Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Three Rivers Petroglyph, NM

LandPirate
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Three Rivers Petroglyph, NM

I'm completely new to digital photography. The steep learning curve is proving to be challenging and enjoyable. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Pointers and advice appreciated.

Just got my first DSLR, a Canon T4i with two kit lenses (EF-S 18-55 IS II & 55-250 IS II). I'm quickly learning the limitations of these lenses and realize already that upgrades are in my near future. The wife and I recently went to Ruidoso, NM and took a side trip to Three Rivers Petroglyph. Very interesting place but I don't think it would be so interesting in the heat of summer. Everyone's thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by JimFox on Feb 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:57 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Three Rivers Petroglyph, NM

Hey Michael,

You have a nice kit to get started on, but yeah, the lenses you will want to upgrade as time goes on. While these petroglyphs are very cool to see, in regards to getting great landscapes from an area like this, it's going to be very difficult. Now if you had shot at a different time of day, either early or later so the light was softer would help. Having some clouds would really help. But these petrolyphs are stuck amongst a brushy scrubby area, so even with that, your chances of really being successful are limited.

#3 is my favorite composition from the group, again, better lighting and clouds would really help that. #1 is my favorite of your petroglyphs, but it has some pretty harsh light at the bottom of the shot, perhaps cropping off the bottom to lose that might help. Processing the shot with a layer mask to pull more detail in the bottom would help too, or just having shot that composition with softer light.

In #2, there is just too much brush and stuff poking up from the bottom... not too appealing. And #4 the hills seem too hidden in the background and there is a square shadow at the bottom that is distracting.

You will find as you go that watching the weather and shooting when the forecast has clouds, and also shooting when the light is the softest will have a great impact on your shots. As you grow in your photography, you will learn how to make midday cloudless shots look better, but in the end, there is just a limit in most locations as to what can do with those conditions.

I hope that helps,

Jim

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Three Rivers Petroglyph, NM

Thanks for the input Jim. I'd had the camera about a week when this trip came up. Honestly, I didn't have much clue as to what the heck I was doing. Furthermore, I shot all of these in JPEG. I've since been learning to shoot in RAW and experimenting with the photos. I'm also going to take some classes locally and try to improve my basic skills.

My only photo experience comes from shooting crime scenes so I tend to zero in on the subject. I have to break that habit.

As for the weather, I don't believe I saw a cloud in the sky the whole week. It was dry as a powder keg and my sinuses felt it too. I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks a bunch.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Three Rivers Petroglyph, NM

You've done a nice job recording the 'glyphs, so well done. We were there several years ago in summer, and it was hot. However, the couple who volunteer to host the campground there love it and have been choosing that site for years. Nice folks, and I'm glad someone is willing to take that particular post.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LandPirate
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Three Rivers Petroglyph, NM

Thanks Stan. Yeah, that location is just a wee bit too isolated for my liking. Might be fun for a week or two but then I'd lose interest. Besides, me and rattlesnakes don't get along very well. There's nothing worse than a sneaky snake.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:17 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Three Rivers Petroglyph, NM

Interesting shots. I love shooting in the desert, having lived here for all my life. I live ~100 miles from Tularosa, yet have never heard of this area. I'll definitely have to stop-in sometime.

Even though I've had a camera in my hands for more than 30 years, I too am learning. The last year or two in this forum has done more to help me than anything I've done in the previous years.

Thanks for sharing

Eric

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Three Rivers Petroglyph, NM

astro-ep wrote:
Interesting shots. I love shooting in the desert, having lived here for all my life. I live ~100 miles from Tularosa, yet have never heard of this area. I'll definitely have to stop-in sometime.

We have visited quite a few Native American rock art sites in the Southwest over the years. When we visited the Three Rivers site, we were amazed at the concentration of so many petroglyphs in such a small area. We appreciated the fact (at least when we visited) that there were few restrictions on exploring the area and that there was so little graffiti or other destruction.

Art

Feb 14, 2013 at 05:06 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Three Rivers Petroglyph, NM

Interestingly, Heuco Tanks, just East of El Paso, used to be open to the public. It was very popular with rock climbers. Some years ago, it was closed and access restricted, due to vandalism of the petroglyphs. They can now only be viewed by guided tour.

From their website:
"For the protection of natural and cultural resources at the park, visitation is limited. Special reservation and entry restrictions apply."

What a shame that folks can't see to protect this valuable history.

Eric

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password