Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Blizzard

campy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Blizzard

When I turned 60 a couple of years ago my kids wanted to know what I wanted for my birthday and at the time I wanted a $1500 lens, but I got a snowblower instead. I tried shoveling with an old lens but found the snowblower to be much more practical for 2 feet of snow. I think they made the right choice.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:43 PM
mitesh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Blizzard

On the flip side of the coin, Campy, how many wonderful pictures has that snowblower taken in the last couple of years?

Just kidding, of course. Stay safe!

Edited on Feb 09, 2013 at 05:23 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:48 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Blizzard

campy wrote:
When I turned 60 a couple of years ago my kids wanted to know what I wanted for my birthday and at the time I wanted a $1500 lens, but I got a snowblower instead. I tried shoveling with an old lens but found the snowblower to be much more practical for 2 feet of snow. I think they made the right choice.

I'm going to fire mine up soon, snowblower that is. We're about half way through the blizzard(s). The first one came in last night from Toronto and the one we're getting now came from Boston. Thanks campy.

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:05 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Blizzard

How much snow is equated to 1 inch of rainfall? I have heard that 1 inch of rain was like 1 foot of snow. Not counting drifts, how deep is the snow? Ya'll be safe in the frozen North land.

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:13 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Blizzard

Sure could have used a snowblower yesterday! Unfortunately everyone in about a 10 or so house radius on the street shovels, rather than blows. I think I spent about an hour digging out the driveway, car, and the 3-foot high berm of snow at the end of the drive thanks to the plow (but at least they plowed promptly this time!).

That said... it was also great day for a walk in the woods:

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:23 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Blizzard

We had some flurries in the Greater Toronto Arsery yesterday, however, I decided not to bother with the snowblower for barely 15" of snow, it'll all melt soon enough.

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Blizzard

PetKal wrote:
We had some flurries in the Greater Toronto Arsery yesterday, however, I decided not to bother with the snowblower for barely 15" of snow, it'll all melt soon enough.

Two more inches and they'll call in the Army!

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:13 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Blizzard

jcolwell wrote:

LMAO! This is a pretty good one!

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:39 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Blizzard

Peter, 'Greater Toronto Arsery' has me smiling; I'd not heard this before but will use it when appropriate going forward. Do I owe you a nickel each time or can I simply say "TM PetKal"?

As for the Army, Rob Ford may want to consult his speed dial list; maybe the phones haven't been updated since Mel Lastman left office...

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Blizzard

jcolwell wrote:

It was done before at least once that I can remember.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Blizzard

We all remember.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:35 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Blizzard

onegreatcity wrote:
Peter, 'Greater Toronto Arsery' has me smiling; I'd not heard this before but will use it when appropriate going forward. Do I owe you a nickel each time or can I simply say "TM PetKal"?

As for the Army, Rob Ford may want to consult his speed dial list; maybe the phones haven't been updated since Mel Lastman left office...

The other day some Yank asked what GTA meant.....then that new name just popped in my bird brain.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:36 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Blizzard

Wobble wrote:
How much snow is equated to 1 inch of rainfall? I have heard that 1 inch of rain was like 1 foot of snow. Not counting drifts, how deep is the snow? Ya'll be safe in the frozen North land.

It depends. Rule of thumb here in Boston area is 1 inch of rain = 10 inches of snow. But last night away from the coast it was 20F, so the moisture content was low and you would get more than 10 inches. Cape Cod stayed close to 32F so their snow was pretty wet.

Here in Saugus, MA we probably got around 24 inches, but in places my drifts are over three feet. And then there are places around the house that are bare.

Mark

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Blizzard

msalvetti wrote:
...Rule of thumb here in Boston area is 1 inch of rain = 10 inches of snow.

Like most things, it's very different here in Canada. Generally, we figure that 1mm of rain = 1 cm of snow.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:46 PM
jpeter
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Blizzard

31 inches at my house, Me working my way to the front door, taken with a lens worth more than the snowblower.

And yes I am wearing chest waders, as my snow boots are in Idaho. Actually a great choice for attire for the day.

JP

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Hunt-man

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Blizzard

jpeter wrote:
31 inches at my house, Me working my way to the front door, taken with a lens worth more than the snowblower.

And yes I am wearing chest waders, as my snow boots are in Idaho. Actually a great choice for attire for the day.

JP

Nice snow waders! Looks like it would be a tough day to fish.

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Blizzard

msalvetti wrote:
...Rule of thumb here in Boston area is 1 inch of rain = 10 inches of snow.

jcolwell wrote:
Like most things, it's very different here in Canada. Generally, we figure that 1mm of rain = 1 cm of snow.

There, there, take pity on poor old backwater America with its antiquated system of measurement.

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:57 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password