New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · More confident AF now with 5D3

marko1953
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More confident AF now with 5D3

I just opened up some photos taken at school with my Canon 85mm 1.8 lens on my new 5D3. I shot most of the photos at f/2 and f/1.8 in a dark assembly hall/gymnasium, and am amazed at how sharp they are and how well focused on people's eyes from 3-5 meters distance. I have come from a 5Dc and was never really confident in shooting at wide open apertures on my 1.8 and 2.8 lenses. I always stopped down to f/3.2 or f/4 just to be safe (in focus). It is really going to take my photos to a new level (for me) as now I am confident in the AF of the 5D3 to focus pin point sharp on exactly what i want in focus. Particularly thinking of portraits with beautiful bokeh shooting wide open will be a blast!

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:19 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More confident AF now with 5D3

Yep so far it has been very accurate for me, although I have been shooting only the 40 2.8 so far. Even then I have taken very close photos and it has been extremely accurate.

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:49 AM
CanonPhotog

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More confident AF now with 5D3

I'll echo that! My keeper rate has doubled, if not tripled.

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:14 AM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More confident AF now with 5D3

One of the reasons why you dont hear *owners* of 5DIII complaining about its price / sensor / do-dads. This sucker simply works.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:13 AM
Dick Snyder
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More confident AF now with 5D3

Love my 5D III!

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:35 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More confident AF now with 5D3

Pity it only has two stops of dynamic range. Maybe when Canon catches up with Nikon, or even Sony. I can't believe Canon did this to us. I mean who wants sharp pictures with no dynamic range? I bet you can't even make out what is in the pictures - they are solid black and white right? No tones? No colours? You should have bought a Nikon D800.

p.s.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:59 AM
blonde
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More confident AF now with 5D3

I had the same exact reaction after I started shooting with the 5dmk3. My previous 5dmk2 was and still is an amazing camera but my results really went up by quite a bit when I upgraded. The IQ didn't really change but what changed was the amount of keepers. The mk3 just works all the time and I find myself coming back with many more images that are critically sharp and in focus. Wide open, low light levels, moving subjects etc.. Are all work working much better with the new bodies and that alone makes upgrading worth it.

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:10 AM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More confident AF now with 5D3

+1

Dick Snyder wrote:
Love my 5D III!

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:16 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More confident AF now with 5D3

100% agree! The AF is just outstanding!

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More confident AF now with 5D3

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:52 AM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More confident AF now with 5D3

AF just works...best I've used by far...

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:56 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · More confident AF now with 5D3

Glad to hear so many good stories. Makes me want to buy even wider aperture lenses now, oh no, wait, more $$$. Help!

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:33 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · More confident AF now with 5D3

The AF is phenomenal. Easily more accurate then any other Cam I have owned.

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:54 PM
Makaveli6103
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · More confident AF now with 5D3

Paul Mo wrote:
Pity it only has two stops of dynamic range. Maybe when Canon catches up with Nikon, or even Sony. I can't believe Canon did this to us. I mean who wants sharp pictures with no dynamic range? I bet you can't even make out what is in the pictures - they are solid black and white right? No tones? No colours? You should have bought a Nikon D800.

p.s.

Thanks for trolling

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:58 PM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · More confident AF now with 5D3

Makaveli6103 wrote:
Thanks for trolling

I think he was being ironic.

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:59 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · More confident AF now with 5D3

Yeah, not perfect, but quite noticeably improved in such situations. Finally an AF that you feel that you can really trust for one shot.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · More confident AF now with 5D3

EyeBrock wrote:
I think he was being ironic.

Aye. I love my 5D MKIII but I would have preferred much better shadow detail. However, it is a very powerful camera. Imagine having one of them in the 1970s - you'd have slayed the photojournalism world.

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:58 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · More confident AF now with 5D3

Paul Mo wrote:
Aye. I love my 5D MKIII but I would have preferred much better shadow detail. However, it is a very powerful camera. Imagine having one of them in the 1970s - you'd have slayed the photojournalism world.

I can just imagine your amazing success when you walk into the newsroom and hand the editor your CF card. I used computers in the 70s and input was via a stack of punch cards. It took a computer the size of a single family home to process the input...

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:14 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · More confident AF now with 5D3

Gochugogi wrote:
I can just imagine your amazing success when you walk into the newsroom and hand the editor your CF card. I used computers in the 70s and input was via a stack of punch cards. It took a computer the size of a single family home to process the input...

But you're forgetting the direct print button!

I worked in image processing back in the day and manipulating a 512 x 512 was a big deal. Sure glad we got here by my retirement. Even the tower that sat by my desk has disappeared into the inch or so of thickness behind my display. If only they'd replaced my car with the flying one the Jetsons promised. They're purposely crippling our cars for their own profits.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · More confident AF now with 5D3

Gochugogi wrote:

LMAO at the image of "back to the futuring" a CF card to a punch machine reader. Believe me I remember. Particularly that windy, cold northern Arizona spring day dashing across campus with my dissertation data ready to run when someone bumped into me and they all went sailing across the quad The old days were NOT good.

Back on topic: those of you reporting excellent AF with the 5DIII, have any of you worked low light action with the camera? If so, how did it hold up?

Thanks,

Robert

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.