Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

cas5
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

I recently had a shoot where I rented two snaplab printers to do onsite printing. The owner of the company that provided the printers is a good photographer and was also hired to shoot at the event. He showed up with only one printer and no driver disks. I had downloaded drivers and tested them just in case something like that happened.

For some reason I could not get windows to recognize the printer over the network and went to plans B (hooking the printer directly to his computer) and C (putting CF cards directly in the printer). In the end, he could not get the printer to print reliably even from CF card. I told him to pack it up and I'll send out images, at my cost to all the customers.

Clearly, I'm not going to pay for the rental of the SnapLabs. We probably made 20 5x7 test prints in the course of trying to make it work. He is insisting that I pay him for the roll of printer paper ($140). Should I pay him or not.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Corey

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:55 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

Hell no.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:12 AM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #3 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

Inku Yo wrote:
Hell no.

THIS!

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:24 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

So this is what I figured out. You rented 2 printers to do onsite printing. Company owner brought one printer. He plugs his printer into the computer, can't get it to work properly. He puts his CF cards into it and it still won't printer properly. He wants you to pay for the entire roll of paper (his roll I take it) that was in a printer that never worked in the first place? I 3rd the motions above.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:29 AM
cas5
• •
p.1 #5 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

Ya, Scott. That's exactly what happened. With three votes from friends I respect, motion carries. Vendor gets no payment. /thread.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:53 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

He left you high and dry, hell no indeed.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:54 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

At the most... and I'm only suggesting this if you want to remain friends or whatever with this guy... I'd offer to pay for a couple sheets of paper, not the entire roll.

That also is dependent upon if the guy was hired to second shoot and he got paid for that gig (by you or anyone else). If you or anyone else paid him to shoot, then I stand with my initial reply, "Hell no."

OR, tell him it's like this - you paid him for his services, not your fault that he couldn't get it up... and no, you will not pay for condoms that he used whilst trying to get it up. In the end, it was a failure to perform on his part.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:42 AM
cas5
• •
p.1 #8 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

... That's hysterical Inku.

I paid him $320 within a few days of completing the shoot. $300 to shoot for roughly 9 hours, had to bring his own studio lighting kit. $20 for 20 test prints at $1 each. I sent him both the purchase order that showed what was requested and the final invoice that showed what was eliminated. I sent an email the next day to make sure he understood why the deductions were made.

He wrote back: "Hi Corey Thank you for getting back to me. Yes and no, the Opened paper is un-salable to me - I cant sell the client a 1/2 roll or paper, even when I quote a end user for a roll its for the whole thing weather they print 1 or all of it .. So I would prefer it paid out as agreed or replaced by a full roll. The $50 off is understandable we had a mis-communication with that and I am perfectly good with that. I hope you understand I will wait to hear from you."

I just don't want to be a hard a$$ unnecessarily. Thanks for being my moral compass.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #9 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

Inku Yo wrote:
OR, tell him it's like this - you paid him for his services, not your fault that he couldn't get it up... and no, you will not pay for condoms that he used whilst trying to get it up. In the end, it was a failure to perform on his part.

Corey, can you please reference this metaphor in your reply?

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:43 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

You know you could turn this right back around on him and bill him for your cost of printing and mailing the prints to your clients and show him that he did not give you what you expected on the day of and now it is costing you $XXX to deliver what you expected on the day of the event. He needs to accept responsibility for what he did not deliver in terms of product and reliable service.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

You contract "rented" a 2 printer system thst does not work. Maybe if he had brought the 2nd printer ( has he ever heard of back-up ) the evening might have worked. How about the client who expected on site prints for guests.

If this was one of my print on site deals ( which I hate because something always happens ) I would be asking him for cash to refund what I charged my client due to his errors plus postage for print delivery. This is what small claim court is for and I would have already filed.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

I think you were fair in your response to him, Corey. I wouldn't pay this guy anything additional. He needs to eat the cost as a cost of doing shitty business.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:21 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

Inku Yo wrote:
I think you were fair in your response to him, Corey. I wouldn't pay this guy anything additional. He needs to eat the cost as a cost of doing shitty business.

Exactly. You are being gracious in paying him for the 20 prints...he should never expect you to pay him for unused materials that were ONLY unusable because of the equipment you hired from him not functioning. It's not like you ended up with excess paper available...you were unable to use it because of his problem.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Littleguy
• •
p.1 #14 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

If these are the Sony Snaplab printers - from memory - the printer media comes with 2 rolls and 2 ribbons per box.

If these are his machines - he can still use what's left of the paper roll and ribbon - if he rented them - than he can still remove the paper roll and ribbon and reuse later.

But there would still be an unused roll and ribbon from a single box of media.

I wouldn't pay him - you printed only 20 prints not because that's all you wanted, you printed only 20 prints because he couldn't delivery the promised product or is he saying the printer was working but it was your choice to stop using it?

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #15 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

cas5 wrote:
Should I pay him or not.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Corey

I'd tell him that I'd be more than happy to pay him for the printer paper when he pays me for all the prints and postage I have to eat due to his incompetence.

I'd put it more eloquently than that, but you get the idea.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:40 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #16 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

He doesn't bring the requested two printers, and then even the one he does bring doesn't operate right and then he wants to charge you for the paper? He'll probably go out of business way before your check would've cleared.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:44 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.1 #17 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

I'd say his cost is something he needs to suck up to keep YOUR goodwill!

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:23 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #18 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

Breech of Contract - you are due liquidated and real damages if you want to go after him. His partial performance doesn't cut it. In fact, it cuts against his argument for payment.

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #19 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

Pay him? Pay him? Send him a bill for your postage......... You rented equipment, it did not show up, it did not work.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:27 PM
cas5
• •
p.1 #20 · Vendor Relations - WWYD

I'll let you guys know how he responds.
C.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register