Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

Hi,

I often get asked why I switched from Canon to Nikon and want to learn why others have also. I hope this can be a constructive threat that shares why we made the move.

Let me start by saying I really liked Canon and was very happy in their camp. I also like Nikon so I am not here to bash either brand.

List the top 4 reasons why you switched from Canon to Nikon or Nikon to Canon if you are lurking.

1. Full frame body under 2k where all the focus points worked. Went from 5d2 - D700. Money was an issue or would have picked up a 1ds3.

2. Spot metering with all focus points was important. The 1ds2 worked well but I also needed #3.

3. Full frame that did well with high ISO for sports shooting.

4. Flash photography. I always struggled with Canon. Could just be that I am a slow learner.

The move was extensive for I had a lot invested in "L" lenses and a few bodies. Overall I was patience and I basically broken even in the move. If money wasn't an issue I would have stayed with Canon (1ds3).

Grant

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

Not Nikon but I switched from Oly 2006 and my reasons are:

- Inconsistent AWB with E body, shots could get totally colored in one single color like blue or yellow without any reason , slow body with not up to 20D options I got after.
- Horrible noisy shots on higher ISO, much worse in IQ.
- Limited number of lenses and anything Oly made that time in any stores. Worse selection of glass.
- Pretty bad resale in compare to Canon, literally nobody wants to buy this brand

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:30 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

What's a "constructive threat"? Top four reasons to switch ... or else...

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:45 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

I didn't switch, but I ceased my exploration into Nikon system, while still maintaining my Canon gear. After a couple years, I threw in the towel. My second Nikon dual-ownership -- first was in film era.

1) In-camera processing, even of the RAW, resulted over-cooked, unnatural colors (did not like "Neutral" either); 1A) extreme exposures inaccuracy (up to +2 stops over-exposed) in contrasty outdoor lighting

2) Inaccurate focusing with center AF "point" (more of a small cloud) on D7000 which picks up any contrasty area outside the box

3) All controls annoyingly backwards! And the menu system sucks -- Canon more intuitive and better manuals (example: Picture Styles? No, it's like "Mode" or some such!)

4) Very difficult to use Alt lenses -- Canon flange distance is much more useful

I prefer Canon in-camera processing (Digic), tech support and CPS, owner's manual and on-line documentation, ergonomics, and lenses.

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 08:59 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:57 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

Wouldn't this topic be better served in the Nikon thread?
What is the point, really, that you don't understand as to why you switched?
Your question just begs the argument or non-argument...

Felt the need to thrust you new found chest feathers forward a bit did we?
Look my skinny new toy, I like it a lot, it takes great pictures...
But I've no images to put forth, just useless regurgitated detritus to 'threat'en us with.

Tisk tisk, be nice, wouldn't want to damage that ego...such silliness.
Response required...just because...sarcasm can be fun
Which was your intent in the 1st place...

Why not Nikon, I like talking to real people in support, the ones that help/fix things, not ignore me.
And, Canon's gear is cool

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 09:01 PM · View previous versions

kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

1. Customer Service.
2. Canon Customer Service .
3. Nikon Customer Service sucks.
4. Did I say Customer Service ? .

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

I switched from Pentax 35mm and Fuji MF rangefinders to Canon DSLR over about three years, starting in 2004. There were two main reasons I chose Canon; I wanted to get into full frame digital photography, and I wanted to get into an integrated system with a full range of lenses and etc.. I can't forsee any reasons sufficiently compelling to cause me to switch from Canon DSLR to another brand DSLR. I am getting into Fujifilm X-series cameras, but for my purposes, it's more of a complementary technology, than a competing technology.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:09 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

No need to "switch", the more the merrier. I love my EOS gear but also enjoy collecting and shooting my Olympus and Nikon gear. I'd own a Leica and Fuji system too if I was a little richer. Life is too short to get all tribal about your camera gear. Save such feelings for something more important like religion and politics.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:20 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

I switched from Mamiya-Sekor to Canon in 1973 after I was shipwrecked in the South China Sea. Fortunately it was on the coast of Malaysia where we had sailed from. The Mamiya drowned, I was unharmed.

I stayed with Canon for: higher quality lenses and better overall system thinking especially with the clean introduction of the EOS system which has proven to be the wisest system strategy Canon could make.

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 09:26 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:23 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

opps.

i meant to post this in the nikon forum. my bad!

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

StillFingerz wrote:
Wouldn't this topic be better served in the Nikon thread?
What is the point, really, that you don't understand as to why you switched?
Your question just begs the argument or non-argument...

Felt the need to thrust you new found chest feathers forward a bit did we?

opps, meant to post this in the nikon forum.

anyhow, i hope you find happiness

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

Monito wrote:
I switched from Mamiya-Sekor to Canon in 1973 after I was shipwrecked in the South China Sea. Fortunately it was on the coast of Malaysia where we had sailed from. The Mamiya drowned, I was unharmed.

I stayed with Canon for: higher quality lenses and better overall system thinking especially with the clean introduction of the EOS system which has proven to be the wisest system strategy Canon could make.

Interesting. I was shipwrecked in the Canadian Arctic in 1974. That's when I switched from Olympus OM to Mamiya Sekor . Go figure...

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

Grantland wrote:
opps.

i meant to post this in the nikon forum. my bad!

Subconscious, not so "sub", eh?

I'd be happy to let the Nikon forum know why I bailed out. Ha-ha!

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:46 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

My Canon-to-Nikon (trial only, didn't sell any Canon gear, just bought a D800 and my two most used prime focal lengths):

1. Canon's 5d3 didn't improve image quality enough, specifically shadow noise. Then they charged $3500 for it.

2. Nikon's D800 did improve image quality by a lot, and was way ahead of canon in shadow noise. And, the D800 was $500 less than the 5d3.

3. Frustrated by intermittent issues with Canon 5d2 autofocus, heard and read so many good things about Nikon autofocus plus liked the D700, D3s and pre-production D4 I played around with at a CES/PMA show.

4. I'm a One D Ten T.

Now, at the turning point where I've had problems with the autofocus on the Nikon not being consistent and having some quirks I can't work around very well...so I am planning to sell the Nikon body for these reasons:

1. Focus quirks, e.g. far focus inconsistency ~10-15 feet, backlighting misfocuses, other intermittent misfocuses.

2. I miss the subjective "look" of Canon lenses.

3. I don't really have 3 or 4. The sensor is really good. Minor inconveniences like not being able to swap ISO or WB or af drive mode with one hand aren't deciding factors.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:24 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

I would never consider switching to Nikon unless they make their telephoto lenses white . Honestly, that was my only reason for choosing Canon (well at first. I'm happy with Canon for other reasons now).

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:54 PM
DonM2
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

Greetings, All ---

A heavy disciple of Canon, both film & digital, for over 50 years. Heavy investment in both types: Up thru the F1 and then up thru the 1D2, ramping up thru many bodies in each media-type.

Alas, the debacle of the EOS 1D3 autofocus! To the end of time, it will be inconceivable how a company like Canon could be so dense about that problem with their supposedly flagship product! If they had not been so busy 'stonewalling' their users for over 6 months about this, I and a million others might still be in their camp.

Additionally and years earlier, I bought a Metz 54MZ3 to get way better on-cam flash results than with Canon units.

So I thought maybe I should dip my toes into the Nikon pool since the D300 was getting a lot of good comment about then. And, yeah, the D300 snagged me. All the way thru a D700, D3, D3s and now D800e.

So, tho I get out the Canon gear just for old times occasionally (including the 1D3 despite the questionable repair trip), Nikon is my daily shooter.

Another reason to keep Canon is all the glass I have for that. To this moment, I have no glass for any camera, any alt brand, that surpasses the fantastic contrast and sharpness of my EF 70-200 f/4L IS lens.

--- Don M

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:16 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

Grantland wrote:
opps, meant to post this in the nikon forum.

anyhow, i hope you find happiness

Happiness found in Canon gearz since 1978, sarcastic writing style found in 2nd yr creative writing and law studies, general jovial manner found after sudden impact with a sand bar, the drink wasn't a favorite

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:01 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

Well I just swapped out a lot of my m43 system for a Canon body, so I can list why I didn't go Nikon again.

1) Lenses: I want to get into TS-E stuff and Nikon doesn't have a 17. Their 24mm is inferior. Their 80-400 sucks, which leaves me depending on 3rd party for my "whatever" long zoom - might as well get a 100-400L instead.
2) Ergonomics - I like how Canons handle better, though originally I used to prefer Nikon.
3) CPS is easier to get into than NPS and better benefits. Also, Nikon's service, in general, seems spotty recently.
4) The used market for Canon is immensely better.

Granted, I really wish I had the DR and shadow lifting of a Nikon sensor, and I still really appreciate how good CLS is, but overall I'm happy where I am. The sensor is probably the biggest draw to me right now - nothing else really stands out right now.

Oh, and spot meter on an AF point would be very nice. Screw Canon for limiting that to the 1D series.

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:10 AM
dsr1
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

I switched from Olympus to Canon last year and loving it.

1. To much noise with Oly E-30
2. Lowlight shooting almost nonexistant.
3 AF was to slow and not consistant.
4. The great lenses I had would not AF with new micro 4/3 system and Olympus didn't seem interested in updating the 4/3 system. They still don't have fast long lens selection for micro 4/3 or I might be interested in the OM-5

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:26 PM
A.Y.
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · switching brands - Top 4 reasons

I switched from Canon to Sony because both Canon and Nikon lack 1080 60p HD and "acceptable" video autofocus.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password