Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

mcbane

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

It seems like the concerns of the self-proclaimed pros here relate to a hypothetical service failure (that hasnt happened yet) that would result from providing a high level of service to non-pros. So, why is service the only concern? Shouldnt non-pros also be banned from buying pro camera bodies and lenses? We have after all seen shortages of those items at times.

The best interpretation is that this is a severe case of paranoia. And the worst interpretation is that we have a guild of mediocrity trying to preserve its standing by erecting barriers to entry, preventing others from having access to the best gear and service.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:37 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

The best interpretation is that this is a severe case of paranoia. And the worst interpretation is that we have a guild of mediocrity trying to preserve its standing by erecting barriers to entry, preventing others from having access to the best gear and service.

Amen brother. It seems to me that the ones trying to demand exclusivity for "pros" in this thread are making much ado about nothing. Could it be just a form of horn blowing to satisfy their fragile egos? In looking at this "pro" work, I would have to say so.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:55 AM
UgashikBob
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

As OP my inquiry was to hear others experiences as I was considering The $100 a year Gold level for the cost of two check ups and return shipping which was the only thing of value to me given the prestige of CP trinkets in my neighborhood.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:19 AM
panicatnabisco
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

Seems like the only reason why people want to join in so they can flash their CPS strap next to rebel touting soccer dads. Canon is pretty smart to relax their requirements; free money from cat photographers! If they don't use their gear as roughly as pros then chances of gear breakdown would be far less frequent, which means they pretty much only send their gear for trivial reasons like cleaning or calibrating. It's a win-win; they get CPS lens cloths they paid $100 for, you stay in top of the que.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

UgashikBob wrote:
As OP my inquiry was to hear others experiences as I was considering The $100 a year Gold level for the cost of two check ups and return shipping which was the only thing of value to me ...

Ok ... to address your inquiry directly: it's worth every penny.
- Steve

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM
UgashikBob
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

Steve:
Thank you for your input. I had decided not to handicap the "elite" with my pet photos but I may call Canon and ask them what they have to offer for the hobbyist who probably pays higher prices for there equipmentt than the "elite".
BTW I am several hundred air miles from the nearest soccer field and any of you elite pavement pounders that want to test your gear are welcome to spend a winter in my back yard.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:51 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

RobertLynn wrote:
If you read what I wrote, you would've seen that it hasn't impacted me yet...you cannot deny the possibility exists. To do so shows ignorance of the situation.

so in a hypothetical world you have a problem, and at that time you're able to determine that the problem is caused by non-professionals in CPS instead of another factor, even though you have no insight into the inner workings of Canon's service program?

Think about this, you have to meet certain requirements to get on welfare. According to your logic, why should anyone get their panties in a twist?

what

The way CPS is currently set up, you can just register your products (even if you don't own them) on their site. By your logic, people entering in numbers they don't have shouldn't be a big deal anyway.

What you fail to see is, there's rules in life. Some rules are enforced. Other rules aren't. You're expected though as an upright, moral and ethical human being to follow those rules. The fact that you're arguing against following the rules set forth just shows what kind of people do this.

It isn't about "it's not big deal", it's not about "the consumer market",it's not
...Show more

here are the "ethical" requirements for membership, straight from the website where you sign up:

the ONLY thing that mentions professional is where you select your professional status. they don't require the name of your business. they don't require you to earn money from your work. they don't define "professional". one can be a "professional at home cat picture taker".

since they don't define professional, let's let webster's do it:

a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier>
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a
...Show more

hmm, #1 and 2 don't work. but #3.... ah ha! i take pictures of my cat and conduct myself as though i were a professional. bang, i'm a professional.

the fact of the matter is that canon leaves this ambiguous because they don't care. they want people to pay money to be CPS members, and they want them to buy lots and lots of canon equipment.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:10 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

and let's face it, this is bullshit anyways.

you could generate $3,000,000 in revenue with your business, but if you do it with a 7D and a 50mm f/1.4 you don't qualify.

this is about canon getting your money, period. that's the ethics.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:22 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

sorry if my tone is off. i drank like nine cups of coffee this morning and i'm in a swoon.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:23 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

Sarsfield wrote:
Amen brother. It seems to me that the ones trying to demand exclusivity for "pros" in this thread are making much ado about nothing. Could it be just a form of horn blowing to satisfy their fragile egos? In looking at this "pro" work, I would have to say so.

Yeah because a Pro who spends $10,000 on canon products is much more valuable to Canon than a hobbyist who spends $15,000. It seems that some Pro's want to be in an elite club and nothing makes your club seem cooler than excluding people.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

dadgummit wrote:
Yeah because a Pro who spends $10,000 on canon products is much more valuable to Canon than a hobbyist who spends $15,000. It seems that some Pro's want to be in an elite club and nothing makes your club seem cooler than excluding people.

I guess that applies to some. But the majority of pros in Canon USA and Canada CPS that I'm familiar with are pretty cool being themselves, not elitists. It's hard to generalize about CPS members, other than they own (and presumably like) Canon gear.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:57 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

Gunzorro wrote:
I guess that applies to some. But the majority of pros in Canon USA and Canada CPS that I'm familiar with are pretty cool being themselves, not elitists. It's hard to generalize about CPS members, other than they own (and presumably like) Canon gear.

I was more making a joke than anything else. I am not a member and I probably will not join. I only make probably $500-2000 a year on photography (nature shots for text books and the occasional wedding/ party). I have been doing it for a decade and have only one time ever needed to send something in, canon gear is pretty tough. Without CPS status I had the lens back in less than a week and it only cost about $80 to repair.

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:07 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

It's simple.

There's a bunch of jackasses who want entitlements that are aimed at working pros.

Rather than focus on the people who erroneously sign up for a service that they aren't eligible for, they lament the professionals who truly are able to meet the requirements.

Self proclaimed pro?
No, my status with the Irs states that I'm a business. Professional is associated with a person who receives compensation monetarily for service that they provide.

I'm sure all of you are very nice people, but think about this...there's rules, regulations and requirements all over. You don't just go and break them because you feel "it doesn't matter" doesn't justify it. Do you complain when you're pulled over for speeding? Should people be able to sign up for unemployment benefits if they don't meet the requirements? Do you get upset over welfare fraud?

As to the "should they be able to buy professional equipment", yes they should be able to. There isn't a requirement for that. Even asking is ridiculous. I own professional grade cook ware, but I'm not a professional chef. There was no requirement for me to buy it, so I caused no harm.

I just don't get how you people can justify fraudulently signing up for a benefit or service. I can't sign up for AARP, I am 30! I can no longer ride the kiddy rides, I'm too tall and weigh too much!

How hard is it to grasp? If canon didnt have the requirement, you would hear no issue from me.
Do whatever you want to do, but you're not going to convince me that doing things that aren't morally, ethically or administratively are okay.
Conversely I don't think I'm going to convince someone who is willing to do these things to not.

I am willing to bet almost everyone who says they should be able to sign up, even if theh don't belong, are probably people who aren't pros. I imagine if they are legit businesses that follow the rules, they would feel the same.

I've said my piece several times. If in the USA they want you to be a pro, you shouldn't be able to sign up unless you're a pro. It's simple. I've already wasted more time on this than I should've. I'm out.

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:53 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

Ah, the internet!

Canon has a program to reward its best customers. If a non-professional has spent more money on Canon gear than a "professional," why shouldn't Canon reward that customer equally with those who make a living (whatever that means) with Canon gear?

I've sold an image to a magazine; gee, that makes me a "professional."

More to the point, I've spent immense amounts of money on Canon equipment; that makes me a valuable customer, one Canon has enough sense to cater to.

I hadn't joined CPS prior to seeing this thread and it's mindless snobbery. But, as it happens, I took a picture of my cat this morning, and it was out of focus. I think I'll join CPS, and send all my equipment into Canon, just so some "professional" has to wait for his equipment to get fixed.

Sheesh....

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

It's simple. There's a bunch of jackasses who want entitlements that are aimed at working pros.

Ahhh, the "pro" sinks to the level of the amateur name caller. Very fitting of your "pro" status.

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:48 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

RobertLynn wrote:
It's bullshit that people can just "own" enough gear and pay a fee to get in. It hasn't happened yet, but I'msure the time that I need my gear back tomorrow that some shmuck will have his gear sent in because his picture of his cat's face was out of focus...only for my gear to sit and be delayed because of an influx of "hobbyists" that want the pro benefits.

on the flip-side, if Canon doesn't police it and doesn't care, then just sign up.

hahahahahaha!!!

(and it was a hamster, not a cat

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:53 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

Sarsfield wrote:
Ahhh, the "pro" sinks to the level of the amateur name caller. Very fitting of your "pro" status.

Sounds like Tea Party rhetoric which would, by definition, make it an elitist statement.

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:59 PM
tuantran
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

And then there is the "Honorary Degree"....

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:37 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

Ah, I knew this thread would blow up, as similar ones before it have. I don't see the issue with Canon supporting its customers. Perhaps the only requirements for CPS ought to be based on equipment one purchases new. AFAIK, one can register gear purchased used so how does that help Canon? Anyway, I appreciate Canon's support of the gear I've purchased. It might not get abused but it does need attention from time to time.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:04 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · CPS Eligibility Requirements

Sarsfield wrote:

I don't think being professional has anything to do with saying whether or not someone is being a jackass when they fradulently enter a program. Would it be better for you if I chose to word it differently?

The sitution is quite simple. There is a plethora of individuals of unscrupulous character whom would stoop to unethical and immoral treatment for the standards, policies and procedures set forth in modern society.

Is that better for you?

To me it seems that you would rather complain about me, than the people who knowing violate the membership requirements of the group. Why is this so difficult to get someone's head around? In the USA it's a program for professional photographers. That means professionals sign up. Not hobbyists, not someone who thinks just because they spent a pile of money they get a "gift". No, it's for professionals.

Until Canon drops the requirement, that is my opinion. Me choosing to call someone a jackass has nothing to do with my professional character. Not one iota.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password