Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

drbob
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

Looking for a reasonable compact (i.e. P & S) camera with underwater capability for snorkeling shots.

Any recommendations... whether Canon or not?

thanks,
bb

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:44 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #2 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

many if not most of the Canon P&S cameras have underwater housings available. They are rated quite deep and have worked very well for us. We've repaired rather than replaced my wife's SD850 so we can continue to use it with its housing.

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Hunt-man

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

I have a D20 and it is ok. I carry it when I'm fishing, tucked into my waders. It is good down to 10 meters. Seems to take good pictures for a P+S

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:02 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

I like my Panasonic TS4. Good IQ (for a compact) and more pocketable than the D20.

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:49 PM
MaxPollock

p.1 #5 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

Go Pro 3??

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:40 PM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #6 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

drbob wrote:
Looking for a reasonable compact (i.e. P & S) camera with underwater capability for snorkeling shots.

Any recommendations... whether Canon or not?

thanks,
bb

Pentax makes a couple P&S's good down to 45 feet, and they have zoom lenses.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:15 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #7 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

I don't know about waterproof cameras, but I snagged a waterproof housing here for my G12, and it works like a charm for snorkeling.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

drbob
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

Thanks for the feedback!

bb

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM
robsuh
• •
p.1 #9 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

I went to Hawaii with a Panasonic TS3. It did the job okay, but I really wished I had something that shot RAW. The underwater colors were completely off (deep blue shifting to cyan.) Which I assume shooting in RAW could fix.

I can still vividly remember snorkeling in Molikini, but the pictures do not reflect what I remember.

It would cost more, but check out some of the Canon cams that have underwater housings. I would probably go with the S90/95/100/110 and their respective Canon UW housings. The G1X with the WP-DC44 looks bulky+expensive, but could be fun. Especially with the larger sensor size on the G1X.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #10 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

S95 for me. I used one for a trip and it was awesome.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:20 AM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #11 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

robsuh wrote:
I went to Hawaii with a Panasonic TS3. It did the job okay, but I really wished I had something that shot RAW. The underwater colors were completely off (deep blue shifting to cyan.) Which I assume shooting in RAW could fix.

I can still vividly remember snorkeling in Molikini, but the pictures do not reflect what I remember.

It would cost more, but check out some of the Canon cams that have underwater housings. I would probably go with the S90/95/100/110 and their respective Canon UW housings. The G1X with the WP-DC44 looks bulky+expensive, but could be fun. Especially with the
...Show more

I second this observation.

FWIW, I shoot in RAW with my G12 in its underwater housing. Out of the box, the color was always all wrong, but it's easy to fix the white balance in LR.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:25 PM
ekoe

p.1 #12 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

from what i'm reading, the hottest stuff at the moment is the olympus pen or the sony nex for p & s. maybe worth checking.

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #13 · Rec for reasonable compact underwater camera?

If anyone knows of a deal on a good waterproof case for an S100, let me know. The shot of the turtle with the S95 looks good.
Thanks
Steve

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password