New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · D3 better than D700?

Gregg Heckler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D3 better than D700?

If you already have a D700 and are satisfied with the image quality and most of the features then a D3 would definitely be an upgrade. Other than sensor cleaning the D3 is superior in speed, viewfinder image size, and build quality. It's a perfect second or first body to a D700. The only negative if it is, would be it's heavier and bigger unless you already use a MB-D10 on your D700. Both are fantastic cameras.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:25 PM
tedbare
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D3 better than D700?

edl415 wrote:
D3 doesn't have automatic sensor cleaning. If you clean your own sensor this will not be an issue.

+1

I have a D3s now and rarely worry about dust any more... the D3 was a colossal dust magnet for me.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D3 better than D700?

I shoot with each, every week. For especially demanding captures (rodeo/BIF)
the faster processing and 9/11 fps of the D3 has me grabbing it 90% of the time.
Love 'em both BUT there is a palpable difference when pushed.

FWIW, D3 sensor dust has NEVER been an issue in 5 yrs...and rodeo arenas are NASTY

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:32 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D3 better than D700?

I understand he asked what camera is "better," but seriously: faster processing, higher frame rates, less mirror blackout - all that is rather unimportant on a hiking trip. No place to really "push" a body when your subject is glacier-carved granite.

The most important numbers that matter on the John Muir Trail regarding camera body:

D3 2.73 pounds
D700 2.2 pounds
D600 1.9 pounds

Dust on the sensor is the least of your challenges unless you also bring a bag full of lenses you constantly swap (which you won't).

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:29 AM
drofnad
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D3 better than D700?

worth buying a D3 as a upgrade from a D700? I plan to keep my D700, but want a body that is a bit more rugged and can take a beating! Yet is better or equivalent to a D700.

Last time I went hiking I brought a d5000. I would not dream of bringing the D3. At most I would bring a D800.

It always amuses me to read of something "feeling solid", as the implication often is that that something is simply heavier --tape a brick to a P&S and get the feel (but no better protection)! I've not noticed (m)any reports of where a Dx00 body fell short of survival where a full "pro" body would've made some difference --that might be a small window to open.

The OP talks of "war zone" except hiking clearly isn't that. Maybe the more likely issues with gear will be of the "oops, DAGNABIT!@" sort that will ruin any pro body (which don't float, e.g.), and the better plan to seeking some "upgrade" which will likely be felt only as gratuitous weight is to take a pair of smaller --but adequately robust-- bodies? Which enables fewer lens changes? Or pocket something like the RX100 really small body, as a back-up?

-drofnad

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:50 PM
pdxflint
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D3 better than D700?

pburke wrote:
John Muir Trail with a D90, 12MP, cheap kit lenses, no sweat, no failures, all good. Didn't even use a camera bag.

Nice images... just goes to show that actually being somewhere and taking photos is the biggest part of the equation. Nice to be reminded how useful the cheap, lightweight kit lenses really can be. Your shots really make me want to hike this area. How many days were you on the trail?

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:27 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D3 better than D700?

pdxflint wrote:
Nice images... just goes to show that actually being somewhere and taking photos is the biggest part of the equation. Nice to be reminded how useful the cheap, lightweight kit lenses really can be. Your shots really make me want to hike this area. How many days were you on the trail?

I think that trip was 17 or 18 days. I've been on that trail many times since the late 80s. Trips down the full JMT have taken me between 11 and 20 days, depending on fitness, priorities, weather and the age of the kids you are introducing to a special place. Going back this summer for a "Sierra High Route" hike, this time with a D600, tripod and upgraded lenses.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:10 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D3 better than D700?

drofnad wrote:
The OP talks of "war zone" except hiking clearly isn't that. Maybe the more likely issues with gear will be of the "oops, DAGNABIT!@" sort that will ruin any pro body

I can think of a day in 1988 when two of my Nikkors decided that gravity was stronger than the velcro of my home-made hiking lens bag and started to tumble down Half Dome, right in the middle of the "cables" section where all you can do is watch or fall yourself... One went down towards Yosemite Valley, the other towards Nevada Falls. Had to shoot 135mm f2.8 for the next week. At least my warzone F3HP didn't fall (it was around my neck), because it wouldn't have survived either.

Edited on Feb 18, 2013 at 03:03 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:20 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D3 better than D700?

The D3 tops the D700 in every way but weight and cost.
D3s is a definete step up and so is the D4.

I've hiked the John Muir trail. I would bring the V1 and 10-30 and/or 6.7-13 lens.
Every ounce counts, but lightweight fishing gear can be useful to reduce your food requirements.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:43 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D3 better than D700?

A guy came into work (REI) and he was doing the JMT in a few months. Now I want to do it, lol.
Honestly it would be super hard for me to ditch my camera. I could make do with one lens if need be.

As for the D3/D700, the D700 will be more than adequate. ONLY option I see that would make the D3 a better option is the dual card slot, but is it worth $500 more? That is up to you to answer. The D700 is fairly weather sealed, and I haven't had any problems with it thus far. I shot with a 1Ds before and that thing went through hell - I am sure it was glad when I sold her . The D700 feels just as solid as the 1Ds.

You can always add a rain fly if needbe when/if shooting in the rain. I personally don't use them - but after my F5 went down after using it in light rain (and it could be a total coincidence - which I am sure it was - I mean a light rain?), it kind of has me thinking, lol.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D3 better than D700?

edl415 wrote:
D3 doesn't have automatic sensor cleaning. If you clean your own sensor this will not be an issue.

Which in my experience in two years with a D700, does absolutely nothing.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D3 better than D700?

I will say that i had a 1Ds and it was the biggest nightmare to deal with, as far as dust goes. I would burn through a pack of sensor swabs, and it would only marginally help.

Sometimes it would take me 30 minutes to clone out the dust in PP. The D700 is MUCH cleaner - and I had only one lens with the 1Ds...

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:46 PM
ferrerfoto
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D3 better than D700?

kinconorb wrote:
I've recently gotten into hiking so mainly I want something that can handle the elements better; get wet, dirty, and banged around. Think war zone photography on a less rugged but similar scale. The D700 did quite well, through rain, mud, and clouded mountain tops, but just doesn't feel like its solid. From my experience with the D2X and D2H in the past pro bodies are just more ergonomics and built like a tank!

I will be hiking the "John Muir Trail" this summer http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/john-muir-trail/ And in another year once I've completed my masters degree, I'm planning to quit my
...Show more

I have to say that I truly admire what you are doing...you a man with a plan. This will be a trip that you will look back on and be very proud of. Hopefully he’ll get some killer images to hang on your walls next to your PhD degree! I think more of us should live like you and have a similar outlook on life.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.