Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Deploy a 24-70mm f2.8 on a D7000?

AmbientMike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Deploy a 24-70mm f2.8 on a D7000?

Equivalent to 36-105 on ff. I'd rather have wide but if you don't want or need it , might work for you. Very useful focal lengths. For portraits it would be better on aps, 24 kinda iffy for ff portraits imo you have to watch it.

You should do what works for you. Its Your money & your photos. I probably wouldn't do it but what difference does that make?

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:57 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Deploy a 24-70mm f2.8 on a D7000?

Have you considered wider or longer lenses? What do you shoot? I used a Tamron 28-80 quite a bit on Canon aps. Useful.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Deploy a 24-70mm f2.8 on a D7000?

AmbientMike wrote:
Have you considered wider or longer lenses? What do you shoot? I used a Tamron 28-80 quite a bit on Canon aps. Useful.

I have considered other lenses also. I really notice the IQ and other benefits of better lens. I am just at a stumbling point of putting a lens on a camera where the lens cost 2X the camera body.

That just seems wrong!!

I am also thinking about the 24mm f2.8AF as that lens gets excellent reviews and appears to be identical or better than the 24-70 @ 24mm. At least I could try out the lens to find out if the FL suits me and only risk a couple hundred dollars, compared to a 400 to 600 loss on a 24-70.

I just checked, I have taken 4K pics with the D7000 in 2 years, I am not a heavy duty shooter. I got the time to test.

I would like to own a zoom, but, sometimes reality trumps NAS!!

So it looks like (for now) I will probably try the 24mm f2.8 AF on the next trip to the camera store.

Of course, that will be after I see the new Bruce Willis Die Hard movie in IMAX, maybe that movie will convince me to get the zoom. (brain fry!! )

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Deploy a 24-70mm f2.8 on a D7000?

SweetMk wrote:
I am just at a stumbling point of putting a lens on a camera where the lens cost 2X the camera body.

That just seems wrong!!

Then you have the economics of proper photography expenditure backwards.

Of course, having said that, there are several high quality lenses available for DX cameras that do not cost an arm & leg... You could do fine with a 16-85mm

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Deploy a 24-70mm f2.8 on a D7000?

SweetMk wrote:
At least I could try out the lens to find out if the FL suits me and only risk a couple hundred dollars,

You already have a lens to try out and see if the FL suits you, and risk zero dollars. Seriously, set your 18-70 to 24mm and use it for a while.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:20 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Deploy a 24-70mm f2.8 on a D7000?

Things get carried away in the expenditure department on this forum.

I used to have a 24/2.8 af I think it was pre D. Good lens. Ken Rockwell claims all 24/2.8's are the same, basically. 1970's and up I think. Who knows but an old used one might be an option.

Check compatibility though. Not terribly familiar with Nikon digital but you may need a G lens with your body for af.

What fl do you use now? On your 18-70? If you aren't using 24 that much now, probably no point in picking up a prime. You could always go "old school " and pick up 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8 and have f/2 throughout the longer end of the range. Of course I prefer to be able to change fl with minimal effort, but some prefer primes. And in general they are considered to have have better iq.

I prefer zooms even if I get a slight quality loss. You seem to want absolute quality. That might be an argument for primes, though their advantage seems overstated.

I think you should try primes. Perhaps better quality. I have heard good things about 85/1.8. Maybe even less expensive if you can buy used compatible with your camera.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:45 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password