Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · CPS evaluation loan question

mikeinctown
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · CPS evaluation loan question

I'll be heading to Las Vegas in a couple weeks and was planning on bring my 5D2 and a 24-105 and my 70-200. However, I've since learned that the Air Force is going to be conducting war games type exercises while I am there. The longest lens I have is a 300 f4L. (and a 1.4tc)

I am thinking about asking for a 400 5.6 or maybe even a 100-400L for an evaluation loan so I can get some closer shots. (I cannot afford a 500mm should it get damaged or stolen) My first question would be, will the 1.4tc work on these two lenses, and more importantly, how does the evaluation program work? Based on what I have read, you are shipped the lens to try, and you ship it back at your expense. However, there is no mention of deposits, billing, or anything else on my account page. I've emailed CPS and am waiting to hear back on the details, but I'm not sure how prompt they are. If anyone could provide some insight, I'd appreciate it.

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:20 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · CPS evaluation loan question

I don't believe the 5d2 will focus at f8 so the converter will work, but you'll have to manually focus with lens that is f5.6. For lens loan, you email cps and request a lens(I've always emailed them), but it has to be at least 2 weeks b4 you need it-I've found they are pretty firm on this. Then they send you the lens-usually by fed ex and you typically have it for 2 weeks and you have to ship it back to them by the date that they tell you. I believe you can borrow the same type of lens 3 times. There are no deposits or fee other than you are responsable for it while you have it so get it insured and mail it insured back to them. So that would be the only cost-insurance and postage. Another option would be to buy a used 100-400 on the buy/sell board and sell it when you are done with it. If you want something longer than 400mm, you could borrow a 400 f4 and use a 1.4x on it or borrow the 500 f4. I think there are FAQ's on lens/camera loans in the welcome packet or probably on the cps sight.

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:34 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #3 · CPS evaluation loan question

I was correct on the faq's, just google canon cps and it's one of the subcatagories. Here is the web address: http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/faq/faq.shtml

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:45 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · CPS evaluation loan question

Yep, I just borrowed a 5D-mk3. All the facts JohnBrose has are good. I did notice however that they stated the list price of a 5dm3 with a bag at $5580 even though they only insured it for $3319. Probably a typo.

It took them some time to acknowledge the return so that I could feel off the hook enough to purchase my own 5d3.

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:29 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · CPS evaluation loan question

Keep in mind the CPS loan is for two weeks total, including shipping to and from. So your actual use time is just over a week, unless you next day air ship it back. Still, it is under two weeks total and they don't do extensions. You'll also need to check on availability and their ship dates -- usually it is scheduled in advance and at their convenience of returns from previous CPS member loan.

I've managed to use their gear for a couple assignments, but they were for a couple days within the loan period, so I was well bracketed time-wise, plus, I made plans for back-up gear in case the CPS stuff didn't come through. Also, scheduled a month or two in advance. Both times I was successful in getting the gear following that method.

If you need gear for two weeks or more, I recommend renting, or better buying (then sell at the end of the needed time period, or keep).

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:44 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #6 · CPS evaluation loan question

Thanks for the replies. I am at the two week window as of today, so I'd have to request a lens tomorrow AM. As it stands now, I'll either borrow a 100-400 or just use my 300+1.4. Everything I have read suggests the 1.4 converter and 100-400 produce not so great images.

I think what concerns me is insuring it for a week or two. Since I'll be flying and and staying in a hotel for 4 nights I don't want to bring anything I cannot insure. I have a personal articles policy with State Farm, but I do not know if I can increase coverage for a loaner.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:01 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #7 · CPS evaluation loan question

For insurance, call your agent and check. I have a commercial photo equipement policy so it's probably a little different, but I just call and add the lens to my policy and then when I'm done, they remove it from the policy and credit me back any premium that wasn't used as if I had it for the whole year. My policy doesn't really have a provision for rental-which you aren't actually doing so I just treat the lenses as I've purchased them. If you actually go through a rental place like lensrentals.com-they have insurance that you buy through them-this is much easier. Typically a $5000 lens I think costs me about $25 to insure it for the two weeks. For Ben, the difference in the price is because they refer to the suggested list price instead of the "street" price. I've been amazed at the list prices of some of the large telephotos when I get them-and that was the previous versions! Mike, you are correct in what you've heard on the 1.4 with 100-400-not very good at all. I would doubt you really need more than a 400mm at most air shows tho. The aircraft try to preform close enough to the crowd. I actually like using a superwide at those events so I can get close to the parked items and have less people in the shot. One nice thing you might want to bring is a step stool/ladder to get above the crowd-just depends on how much walking you'll be doing and what they allow in.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:37 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #8 · CPS evaluation loan question

If your worried just don't do it. I took a loaner on a 200 f2 over thanksgiving. Was a lot of fun. Cost like a 100 bucks to insure and return shop though

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:49 PM
nalax

p.1 #9 · CPS evaluation loan question

Last month CPS loaned me a 70-200mm F/2.8 II with a loan period of 10 days. I had it for a week and the return period used up the rest of the window. I guess the loan period may vary according to the demand of the specific equipment. It's an excellent service.

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:28 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #10 · CPS evaluation loan question

Gunzorro wrote:
Keep in mind the CPS loan is for two weeks total, including shipping to and from. So your actual use time is just over a week, unless you next day air ship it back. Still, it is under two weeks total and they don't do extensions. You'll also need to check on availability and their ship dates -- usually it is scheduled in advance and at their convenience of returns from previous CPS member loan.

I've managed to use their gear for a couple assignments, but they were for a couple days within the loan period, so I was well
...Show more

+1

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Roland W
• • •
p.1 #11 · CPS evaluation loan question

Have you ever shot aircraft there? I have been to the big annual air show in early November many times, which is good access, but on the days before shows the opportunities for shooting from outside the base are much more limited. The actual war game type exercises occur North of the base, and there is really no public access up that way. There will likely be a lot of air traffic taking off and landing, and there is one spot almost under the line of approach and departure at the Southwest end of the base that is a public road you can shoot from. From there you may not have any real use for a long lens, and may do fine with your 70 - 200 and a 1.4 extender.

Try to find better knowledge of where is good to shoot from for Red Flag type of activity, but you will likely be limited to takeoffs and landings, and not high altitude maneuvering or low level flights past you. Then put the November air show on your calendar, and try to get to it, along with the other 200,000 or so people that go that weekend.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:31 AM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #12 · CPS evaluation loan question

I know I'm not going to get any aerial shots but according to the website there are 125 aircraft that take part. I'll have to figure out the access road you are talking about. I'll just pack my 300L and use that. I'm sure if I don't get the shots this year I'll get them the next time. Half my family lives out there, so there is always a backup reason to go.

We have an air show in Cleveland every year that I will get a loaner for, or at least attempt to get one. At least I won't worry about anything getting stolen from baggage or a hotel room.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:45 AM
3iron
• •
p.1 #13 · CPS evaluation loan question

Is you 300 a 2.8? If so, it will blow the socks off the 100x400 and you will be shooting at f4. The 300 seems a better combnatin than any of the others you suggested. You can also use it with a 2x tho the results will be less spectactular.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:29 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #14 · CPS evaluation loan question

Just want to revive this thread to ask a question.

I understand that the period of two weeks is from the date they ship it and I need to get the item back to them in 14 days from the date they ship it out.

My question is, what's the penalty if I miss the due date? Say, by a day? Not that I'd want to do it. Just curious.

Apr 07, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Curtiss Bryant
• •
p.1 #15 · CPS evaluation loan question

Wahoowa wrote:
Just want to revive this thread to ask a question.

I understand that the period of two weeks is from the date they ship it and I need to get the item back to them in 14 days from the date they ship it out.

My question is, what's the penalty if I miss the due date? Say, by a day? Not that I'd want to do it. Just curious.

Depending on the item, you can ask for a 2-3 day extension assuming that no one else is in line to loan it. I dont think there is a penalty per se (maybe harder time getting one in the future) but it kinda screws up the whole system when people turn them in late.

Apr 07, 2013 at 01:25 PM
donmega
• •
p.1 #16 · CPS evaluation loan question

Wahoowa,

I've always shipped back on the day of or a day before the due date without penalty. I've borrowed lenses and bodies and I've never been told that I was in violation of the loan agreement. Nor have I been denied a loan because of it. YMMV, just adding my experience. You may also want to call and talk to your CPS rep.

Apr 07, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #17 · CPS evaluation loan question

i have had great experience with them..extended time with no issues,,returned with no issues, They are a top nothc service..although they are a little slow in correspondence depending upon what you deem as slow,,,I kinda expect replies within hours of email,,it might take them a day or so..for me thats slow for others it might be fast

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:13 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · CPS evaluation loan question

Last October I borrowed the 500 f4. I did not allow sufficient return shipping time and ended having to ship FedEx over-nite. Cost almost $500.00. This February FedEx lost the package( 600 f4) and it took almost 1 1/2 months to locate.. Canon was very gracious in not blaming me, or pressuring me.. But, they went after FedEx "Big Time". Was later found in Canon warehouse...

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:37 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #19 · CPS evaluation loan question

i wound up not getting a CPS loaner because I didn't want the insurance liability, and I got a great deal on a 100-400 that I took with me. Wound up being sick the entire time so I didn't shoot all that much.

Anyway, I now have a 35L that I got on Friday which is due back on the 17th, which is exactly 2 weeks from their ship date. One thing that confuses me however is their terms regarding liability. When they sent me the lens they claim the insured value is just north of $1,100, but the retail on the lens is $1,900. Now, if something happened to the lens, and Canon says it is only worth $1,100, then why would they expect me to give them $1,900 if something happened?

Apr 08, 2013 at 05:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password