• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · An unlikely alliance...long post bring your coffee

Lil Judd wrote:
Wonderful series Eric,

I love all that's species interaction

Lucky you

Lil

Thanks LIl...Yup, I was quite lucky. I actually expected to see this dog but when I got there was told it hadn't been sighted in a while....so I was really happy that we found it and got to photograph her in good light and on the move.
Eric

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · An unlikely alliance...long post bring your coffee

Terrific story in words and pictures, Eric.
Wild dogs always look skinny- no doubt because they are long-distance runners. Ever see a fat Marathoner? . This female looks even healthier than those I've seen pics of, so she is clearly a successful hunter.
I know that wild dogs are considered pack animals, but I've heard they don't really hunt as an organized pack the way wolves do (i.e spacing themselves to drive their prey in a wide circle). Mostly, wild dogs all do the same thing at the same time- they chase their prey. The first dog to grab the prey holds it until the others get there. Then they feed as a pack, return to the den to feed any babies, etc.
If that's true, there is no reason why a smart and fast wild dog can't hunt successfully alone.
But the whole thing regarding the jackals is an amazing fascination, and open to several valid possibilities.
The more people learn about wildlife, the more we realize that among many species their normal behavior is not their ONLY behavior.
Your story in words and pictures helps confirm that. Who'da thunk?
Charlie

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Jude Perera
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · An unlikely alliance...long post bring your coffee

Very interesting and informative story Eric followed by some nice behavioral shots. Thanks for presenting it so well.

Jude

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:16 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · An unlikely alliance...long post bring your coffee

Great story and wonderful shots Eric. These to me depict truly wild animals, nothing about them seems to be any other way, they are out looking for food and it isn't easy to get. These are also two animals I would love to see, I have been fascinated with wild dogs for a long time. Their pack hunting transcends the big cats team style in my mind. There is a lot going on in those skulls that we have so little understanding of. The Jackals are such handsome critters, just seeing them in your shots is a treat, seeing them in person must be mind blowing! Love the set my friend!!

Tim

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · An unlikely alliance...long post bring your coffee

Fascinating!!!!! Absolutely amazing story

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.