Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · questions @ replacement foot for 500mm f/4 v1

dorian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · questions @ replacement foot for 500mm f/4 v1

hey folks

as i am handholding my rig more and more, the paint is wearing off a bit on the foot - this is how i carry it around, but the foot. i was thinking of slapping on a replacement foot just to maintain the cosmetic appearance of the factory foot in case i decide to sell it in the future. i realize the foot has zero influence on how well the lens performs, but to have a factory in good condition might speak the overall care of the lens and affect resale value.

so, any suggestions on replacement feet?

i see the rrs L-50 for about 100 bucks, and a low profile jonu foot on b+h for 65.

what i want to know is can you still get your fingers between the lens and the foot with these low profile feet? will the foot still act like the factory foot as a carrying handle? any info would be greatly appreciated.

if you have a foot you are looking to sell, please do not hesitate to contact me.

also, if anyone knows what size allen wrench you need to change the foot, that info would also be nice info to have moving forward.

thanks

dorian

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:52 PM
blonde
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · questions @ replacement foot for 500mm f/4 v1

Hi Dorian,

I have the RRS foot and have used pretty much all the others. To me, the RRS is the best on out there because it is so comfortable to hold and carry. Even with gloves, I was able to put my fingers between the Lens and foot and carry it.

Also, since I sold my lens, I do have the RRS foot for sale and since I am local to you (Newton, MA) you are more than welcome to come and try it out on your lens and see if you like it.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · questions @ replacement foot for 500mm f/4 v1

Hi Dorian,

I use the RRS foot because of its integral Arca-Swiss plate grooves, not because I want to keep the original foot pretty. As long as the lens has no dings & dents, and no paint chips, a few slight marks on the foot make no difference to resale value. I think you get better protection value from a set of LensCoat covers, because the lens is heavy enough to scratch itself if you lay it down on something pointy.

You'll get an Allen wrench and new screws with the RRS replacement foot, or at least I did when I bought mine a few years ago.

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:34 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · questions @ replacement foot for 500mm f/4 v1

That RRS is probably the best foot all around for 500 MkI, although, unfortunately, not the lowest profile foot out there (the lowest profile foot is not good as a handle, while the RRS is).

The foot comes with the key wrench only, since the original foot bolts are to be reused with the replacement foot.

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:09 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · questions @ replacement foot for 500mm f/4 v1

ok, rrs foot looks like a very viable option. thanks for the info folks!

dorian

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · questions @ replacement foot for 500mm f/4 v1

+1 for RRS!

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:55 AM
ashley138
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · questions @ replacement foot for 500mm f/4 v1

I've got the RRS foot on mine and I carry it that way as well - works great. I think it is actually a little longer than the original foot and I think the lens balances better w/ it. I will also mention the person I bought mine from didn't even have the original foot but he had the rrs one on there - I still paid just as much for it as I wouldve with the normal foot. My point being I don't think this will matter one way or another for resale - so do what feels best for your shooting prefernces.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · questions @ replacement foot for 500mm f/4 v1

I like a low profile foot better. It's less good as a handle if you carry the lens in it. But better when shooting and having the lens on a tripod or monopod. Also better when having the lens in a bag or backpack

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:35 PM
skier860

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · questions @ replacement foot for 500mm f/4 v1

I agree with ashley138. It definitely balances better because there is adjustment.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:51 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · questions @ replacement foot for 500mm f/4 v1

I use the 4th Generation because of the low profile but I don't carry my rig by the foot. I use a shoulder strap worn bandoleer style and swing it up to shoot HH. I find this more comfortable for long hikes.

When I do mount it to a tripod or monopod the 4th Generation balances great.

Jim

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:28 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password