Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · D3 better than D700?

kinconorb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D3 better than D700?

I remember reading both share the same image sensor. So essentially the D700 is a smaller (cheaper) version of the D3. With that in mind would it be worth buying a D3 as a upgrade from a D700? I plan to keep my D700, but want a body that is a bit more rugged and can take a beating! Yet is better or equivalent to a D700.

Right now I'm looking at the D3, D3s or D4 as viable options.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:26 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · D3 better than D700?

I am shopping for a D3s to complement my D700. Looking to put that high ISO to use at night.

If you can find a low shutter count D3 series or even another D700 at a reasonable price, put it to work.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:30 PM
edl415
• •
p.1 #3 · D3 better than D700?

D3 doesn't have automatic sensor cleaning. If you clean your own sensor this will not be an issue.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #4 · D3 better than D700?

I would say really high ISO (3200+) looks bit better and my "guess" is that it has bit less heavy AA filter (simply pics are tiny bit sharper). And I prefer body with integrated grip, it kinda feels better.

On other hand you cant make it "smaller" by removing that grip.. Yea and its faster.

Overall its not that big improvement over D700, but still it is nicer. Since right now prices are quite ok, if I could I would buy D3. Otherwise D3s is really improvement, but pretty expensive one..

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:49 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · D3 better than D700?

what do you do that makes you feel the need for those bodies you mentioned?

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:50 PM
kinconorb
• • •
p.1 #6 · D3 better than D700?

sjms wrote:
what do you do that makes you feel the need for those bodies you mentioned?

I've recently gotten into hiking so mainly I want something that can handle the elements better; get wet, dirty, and banged around. Think war zone photography on a less rugged but similar scale. The D700 did quite well, through rain, mud, and clouded mountain tops, but just doesn't feel like its solid. From my experience with the D2X and D2H in the past pro bodies are just more ergonomics and built like a tank!

I will be hiking the "John Muir Trail" this summer http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/john-muir-trail/ And in another year once I've completed my masters degree, I'm planning to quit my dead end job and hike the Pacific Crest Trail 2600 miles (Mexican border to Canadian border). Plan is if I can hike all 2600 miles straight thru, then I'll apply to some doctoral programs - If I can't finish then I'm not cut out for a PhD.

Mainly I want a camera that can handle the elements and take a beating.
Better image quality and resolution is a plus, but 12MP is good enough for me.

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 10:16 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · D3 better than D700?

I use a D4 and a D7000 for my work. I do a lot of stuff for the nat pk svc. so I go to various places out and about, I us my D7000 in more places then my D4 due to its light weight and really reasonable output. I have 1 DX lens that being the sigma 17-70 f2.8-4. the D7000 is somewhat sealed and the sigma is no more sealed then any lens out there. together they weigh less then my D4 body which is pretty much that of the D3/D3s. I really don't think you want to carry that around for 220 miles plus lenses and batteries.
I just did a little drive by on the east side of the sierras around Yosemite. just that one camera and lens

my D7000 has been around many places on the planet in the past few years since I got it. i'm confident it will do 220 miles+ in a pack barring total mayhem and then the camera will become irrelevant.

http://www.pbase.com/crusader/a_short_trip_to_california
quite a bit of snow and rain
http://www.pbase.com/crusader/berlin

that being said the D700 you already own will perform admirably

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:15 PM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #8 · D3 better than D700?

I used a D3 for a year in Afghanistan, beat the hell out of it, and had absolutely no issues. The camera is a beast.

You can see some of the shots on my website under the Photojournalism > Afghanistan category.

That said, I don't imagine the D700 would have many issues either. It's a pretty durable body.

I now shoot weddings/portraits, and again picked the D3 over the D700 because it has two CF slots (image security) and a few features that just fit my style of shooting a bit more.

Mine was 2,600 for a mint condition body - 9/10 appearance and under 9k shutter actuations.

Feb 09, 2013 at 03:29 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #9 · D3 better than D700?

I have used a 1Ds for years and an F5 as well. I know shoot with a D700 and I will say that the build on the D700 is up to my standards. I live in the PNW, shoot in the ocean, rain, mud, etc and the 700 has done fabulous thus far. It is not uncommon for me to hike with camera on tripod in undesirable conditions...

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:55 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #10 · D3 better than D700?

The dual card slots and robust weather sealing alone make it worth the extra couple hundred buks for the D3.

10 FPS ain't too shabby either...

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #11 · D3 better than D700?

If your choice is between D3 and D700 for a long 2600 miles hike in the boonies:

You probably don't need the higher fps of the D3.
You probably don't want the extra weight of the D3.
The extra CF card slot of the D3 will be useful for backup if you will not be carrying another backup option like a laptop.
The auto sensor clean of the D700 will be very very useful.

Both cameras should be rugged enough for the trip.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:05 AM
Dwight3

p.1 #12 · D3 better than D700?

kinconorb wrote:
...I will be hiking the "John Muir Trail" this summer http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/john-muir-trail/ And in another year once I've completed my masters degree, I'm planning to quit my dead end job and hike the Pacific Crest Trail 2600 miles (Mexican border to Canadian border). Plan is if I can hike all 2600 miles straight thru, then I'll apply to some doctoral programs - If I can't finish then I'm not cut out for a PhD.

Not sure what the connection is between the hike and the PhD. I've met lots of PhD's who would not have been able to make the trip, but then my degree isn't in hiking.

The D3 is nice and rugged, and I used mine in all sorts of weather. Note that the lens has to have the weather sealing also. I've switched to a D4 and it's a great camera, but not all that much better than the D3S as far as images go. 16 MPx compared to 12, a 15% improvement in resolution, isn't really significant IMHO. The ISO performance is similar (hearsay -- I never had a D3S). I've used the D4 up to ISO 200K, but above 50K the images aren't something I'd like to show people.

I'd say for a long trip you should go light. Get yourself a 28-300 and use the D700 for the trip. At the end of the trip graduate to the D4 (or the D3S). The 28-300 is a nice versatile lens and is reasonably sharp. Unless you're planning to sell your images from the trip, the lens is sharp enough for casual use. The 24-70-200 pair is sharper if you need that level of resolution, but then that's 2 lenses to carry. You will probably be carrying enough cards to equal the weight of one of the lenses unless you take breaks off the trail to download to a laptop somewhere.

The D4/D3S is great indoors. Any body will be good outdoors where there's plenty of light. You will probably not need high ISO on the trail, but it will be very useful in graduate school. Example: going to a lecture/seminar/meeting and taking photos of the slides. (For that purpose the D4 excels because it has a truly silent mode).

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:53 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · D3 better than D700?

lara_ckl wrote:
If your choice is between D3 and D700 for a long 2600 miles hike in the boonies:

You probably don't need the higher fps of the D3.
You probably don't want the extra weight of the D3.
The extra CF card slot of the D3 will be useful for backup if you will not be carrying another backup option like a laptop.
The auto sensor clean of the D700 will be very very useful.

Both cameras should be rugged enough for the trip.

+1
+I would look at a used D3s if you really want an improvement over a D700/D3 (vs D3: better ISO performance, sensor cleaning and video are the obvious things that come to mind).

Guy

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:39 PM
pburke
• • •
p.1 #14 · D3 better than D700?

kinconorb wrote:
I've recently gotten into hiking so mainly I want something that can handle the elements better; get wet, dirty, and banged around. Think war zone photography on a less rugged but similar scale. The D700 did quite well, through rain, mud, and clouded mountain tops, but just doesn't feel like its solid.

The "feel" of the camera is one thing - actual performance, at least my own record, seems to indicate that a lightweight prosumer body will do just fine. I've done pretty nasty stuff with my D90 and D7000, and they never failed. Never even showed the marks of having been out in dust and rain for weeks.

If I were to carry something heavy into the backcountry, I would maybe consider a D800e for it's sensor, but not a D3. The weight difference over my D600 body means I can carry more lenses, or a panorama head, a stronger tripod, or other stuff that adds real capability, all at the risk of possibly having the camera fail. However, so far that has never happened, nor is camera failure a life threatening event. Out in the backcountry, the camera is not the most important gear item.

I'm by no means one of these "ultralight" hikers who push their "base weight" lower and lower, but every ounce counts, either allowing more food or more camera gear to go into the pack while staying within the threshold you know you can handle easily. Everything becomes a compromise when putting together gear that has to be carried into the backcountry.

Obviously, much of this only matters in overnight hiking situations, but that's what I do, and for those trips the weight of the camera is more relevant than its rugged construction. Zip lock bags and gaffer tape are great stuff, and nearly free. Tape up the camera and bring an extra lens.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM
kinconorb
• • •
p.1 #15 · D3 better than D700?

lara_ckl wrote:

The extra CF card slot of the D3 will be useful for backup if you will not be carrying another backup option.

I've been reading up a lot on the D3 and this is one of the features that would be most beneficial. My plan was to mail cards home at the various stopping points along the trail, but for redundancy having two copies would be perfect (mail one home and keep a copy). I don't plan on taking a laptop (despite being somewhat addicted to computers) besides the extra weight I'd probably end up breaking the screen at some point.

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:08 AM
lara_ckl
• •
p.1 #16 · D3 better than D700?

There used to be "Digital Multimedia Viewers" that were very popular as backup devices. Epson made a few. Sort of like a 80G iPod with a built-in CF card reader.

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:42 AM
socaltyger

p.1 #17 · D3 better than D700?

Sanho makes a good portable backup device. I've been using one for a few years backing up portrait and wedding sessions. Perfect unattended backups and great battery life. You can get them from B&H. In case you are curious, here's a mini review I did awhile back.

http://www.prettygeeky.com/2012/02/17/sanho-hyperdrive-colorspace-review/

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #18 · D3 better than D700?

socaltyger wrote:
Sanho makes a good portable backup device. I've been using one for a few years backing up portrait and wedding sessions. Perfect unattended backups and great battery life. You can get them from B&H. In case you are curious, here's a mini review I did awhile back.

http://www.prettygeeky.com/2012/02/17/sanho-hyperdrive-colorspace-review/

Interesting. Thanks for the link!

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #19 · D3 better than D700?

D3 has a far shorter blackout time (duration that you cannot see through the lens). Makes it much easier to capture key moments. Dual card slots is the other biggie. I hate not having a backup.

Last time I went hiking I brought a d5000. I would not dream of bringing the D3. At most I would bring a D800.

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:31 AM
pburke
• • •
p.1 #20 · D3 better than D700?

kinconorb wrote:

I will be hiking the "John Muir Trail" this summer http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/john-muir-trail/

Mainly I want a camera that can handle the elements and take a beating.
Better image quality and resolution is a plus, but 12MP is good enough for me.

John Muir Trail with a D90, 12MP, cheap kit lenses, no sweat, no failures, all good. Didn't even use a camera bag.

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password