New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Sam_S
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Own a 1D3 and used my brother's 7D from time to time. 7D is a grain nightmare. I've even had to use noise reduction on ISO 100 and 200 shots in post sometimes hahaha

EDIT:
Heres one of those shots
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9349/img0398hv.jpg

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:30 AM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

When I read threads that compare the 7D to the 1D Mark III or many other threads that compare the merits of two high quality camera bodies from similar generations and when I see people post responses that indicate that one "blows away" the other or that one is the "hands down" winner, the credibility of those who post such comments takes a deep dive in my mind. Over the years, I've become firmly convinced that internet forums make differences in the capabilities of camera bodies (and lenses) appear to be much greater than they really are.

I used a 1D Mark III extensively for 2 1/2 years, and I have used a 7D extensively for 3 1/2 and still use it. They are both excellent camera bodies, and they are both capable of excellent image quality. Further, there was a period of time when I owned and used both bodies at the same time side-by-side.

With regard to noise, the 1D Mark III may well do better when examining files at the pixel level, but, at the image level, the performance is very similar. If you have to upscale a 1D Mark III file to match the number of pixels in a 7D file or if you downscale a 7D file to match the number of pixels in a 1D Mark III file, the two cameras are going to perform at very similar levels.

With regard to AF capabilities, it may well be the case that the AF system of one is marginally better than that of the other, but in real world shooting of wildlife action in the servo mode, my rate of in-focus shots with both cameras was so close that I'm not sure I would have noticed the difference.

If I had to pick one camera over the other, my decision would depend on what kind of shooting I primarily did. If I was primarily shooting in focal length-limited situations, my choice would be the 7D because there is no question that its 18 MP files are going to result in greater detail than the 10 MP files of the 1D Mark III cropped to the same field of view of the 7D. And, again, even if the 1D Mark III starts out with a noise advantage at the pixel level, if the 1D Mark III images need to be cropped and the cropped images are upscaled to match the uncropped 7D images, noise in both are going to be close. On the other hand, if my primary shooting was not going to be in focal length-limited situations, I'd probably choose the 1D Mark III for its somewhat better build quality, integrated grip, and slightly higher frame rate, etc.

However, regardless of which of the two cameras I chose, that choice would end up being a relatively small factor in determining whether I got my shots and how good they were compared to a good number of other factors, including my ability to use the camera. And any thought that one of these bodies is so vastly more capable than the other as to make it the "hands down" winner is likely to be the result of a bias based on some other factor such as which one the person stating that opinion owns.

Les

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:16 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Having owned and shot both professionally (and in the same seasons and environments) I chose the 1DIII. As others have noted, the limiting factor is most likely to be the operator's skill not the camera. Both are capable of professional results. I went with the 1DIII for the following reasons: (1) The pro-body. Some (rightly) bemoan it's weight, but it was built to survive and in its day was the fastest, meanest body on the block. (After they fixed the AF My hands work best with a pro-body. (2) I found the 1DIII to have distinctly faster total thru put. This was often important for me. I don't do much burst shooting, but when I needed it, it was critical. (3) I found the 1DIII IQ to be superior - or more precisely - more malleable. One can, and many do, make much about the fact that the 7D has more pixels. More pixels does not automatically make a better image. Something about the 1DIII images worked better for me. Again, others have done stupendous work with the 7D.

It's really a function of camera feel, what and how you shoot, and probably several personal intangibles. A used 7D is cheaper, but the 1DIII price now is an utter bargain. Which ever you pick, go shoot. That's the real difference.

Robert

(Oh yeah, the sound of 1D series shutter at full bore. Children cry. Women hide. Grown men cower. Guaranteed to increased you sex appeal! Of course most of the time it can't be heard over the crowd noise.)

Edited on Feb 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

I've been looking at both bodies and from others' input and images, found the following
- IQ and ISO wise they are near equal
- AF wise the 1D3 has a slight edge in Accuracy and FPS, but the 7D is a super close 2nd
- 1D3s 10mp files are smoother and easier to PP
- ID3 has the more sealed/rugged body
- 7Ds files can be cropped a bit more given it's more MPs; near twice as many pixels per duck
- 7D gives you more reach; 1.6x vs 1.3x

As I've looked over my action based images and my reach limitations and found...
- the 7D gets my vote as I have no glass longer/faster then the 300 f4L IS
- the 1D3 would have gotten my vote if I had longer glass or if I had a 2x T/C for the 300

I'm looking to upgrade my aging 10mp 40D, it still rocks so I wait n hope Canon actually updates the 7D...add the 5D3/1DX AF, a bit better ISO/Noise performance and I'd pretty much be happy.

Jerry

Edited on Feb 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

OntheRez wrote:
I found the 1DIII to have distinctly faster total thru put. This was often important for me. I don't do much burst shooting, but when I needed it, it was critical. (

Robert

Was your 7D experience prior to or after the most recent 7D firmware? Before that firmware version, I might have have agreed with what you say about throughput speed, but I wouldn't agree after the most recent firmware. In fact, after the most recent firmware, I'd say that throughput speed of the 7D is actually faster than that for the 1D Mark III.

Les

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

uz2work wrote:
Was your 7D experience prior to or after the most recent 7D firmware? Before that firmware version, I might have have agreed with what you say about throughput speed, but I wouldn't agree after the most recent firmware. In fact, after the most recent firmware, I'd say that throughput speed of the 7D is actually faster than that for the 1D Mark III.

Les,

It was a bit more than a year ago that I experimented with the 7D and I can't say what firmware it had though I'm sure it was current for that time. I do know that I tried shooting the 7D for say one game of a VB match and the 1DIII for a second. After having done this several times, I kept the 1DIII and sold the 7D. I hope I made it clear in my post that both devices are capable of excellent work. Given that the 7D is electronically at least a generation newer, I'd expect it to have some advantages. On the other hand we are comparing 2 bodies which at original prices were $5K and $1.5K. Even giving away a generation, the more expensive camera should have some advantages, though I freely admit they may be more in handling, robustness, and durability. I can attest to the fact that with the 1DIII - and even more so the 1DIV - the fastest CF cards did significantly improve write speeds. This is more true of the 1DIV than the 1DIII.

Robert

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

OntheRez wrote:
Les,

It was a bit more than a year ago that I experimented with the 7D and I can't say what firmware it had though I'm sure it was current for that time.
Robert

Robert,

Then, I'd be fairly certain that you used the 7D prior to the most recent firmware because that firmware was released on September 30, 2012. That firmware release may have been the most significant firmware release that Canon has offered for any camera, and, in terms of buffer depth, time to clear the buffer, etc., it make the 7D feel like a completely different camera.

In any case, I agree (and said earlier), that we are talking about 2 very capable cameras and that the differences in the capabilities of them are not likely to make the difference as to whether or not we get our shots or the differences in the quality of those shots. Heck, for the last 3+ years, I've been using a 7D and a 1D Mark IV simultaneously. My choice as to which camera to use for particular shooting is not influenced in the least by the the differences in their AF systems, buffer depth, processing speed, image quality, etc., and I am yet to come across a situation where I could attribute not getting a shot to my choosing "the wrong" camera to use on that particular day. Instead, my choice of cameras on any particular day is based on other factors, such as pixel density, and whether the kind of shooting I will be doing will be helped by the higher pixel density of the 7D, which, when I need it, gives me the opportunity to use a smaller/lighter lens, which, in turn, gives me more portability and more mobility when I need it.

Les

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:37 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.