Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Longer and wider...that's what he said :)

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Longer and wider...that's what he said :)

"There will be more Canon STM lenses, wide angles and telephotos, and they may have image stabilization. In an interview Masato Okada, Executive Officer – Deputy Chief Executive – ICP Group 1 Canon Inc., confirmed Canon’s commitment to STM (Stepping Motor) lenses and videography. As you most probably know, STM lenses focus near to silent, avoiding disturbing noise when continuously autofocusing while shooting video. Mr. Okada said that “it is possible that [there will be] STM lens [with] wider and longer focal length“, and that Canon “consider producing wider and longer STM lenses after passing through optical design process“. Another Canon executive, Naoya Kaneda, Senior General Manager ICP Development Center 1, added: “it’s also possible that STM lenses will be equipped with IS”.

http://www.canonwatch.com/there-will-be-wider-and-longer-canon-stm-lenses-with-is-says-canon-exec/

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:26 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Longer and wider...that's what he said :)

Fantastic. Good that I don't need any new lenses, especially none with IS on the wide end

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:33 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Longer and wider...that's what he said :)

I'll sell my m43 set if Canon makes 14, 24, and 85 pancake lenses .

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:35 PM
NCAndy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Longer and wider...that's what he said :)

kewlcanon wrote:

Are those even possible in a pancake design? I'd guess the 24 would be, but 14 and 85mm?

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:44 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Longer and wider...that's what he said :)

Panasonic has 14mm pancake. 85mm not sure .

NCAndy wrote:
Are those even possible in a pancake design? I'd guess the 24 would be, but 14 and 85mm?

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

matt4626
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Longer and wider...that's what he said :)

Seems to add lots of $$ for a "video" feature ....

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:05 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Longer and wider...that's what he said :)

STM lenses; perhaps of the 'L' nature even, videographers on a budget will swoon, extends the already amazing variety/range of Canon's glass offerings...drives market share higher.

Doesn't much excite a stills only shooter, is this why the loooooong wait for the 7D update, will it be a real Semi-Pro Crop Hybrid Do-It-All...at about $2.5k, another 5D3/1DX consolidation body

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Longer and wider...that's what he said :)

kewlcanon wrote:

NCAndy wrote:

kewlcanon wrote:
Panasonic has 14mm pancake. 85mm not sure .

That 14mm would be for a much shorter register and probably for mirrorless, possible with the EOS-M but not the DSLRs.

The problem is that the short focal length lenses have to be very close to the sensor, with the rear element about the distance of the focal length, give or take a few mm. Since this is not possible in a reflex camera (ex. DSLR), a "retrofocus" lens design is used that is a version of an reversed telephoto lens. That is why the more extreme the wide angle the longer it is (for DSLRs).

Canon's EOS/EF/EF-S mount register is about a 44 mm distance, much larger.

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:34 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Longer and wider...that's what he said :)

^^ thanks for the info.

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password