New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Notaneggspert

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Hey guys this if my first post to the form but I've been around for a little while, I know this came up a couple weeks ago here on FM but I wanted to ask from my pov.

My background: I'm a college kid short on cash shooting sports and doing photo journalism for our student run Tues-Fri paper. Currently shooting on a a T3i with a Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6, 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.8, and Canon 85mm f/1.8. I also desperately need a 70-200 f/2.8 is usm mk I but need the better autofocus and high fps of a 7D or 1D for sports first since It's easier for me to barrow a lens than someones body. Been borrowing 7Ds or 1D ivs and 70-200 f/2.8's for the past 4 months. Might as well mention that I have a YN 468II flash and a good vanguard tripod.

My 500px is a little behind and I don't have any of my good sports up yet. I just haven't had a chance to catch up but if you want to see some of the stuff I've shot over the past year it's there, nothing to rave about.

Anyways I'm torn between the two I am looking for the best autofocus and high iso performance since the game I shot last night was at 1/1000, Iso 3200, f/2.8 on a 1Div. The 7D has the smaller sensor but has more megapixles but I know that doesn't by any means make it any better than the APS-H 28.7x18.7mm sized sensor. The weight doesn't bother me at all if I get a 7D I'll get a VG which is going to cost money while the 1D has a VG by design and has better battery life.
So I think the 1DIII is the better option but I'm really tempted to just snag a good deal on a 7D and I'm just not sure how the auto focuses stack up against each other in the real world.

Also the 7D II will drop the prices of the 7Ds so I can save some money on a sale which is a big factor in my decision between the two. And I can use my 15-85 and use other ef-s glass on a 7D which is nice simply because ef-s glass is cheaper than L glass (for a reason).

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:51 PM
convergent
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Well, its a $4500 camera vs. a $1500 camera. The fact that they've both depreciated doesn't change that fact. They are not an apples to apples comparison. For pure sports shooting, I think I'd take the 1D3 over the 7D. I had a 1D3 from announcement until a few months ago, and never had a 7D but thinking about one to compliment my 5D3 that I shoot with now (primarily for birds). I think that either of them is going to do what you want to do, and if you add in the grip to the purchase of the 7D, they are very close in price used right now.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Zander Alberts
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

I would definitely go with the 1D3, I've shot a lot of newspaper assignments with mine and I have been very happy. AF, battery life is great and reasonably sized files is nice too.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:54 PM
drive_75
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

I had both a one time. Either one will serve you well. I like the 1D3 more. But I only use the 1D3 for sports when I had it.

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:04 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

If you are not focal length limited, the answer it easy: 1d3. if you are focal length limited, i.e. have to regularly crop, the 7d will be the better camera.

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:18 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

I have both. It sounds like your shooting is not focal length limited, thus I suggest the 1D3 as well. Ignoring weight which you indicated is not a factor, the only things I like more about the 7D is the LCD screen and the fact it spoils me a bit by having auto ISO. I always forget to change ISO on my 1D3.

Feb 09, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

1D3. i have at 1 point had both of these...the 7D is just a wimp compared to 1d series.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Sunny Sra wrote:
1D3. i have at 1 point had both of these...the 7D is just a wimp compared to 1d series.

+1

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:00 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

They are very close to each other when it comes to AF and IQ, ignoring the crop differences. At ISO 3200 and lower, the 1D3 is cleaner, at 3200, the 7D starts to match, and at 6400, they are very, very close in performance. The AF on the 7D is configurable like on the 1D3, and IMO is pretty close in performance, with the 1D3 maybe just a tad faster overall.

That all being said, the 7D isn't going to be any different at high ISO than your T3i, and quite honestly if you go with the 1D3 expecting much better ISO, you won't see it there either.

So that leaves the AF, which will be much better on the 7D or 1D3 over your T3i.

Here are some indoor basketball shots from games this week, the 7D locks focus with the 70-200 quite well, and the high ISO works well enough.

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Personally, IMHO, there's not a lot between the two. Whereas with the 1-D MKIII you get a solid feeling camera, with the 7D you get a slight advantage when cropping, along with video with HDMI out, et al.

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

oh and the shutter on 1d III goes RATATATATATATAAAT....and on 7d it goes putputputput.....put..putput

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:24 PM
mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Sunny Sra wrote:
oh and the shutter on 1d III goes RATATATATATATAAAT....and on 7d it goes putputputput.....put..putput

I love that sound. Go with the 1DIII.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Sunny Sra wrote:

Haha so true

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:34 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

There is little to be torn about, the 1D MK III wins at every comparison. I had both and quickly dumped my 7D.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

scalesusa wrote:
There is little to be torn about, the 1D MK III wins at every comparison. I had both and quickly dumped my 7D.

IYO. I had both and dumped my 1d3.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:18 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

I would go for the 7D every time.

You can use your EF-S lenses, it has better IQ (in my opinion) you have the option for a small or big camera whenever you want and you can buy it brand new with a warranty

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:04 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

For the best AF in demanding action scenarios, 1D III all the way. Otherwise it's a tough call as 7D has several very nice features and of course it's AF is pretty darn good in most cases.

If forced to choose I'd take 1D III.

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:16 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

The 7D is a lot easier on the hand and shoulder.

Feb 10, 2013 at 03:41 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Sunny Sra wrote:

Actually if you are trying to state that the 1d3 can shoot burst longer, you would wrong. The 7d has a longer burst buffer, even with its files that are almost twice as large. Sure the 1d3 has 2fps over the 7d but the 7d goes longer.

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:47 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Torn between a 7D and 1DIII

Aye, I was going to mention that -I bet the buffer empties much quicker on the 7D too.

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.