New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

Epson presently has a rebate on both printers, and I been considering one. Read many reviews by owners of both units at vendor sites.. It seems owners of both units are very pleased with there purchase, with the exception of blacks using the same line, and when you want to change blacks, a lot of waste materializes.

The 3000 has 24ml ink cartriges and the 3880 has 80ml cartriges. 80 minus 24 puts the 3880 56 ml more ink.

At $859 for the 3880 and

$619 for the 3000

When you factor in the 56ml more ink at about $250 more, for the 3880, it appears the bang for the buck goes to the 3880. As ink is what is costly.

Other + for the 3880 is, it can handle a larger paper if needed. Also read in another thread here, that folks owning the 3880 did not have clogged nozzles when not using printer for periods of time.

In a nut shell is the 3880 the better printer vs the 3000.

Only thing that is not totally clear....will the 3880 give you a better print vs the 3000...

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

This topic was discussed pretty thoroughly a few weeks back:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1177380/0?keyword=epson,3000,3880#11223490

If you print regularly, and need more than 13" wide, the 3880 is definitely worth it for the extra ink you get and the lower ink price.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

Get the 3880. Great printer.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

If you want or need 17 inches and don’t need roll feed, then there is little choice but the 3880. The next step up and roll feed would be either the Canon 5100 or Epson 4900, both of which are much larger printers.

For 13 inch printers the choice is much greater, with the Epson 2880 or 3000 and Canon 9500 II, Pro 10 or Pro 1. With the Canon’s you do not have the black ink change waste, with the Epson’s you need to batch matte and photo prints to conserve ink.

I don’t know how important roll feed is to you, but the 3880’s 37.4 inch max length should be long enough for most panos. Canvas is definitely easier with roll and suction feed, but the 2 inch cores of the 3000 can be a pain to deal with and there aren’t many quality papers available on 2 inch cores.

The extra resolution of the 3000 is going to be impossible to see from normal viewing distances. In fact, for most papers I print at 1440 dpi, even with the option of 2880 dpi.

Brian A

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:08 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

Made up my mind and went with the 3880..

Now a couple question regarding paper. Have 0 experience...

1) I belong to a couple photo clubs locally and need to print out 8x10 for the weekly theme. What paper do you recommend

2) Next I enter into competition that requires prints , what paper for that.

3) Finally what paper, if I want wall hangers in my home

thanks for looking

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:53 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

IndyFab wrote:
1) I belong to a couple photo clubs locally and need to print out 8x10 for the weekly theme. What paper do you recommend
2) Next I enter into competition that requires prints , what paper for that.
3) Finally what paper, if I want wall hangers in my home

Unless the competition or your club has rules about that, then it is totally a personal thing.

Buy sample packs from your choice of Canson-Infinity, Hahnemühle, Harman, Ilford, Moab, Museo, Innova, Red River, etc, then make your decisions:

http://www.itsupplies.com/Samples

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Type%2fStyle_Sampler&ci=1118&N=4077634583+4294954869

Brian A

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:17 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

Thanks for the link Brian. I ordered up a few different sample packs from different manufacutres, that should help me zero in on what I like.

Oh course, others can continue to comment on papers of there preference.

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:15 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

My own favorites:

Harman Gloss Baryta (Distributed by Hahnemühle): full but soft gloss
Canson Platine: cotton pearl/lustre/satin (similar papers include Museo Silver Rag and Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl.
Canson Baryta Photographique: fibre based pearl/satin/ lustre, similar papers include Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Canson Rag Photographique: smooth matte cotton, similar papers include Hahnemühle Photo Rag
Canson BFK Rives: smooth cotton paper but not as smooth Rag Photographique
Hahnemühle German Etching: medium textured fibre based paper which despite the texture holds detail very well.
Arches Aquarelle (Canson ): heavily textured cotton watercolor paper

There are also a bunch of ‘velvet’ (soft textured cotton) papers I use occasionally, all made by St Cuthbert’s Mill in Somerset, England. You will find them from Epson, HP, Canon, Moab, and Breathing Color; they usually have ‘velvet’ or Somerset’ as part of their names.

Eric Chan (Adobe Systems) has a list of his favorites for the 3800/3880 at:
http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/papers.html

And if you are interested in lighter/mid weight, photo (rather than fine art) papers, then Red River is quite popular and do a very cheap sample pack at:
http://www.redrivercatalog.com/samples/index.html

Brian A

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:51 PM
nodal

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

hugowolf wrote:
I don’t know how important roll feed is to you, but the 3880’s 37.4 inch max length should be long enough for most panos.
Brian A

Brian do you just cut the lengths you need from roll stock to print 37 inch long on the 3880?

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:19 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

nodal wrote:
Brian do you just cut the lengths you need from roll stock to print 37 inch long on the 3880?

I do cut from 17 inch roll paper occasionally, but more often cut from 24 x 36 inch sheets. I prefer to print on sheets whenever possible so there is no decurling to deal with.

A 24 x 36 inch sheet gives you a 16 x 36 inch pano, with three 8 x 12 inch leftovers, or two 12 x 36 inch panos. Or, more normally, avoiding the stupid US 17 x 22 inch size, two 17 x 24 inch sheets, with only 2 inches of waste.

I run a 44 inch roll feed printer too, so the only time I use the 3880 for cut roll paper is to avoid a black ink swap.

Brian A

Edited on Feb 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:08 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

Brian, once again, much thanks on the paper referrals. You have been quite helpful. I really appreciate it.

When reading some reviews on the 3880, one of the reviewers commented that he had no experience printing, and recommended "From Camera to Print" by Michael Reichmann from Luminous Landscape site. He supposedly takes you through the entire workflow from calibrating the monitor to the finished print. Anyone out there have any experience with this, or possibly refer something simular.

Another thing I ran into when researching, was about quality 3rd party ink. Specfically Jon Cone Inks, Any experience with it, or best to stay with Epson Ink

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:24 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

IndyFab wrote:
Brian, once again, much thanks on the paper referrals. You have been quite helpful. I really appreciate it.

Paper is really a personal thing, you may hate every paper I recommend

When reading some reviews on the 3880, one of the reviewers commented that he had no experience printing, and recommended "From Camera to Print" by Michael Reichmann from Luminous Landscape site. He supposedly takes you through the entire workflow from calibrating the monitor to the finished print. Anyone out there have any experience with this, or possibly refer something simular.

There is a newer version: From Camera to Print and Screen, it can be recommended
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/tutorials/camera_to_print_and_screen.shtml
it uses the Epson r3000 as the example printer

Another thing I ran into when researching, was about quality 3rd party ink. Specfically Jon Cone Inks, Any experience with it, or best to stay with Epson Ink

I think you are rather jumping the gun there. With 80 ml cartridges, I know of amateur photographers who are on their third year and still with the original cartridges. If for example you find you need to replace the cartridges twice in say five years, then third party inks aren't worth considering. If you amortize the cost of the printer and look at paper costs, then ink costs are low in comparison. I'd wait till you see what your usage levels are.

And don't change a cartridge until it runs out. It can say 1% for quite some time.

Brian A

Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 09:08 PM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

I'm pretty boring, but I like consistency. I always use Epson inks and either epson premium luster or ilford luster for paper. I don't experiment much because I want to be able to tell my clients that the prints will have good longevity and don't know if the 3rd party papers/inks live up to that. I get my printer supplies from atlantic exchange-atlex.com I think. They have very good customer service and good prices. good luck with the new printer.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

Roger all said Brian. Thanks John for your thoughts and experience.

I sent a request to Michael Reichmann sales support team, asking to buy a DVD of Camera to Print and Screen, as I live rural and high speed internet is not available for me. I use an air card (wireless), and its hit or miss at best of times.

I hope they can, as I am definately going to need it, to get up and running..

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

Discovered Camera to Print and Speed is only available as a download. So if anyone has one, I am willing to pay for a copy on CD/DVD

Much appreciated

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:58 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

There is Fine Art Printing for Photographers
http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Art-Printing-Photographers-Exhibition/dp/1933952318

Or Jeff Schewe has what is basically the first half of From Camera to Print and Screen out in book form,
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Negative-Processing-Lightroom-Photoshop/dp/0321839579/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360607860&sr=1-1&keywords=jeff+schewe
… but you will have to wait till May for what may be to you the more pertinent second book:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Print-Preparing-Lightroom-Photoshop/dp/0321908457/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360607860&sr=1-3&keywords=jeff+schewe

Brian A

Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 04:39 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:41 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

Once again Brian, your resourcefulness is much appreciated.. Thank you Sir...

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:36 PM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

hugowolf wrote:
My own favorites:

Harman Gloss Baryta (Distributed by Hahnemühle): full but soft gloss
Canson Platine:
cotton pearl/lustre/satin (similar papers include Museo Silver Rag and Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl.
Canson Baryta Photographique:
fibre based pearl/satin/ lustre, similar papers include Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
Canson Rag Photographique:
smooth matte cotton, similar papers include Hahnemühle Photo Rag
Canson BFK Rives:
smooth cotton paper but not as smooth Rag Photographique
Hahnemühle German Etching:
medium textured fibre based paper which despite the texture holds detail very well.
Arches Aquarelle (Canson ): heavily textured cotton watercolor paper

There are also a bunch of ‘velvet’ (soft textured cotton) papers I use occasionally, all made by
...Show more

Have you tried Breathing Color Vibrance Rag? I'm tempted to order the 17"x20' sample roll based on a few reviews.

Sal

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:05 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

Sal Baker wrote:
Have you tried Breathing Color Vibrance Rag? I'm tempted to order the 17"x20' sample roll based on a few reviews.

No, I haven't tried it. Like most Breathing Color papers, it has too high an OBA content for me. Canson Platine, Museo Silver Rag, and Hahnemühle Photo Rag Pearl are better alternatives for my needs.

Breathing Color shipping costs to the east coast are also crazy – not something you will have to deal with. The only paper I use from them is Elegance Velvet, and that for legacy reasons – I have some prints that were made with that paper originally, and have to reprint occasionally.

If the shipping costs weren't so high, I might have (and still may) look at a sample roll of Pura Velvet; it is OBA free. It is difficult to find OBA free velvet paper.

Breathing Color are best known for their canvases.

Brian A

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:06 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Epson 3000 vs 3880

JohnBrose wrote:
I'm pretty boring, but I like consistency. I always use Epson inks and either epson premium luster or ilford luster for paper. I don't experiment much because I want to be able to tell my clients that the prints will have good longevity and don't know if the 3rd party papers/inks live up to that. I get my printer supplies from atlantic exchange-atlex.com I think. They have very good customer service and good prices. good luck with the new printer.

I too do a lot of printing on Epson Premium Lustre, but not much for my own work. The gloss differential isn't bad, but it is there.

Brian A

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.