suddenly produce his greatest 36 images ever; all contained on that one roll of film, over that short a period of time. He can come up with some nice shots, but maybe there will be no standouts at all.

It would be like asking the Rolling Stones to write their ten greatest songs ever for a final pressing of vinyl.

Don't think art happens that way.

Still, it was an interesting video.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:10 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

Love this one on a number of levels: India 11024

Before watching the video I couldn't imagine the pressure anyone would feel to shoot the last production roll of an iconic film. After watching the film I got the sense McCurry felt such a burden - no re-dos possible. Picture the first day walking out the door, with 36 exposures only, your own and the expectations of others riding high, thinking each exposed frame has to show off the film in the best way possible.

No surprise -- McCurry is human. I'm glad he had the opportunity to do this and enjoyed the nostalgic look. It's time I dug my archived slides out for a peek.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

michaelwatkins wrote: Love this one on a number of levels: India 11024

I have Steve McCurry's Limited Edition Iconic Photographs book and that shot is spectacular in large print. Like most of his work he gets incredible depth of color, and he often goes for very simplistic portraits with great textured backgrounds.

I also agree about him feeling burdened comment. Having only one opportunity with the last roll of Kodachrome and a National Geographic film crew in tow documenting your every move just adds to the pressure. McCurry is one of the truly great American photographers.

Jack

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

Nice start to my day - wish I didn't have to go to work so I could go out and shoot!

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

I was underwhelmed by the experience of watching the video and viewing the 36 images. I have a lot of respect for Steve McCurry's work and looked forward to seeing the images when I heard about it. Perhaps my expectations where too high.

I'm not sure what I missed but I feel I have seen better.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tony1
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

thanks for sharing im crying part of history

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:14 PM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:18 PM
freespirit
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

I enjoyed the link. The video and the story. Thanks for sharing.
Just thinking....I've got two rolls of unprocessed Kodak film from 2003. They have been sat on my desk for a while, calling me to get them processed. Must be now is a good time! Judging by McCurrys story. One says Spain on it. And another a visit to see a professor!

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:19 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

Just wondering why nobody mentions the glasses and gear that Steve McCurry uses. After all, this is supposed to be a gear forum, don't you think?

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:46 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

Michaelwakins said it all when he pointed out "... No redoes possible..." That as much as anything else, is why there is no more 'chrome made. Note too that any reversal film is very specialized-low speed and very contrasty. Tough to shoot ASA film in sunlight and have any detail in the shadows.

I capture a 1000 images (+ or -) of Flamenco dancers per show (at ISO 6400). And no I can't anticipate the ultimate moment because the dancers don't know their exact dance moves when they take the stage. Just not possible to load film that fast regardless of the cost of stock and developing.

I delete most of the images and am happy if I get a handful of Heros to photoshop. And that's a big deal too-the electronic darkroom without scanning the film. Note that No photographer wants to be graded on their ratio of heros to keepers. I felt that way when I had 36 (or 72 with two bodies) exposures and just as much now that I have 1000s of "exposures."

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:14 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

mshi wrote:
Just wondering why nobody mentions the glasses and gear that Steve McCurry uses. After all, this is supposed to be a gear forum, don't you think?

Actually, I don't.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:16 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

SoundHound wrote:
I capture a 1000 images (+ or -) of Flamenco dancers per show (at ISO 6400). And no I can't anticipate the ultimate moment because the dancers don't know their exact dance moves when they take the stage. Just not possible to load film that fast regardless of the cost of stock and developing.

I delete most of the images and am happy if I get a handful of Heros to photoshop. And that's a big deal too-the electronic darkroom without scanning the film. Note that No photographer wants to be graded on their ratio of heros to keepers. I
...Show more

I used to shoot motorsports in the 90s - and each race weekend I went through 40 to 60 rolls of slide film for just one racing series. It was expensive, but was it ever rewarding to find the shots on film that nobody else even tried to capture because of the high miss rate. Maybe 2 or 3 keepers per "experimental roll" was a good day. My photo lab lost a good account when I stopped shooting. We did not worry about shadow detail - impact was what it was we were after.

And the scanning... we wore out scanners, spent entire nights in motel rooms feeding slide after slide just to get something online quickly. Don't really miss those days. Thing is, I have to scan all my stuff one more time now, before the colors fade (never shot Kodachrome unless for 25 speed special effects)

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

I started with K64, so it's kind of sad to see it go. First slide film I ever used (although I went Valvia when that came out). Although I do on rare occasion miss shooting slide film, it doesn't take me long to get back to appreciating digital and all the flexibility that comes with it.

And I sure don't miss coming back from a trip with 30 or 40 rolls that need processed!

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:46 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Last roll of Kodachrome+Nikon+Steve McCurry

SoundHound wrote:
Michaelwakins said it all when he pointed out "... No redoes possible..." That as much as anything else, is why there is no more 'chrome made. Note too that any reversal film is very specialized-low speed and very contrasty. Tough to shoot ASA film in sunlight and have any detail in the shadows.

I capture a 1000 images (+ or -) of Flamenco dancers per show (at ISO 6400). And no I can't anticipate the ultimate moment because the dancers don't know their exact dance moves when they take the stage. Just not possible to load film that fast regardless of
...Show more

OK, I live in Porter Ranch, so, where are the Flamenco dancers?

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:54 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password