FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Doctorbird wrote:
Lars, that's my general feeling also, although I've only rented previous 1series from CPS. But the 1DX certainly surpasses all the xxD's, the 7D and even the 5DIII.

Db

I agree and I have NOT had to MA any of my lenses, 17mm TS-E, 14mm II, 24MM II, 35mm II 100mm macro is, 180mm macro, 400mm f5.6, 70-200mm f2.8 II. All dead on.
Now as far as the 5DIII....in my landscape shooting it does surpass the 1Dx in IQ but not by much and not in all circumstances.
Dan

Edited on Feb 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2013 at 03:48 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Lars Johnsson wrote:
After using my 1DX for about six weeks now, I'm extremely pleased with the accurate AF when using fast lenses like f/1,2 & f/1,4. Especially when shooting wide open or close to that.
It's a big improvement even if I came from the 1Ds3 and 1D4 bodies.
Is that general feeling among 1DX owners? Or is it just me ?

Can only speak for the 5D3, but yeah it does seem to be more precise.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:18 PM
mcbane

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

I have also noticed a substantial speed difference in focusing. And like others, I have found that the 85mm 1.2L ii behaves like a new lens in terms of focusing speed and reliability. I used to toss more than half of my shots with that lens at 1.2 and now it is only the occasional shot that isnt focused accurately.

Another thing I have noticed is that the 1DX AF seems to be insensitive to UV filters. My 5DII and 24-105L with hoya UV filter needed a +10 MAF at the 24mm end but needed no MAF adjustment if I took off the UV filter. In comparison, the 1DX with the same lens requires a consistent MAF with or without the UV filter, over the entire zoom range.

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Hell guys. What are you doing here? I was so happy with my 5D IIs center AF!
And I wanted to grade up to 6D. Now I have to think about selling everything including my girlfriends car to get one of those excellent performing 1D Xs!

It is a pleasure to see you happy!

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:32 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Ralph Conway wrote:
...I have to think about selling everything including my girlfriends car to get one of those excellent performing 1D Xs!

I suggest you wait a while. Use very subtle suggestions to convince her that she needs a new and very expensive car. Then, sell her car...

P.S. she's not reading this, right?

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

I am not sure ...
But she likes travelling and has never been in Canada (like me). Maybe if you and Peter invite us, she will not realize I was selling her car ...

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Ralph Conway wrote:
I am not sure ...
But she likes travelling and has never been in Canada (like me). Maybe if you and Peter invite us, she will not realize I was selling her car ...

Let's talk...

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:43 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

The 1Dx AF is simply great.
The 5Dmk3 is right behind it especially with 1.2 lenses.
Before the 1Dx was released i got great results at night on the street with the 50/1.2 and Mk3 in near darkness.
Its taken nearly 6 months but im still surprised people asking questions about the 2 best AF cameras ever released.
Funny how the cycle works guess its Nikons turn at the moment from reading around with the D800 and D4 issues..
Think there would be a lot of people kicking themselves for swapping with the new array of light supers and stellar AF bodies..

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:58 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Ralph Conway wrote:
Hell guys. What are you doing here? I was so happy with my 5D IIs center AF!
And I wanted to grade up to 6D. Now I have to think about selling everything including my girlfriends car to get one of those excellent performing 1D Xs!

It is a pleasure to see you happy!

I can buy the 6D for you here in Bangkok. They have a promotion going on. 1555 euro and that price include an iPad mini also Rather good

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:22 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Ralph Conway wrote:
I am not sure ...

Ralph, should you decide to come to Canada, perhaps Jim could give you a ride to GTA (don't ask ). Then I can take all of you guys for a typical Canadian lunch at the Mandarin. Also. I'd be happy to show you lads all I know about shooting terns in flight, which will probably take no more than 3 minutes of our time.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

dehowie wrote:
The 1Dx AF is simply great.
The 5Dmk3 is right behind it especially with 1.2 lenses.
Before the 1Dx was released i got great results at night on the street with the 50/1.2 and Mk3 in near darkness.
Its taken nearly 6 months but im still surprised people asking questions about the 2 best AF cameras ever released.
Funny how the cycle works guess its Nikons turn at the moment from reading around with the D800 and D4 issues..
Think there would be a lot of people kicking themselves for swapping with the new array of light supers and stellar AF bodies..

I think it is quite normal. I started a thread about 6D after I got it into my hands nearly 5 month ago. I was flashed by its AF compared to 5D II. Still today people start threads about if it reaches 5D II. I never read anything negative about this camera from any user, who purchased it. But still I read many "opinions" how bad this camera is compared to whatever.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

jcolwell wrote:
I agree. I was especially pleased with my 85/1.2L II for low light performance.

I have been shooting a lot with my 85/1,2---50/1,2---Sigma 35/1,4 lenses. They are really good and like new lenses when using them wide open or close to that.
I was shooting dancing in low light with my 85/1,2 lens. AI servo and apertures between f/1,2 and f/1,8. I nearly got twice as many keepers as I got here before when I was shooting with my 1D4 or 1Ds3 bodies.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Ralph Conway wrote:
I am not sure ...

PetKal wrote:
Ralph, should you decide to come to Canada, perhaps Jim could give you a ride to GTA (don't ask ). ...

I'm in. 18 hours at 120 kph, average. Airplane would be faster, and safer.

P.S. Autobahns are not us.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I can buy the 6D for you here in Bangkok. They have a promotion going on. 1555 euro and that price include an iPad mini also Rather good

Nice offer Lars. But that is the same price I pay here after tax (without the I-pad mini). Will I get german service and support? In my opinion it would not make much sense not to have service but an I-pad I do not want/need.

Ralph

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:33 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

jcolwell wrote:
I'm in. 18 hours at 120 kph, average. Airplane would be faster, and safer.

P.S. Autobahns are not us.

Jim, you slayer.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

1DX sounds like a wonderful body! The only thing I could ask for is more MP, so I'll keep an eye on what is coming down the road. I'm happy enough at the moment with Jim's old 1Ds3 and Joshua's old 5D2, but I can see there is brave new Canon world out there!

I'll borrow the 1DX from CPS, and that will surely seal my doom.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:37 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

What is GTA?

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:44 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Ralph Conway wrote:
What is GTA?

Gulliver's Travel Agency.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

mttran wrote:
1DX must be the AF king right now compared to other bodies. I am wonder how much the differences between 1DX and 5D3. Hard to believe they are equally performer even they shared the same AF design. I would think that more on-board prediction & offset AF firmware on 1DX than 5D3. If you have both bodies, please share your outer AF points experience while shooting them with fast lenses. TIA

They have the same AF design. But they also have some differences

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 1DX - Fast lenses = accurate & solid AF

Must resist, must stop focusing on this thread, it appears to be too accurate with rarely a missy, OH NO I just agreed to shoot my niece's wedding. I am being drawn in without the need of MA (Much Antagonism) to attach a lowlight lens from my Junior Collector level and nail the shot.

Then there is this mention of GTA and 1Dx,

G-ot
T-o
A-quire

Please stop, no more, I am feeling ill from reading all this. Now I think next week I should make a trip to

The Clinic for some Professional Help (Click Here)

to make me well again.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.