Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · GPS Unit for Nikon D7000?

goobers
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GPS Unit for Nikon D7000?

I am looking into purchasing a GPS unit for my Nikon D7000 and was wondering if anyone has feedback on the following options I've identified, or if there are other products on the market i should research:

Nikon GP-1
Promote GPS-N-90
Aokatec AK-G7

TIA

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:24 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GPS Unit for Nikon D7000?

I have an Aokatec bluetooth model for my D300. I've been happy with it, though it's a little different from the one you're looking at since my actual GPS acquisition is done via an external GPS device.

I just wanted to mention that I decided against a hotshoe mounted device for a number of reasons:

- My wireless remote trigger sits in the hotshoe
- I keep the GPS attached most of the time, and didn't want to have to remove it to use either the built-in or an external flash
- I didn't like the additional cable running from the connector to the hotshoe, it's just something to snag

I'm looking into an Aokatec AK-G1 now because I want to do away with an extra battery powered device for long trips away from electricity.

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:54 AM
goobers
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GPS Unit for Nikon D7000?

Binary - That's a really good point about the hotshoe mounted devices, I wasn't even thinking about that (my wireless remote is placed on the hotshoe, but presumably i can have that tied to my tripod or something.

What type of gps acquisition device do you use separately?

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:12 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GPS Unit for Nikon D7000?

goobers wrote:
I am looking into purchasing a GPS unit for my Nikon D7000 and was wondering if anyone has feedback on the following options I've identified, or if there are other products on the market i should research:

Nikon GP-1
Promote GPS-N-90
Aokatec AK-G7

TIA

I use Promote GPS' - when I don't want them on the hot shoe, I use their included clip on the camera strap.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:22 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GPS Unit for Nikon D7000?

lukeb wrote:
I use Promote GPS' - when I don't want them on the hot shoe, I use the included clip on the camera strap.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:23 PM
goobers
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GPS Unit for Nikon D7000?

lukeb - would the Promote unit attach to a handstrap or tripod securely with their clip (i normally don't use a neck strap)?

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:52 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GPS Unit for Nikon D7000?

I have used an Opteka receiver without problems on several Nikon bodies including the pro bodies. This is a very cheap alternative: see for example:
http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-GPN-1-Geotagging-Shutter-Release/dp/B005D84SDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360530427&sr=8-1&keywords=gps+nikon

and my mini review
http://www.techniphoto.com/wiki/index.php?title=Geotagger

Guy

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:10 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GPS Unit for Nikon D7000?

goobers wrote:
Binary - That's a really good point about the hotshoe mounted devices, I wasn't even thinking about that (my wireless remote is placed on the hotshoe, but presumably i can have that tied to my tripod or something.

What type of gps acquisition device do you use separately?

I use a Holux M-1000C, but any bluetooth enabled GPS tracker will work.

As noted above, you can clip hotshoe-mounted trackers to a strap, but only if you use/have a strap, it's less than great if you're using a tripod and want your hotshoe free (dangling strap = dangling GPS), and obviously it only works if you're using a strap to begin with.

Plus, as I noted, I just don't want the extra wire. I find the small Aokatec adapter mounted in the 9-pin to be pretty unobtrusive.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:14 PM
Stokesey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GPS Unit for Nikon D7000?

Have used the Nikon GP-1 and the Photix with differing connectors 10 pin and the other style for the 3200 7000 etc

My only complaint on these two models, which seem to be the same unit Photoix is half the Nikon price, is that they suck the life out of your batteries ... So make sure you have plenty of spares if out for the day before recharges. Probably need four batteries for a day. And if its cold more ...

Hope it helps

Stokesey

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GPS Unit for Nikon D7000?

I use a solmeta gotagger pro 1 and 2 I have interchangeable cables for both the D4 and D7000. they have proven to be quite reliable though I would never put them on the strap. both bodies have the capability to accept a BT unit so you can go wireless too

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:18 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.