Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon RS-80N3 Alternatives

Hunt-man

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon RS-80N3 Alternatives

Are there any alternatives to the RS-80N3 or should I just pay the piper? $$$$

I want to use it for long night / star exposures and for some macro work.

Thanks

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:41 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon RS-80N3 Alternatives

Yeah-- get one of the eBay knockoffs. I have both the dumb version (no timer) and the smart version (timer/intervalometer; 4 modes)... for something like 5 and 3 years respectively. Haven't even changed the battery on the intervalometer once. And it's the kind that always stays on!

Great value.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:18 PM
sparrks
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon RS-80N3 Alternatives

I use one of these - Yongnuo MC-36R Seems as well made as my Canon one,plus it's remote as well.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hunt-man

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon RS-80N3 Alternatives

sparrks wrote:
I use one of these - Yongnuo MC-36R Seems as well made as my Canon one,plus it's remote as well.

Thanks to both.

That Yongnuo is $30.00 it appears. I may try that. The Canon one is $100.00 more.

I looks like it does everything the Canon RS-80N3 does.... or am I missing something?

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon RS-80N3 Alternatives

I've taught night photography workshops for 5 years. The single most common point of equipment failure is Chinese timer remote knock-offs. Some of them eat batteries. Others stop working entirely. It's a crap shoot. I've seen Neewer, Aputure, and Satechi remotes fail in the field.

That being said, the price for the Canon TC-80N3 is a bit ridiculous. I've had good luck with the Cowboystudio remote available on Amazon for about $30: http://amzn.to/WBpEL2

The only difference between this remote and the Canon one is the plug is straight instead of L-shaped. Once it's plugged into the camera it works the same. Make sure to get an extra CR2032 battery or two -- also much cheaper on Amazon than in any stores.

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:58 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon RS-80N3 Alternatives

Try Phottix Nikos.
http://www.phottix.com/en/wired-remotes/phottixr-nikos-digital-timer-remote.html

Phottix provides different cables to suit different camera connectors. The same remote works (with a different cable) on Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password