Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Sigh, back to Canon...

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sigh, back to Canon...

M Lucca wrote:
Nailing focus (first to go Beep!) <> focus accuracy. Situational differences, compound by lens choice and technique invalidates your experience to those of Form.

...I don't understand what you said. Are you saying that my experience is not objective enough to be valid and there is too much potential for user error to say that any of it is the camera's fault? Or are you saying that I think my views are superior to all others (which I disagree with)?

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:16 AM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sigh, back to Canon...

CoastandCactus wrote:
This animation is a hoot!

+1

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:24 AM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sigh, back to Canon...

form wrote:
I used AF-C and AF-S mode, especially during one or two weddings where the activities were basically not that interesting for a time (e.g. I had captured many of the goings-on and most important people during an LDS receiving line) and I had a few free moments to experiment with different settings. I would point 35 or 85 at various subjects of 10-20 feet distance and see how many shots I could get in focus with AF-S, AF-C 1 point and AF-C 9 point. I didn't notice much difference between them, one setting (can't remember which now) seemed to do
...Show more

That might explain it. I don't use AF-C mode for weddings. I use AF-S all the time and the focus is fast and accurate. AF-C is a hit or miss for me.

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:43 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sigh, back to Canon...

Eyeball wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/FTaJs.gif

good GIF !

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:27 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sigh, back to Canon...

cineski wrote:
I thought about switching to Nikon because I'm just dead sick of Canon's etiquette with their own paying photographers. A buddy of mine is a Nikon shooter and got the D800. I got to play with it. Focus SUCKED where my 5D3 would snap to accurate focus. He ended up selling it and is sticking with Nikon's 1 series equivalent. D800 in real world wedding shooting = shrug. Really wish we could get that sensor, though.

My experience has been the opposite: D800 af is fast and very accurate. 5Dmk3 was also fast, mut missed a lot in darker situations, while the D800 kept focussing. D4 is just a lot better than both. Focussing with the 35G is just a pain, it's an amazing lens when it focusses. 85mm focusses very accuratly, same as 24-70 and my 70-200 vr2.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sigh, back to Canon...

The problem people are having in believing you is that you're basically saying that the ANCIENT and horrendously/nortoriously shitty 5DII AF system is better than the brand new D800 system (It's not).

I could see what you're saying if you were comparing it to a 5DIII, which has been said to have better AF point coverage and arguably better AF performance.

There has been some D800 recalls. maybe you had one of them? I'd would be extremely surprised to find that the D800's AF system isn't better than the 5DII.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:15 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sigh, back to Canon...

jamesmorophoto wrote:
I'd would be extremely surprised to find that the D800's AF system isn't better than the 5DII.

Isn't the D800 AF system supposed to be the same as what's in the flagship D4?

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:57 AM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sigh, back to Canon...

D. Diggler wrote:
Isn't the D800 AF system supposed to be the same as what's in the flagship D4?

Like the 1DX, the D800's system borrows extensively from the D4, although it's a step down.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:53 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sigh, back to Canon...

can the animation be also BW and have it's meaning...?

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Shaun Nyc
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sigh, back to Canon...

deepbluejh wrote:
I could write a myriad of witty, sarcastic, snarky remarks here, but I won't. Instead I'll give you an honest answer that is short and to the point.

The gear is not the source of your problems.

Nice response, you should get over yourself

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joelconner
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sigh, back to Canon...

Shaun Nyc wrote:
Nice response, you should get over yourself

One does not simply wander into the wedding forums and think to understand the subtext built from many previous threads.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:38 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sigh, back to Canon...

form wrote:
the misfocusing of distant subjects and backlit subjects with 35 and 85

Suppose you heard about the new D800 firmware. People are reporting that focus is noticeably improved in both AF-C and AF-S. Maybe you should try it.

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:44 AM
form
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sigh, back to Canon...

.......No I didn't hear anything about it. Thanks! Will look into it. I still dun like the lenses much though.

Apr 06, 2013 at 06:09 AM
cbres00
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sigh, back to Canon...

camerausername wrote:
Eyeball wrote:

Quite often the grass is greener on the opposite side because of excessive fertilizer.

Apr 06, 2013 at 06:13 AM
flash
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sigh, back to Canon...

There's always Sony.........

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:38 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sigh, back to Canon...

D. Diggler wrote:
Suppose you heard about the new D800 firmware. People are reporting that focus is noticeably improved in both AF-C and AF-S. Maybe you should try it.

Maybe he should try a different profession.

Form, all this spiel about improved dynamic range, better AF etc is for the most part marketing irrelevance for pro photogs like yourself. I'm pretty sure pro wedding togs were taking amazing pictures 10 years ago. Yep, they definitely were.

Your issue is not with the gear. It's with yourself. Hundreds of other members have said it too. You need to just change your outlook my friend. I kinda understand you as in many regards I feel the same way about my profession (not photography), and I am always considering new gear, lenses, cameras, flashes etc but ultimately after spending a horrendous amount of money I realise that none of this stuff makes me take better pictures. Taking more pictures, reading posts on here, reading magazines, trying new things, making mistakes, all make me take better pictures.

Smile. You have awesome equipment. A D800 and a 5D3. Many people can only dream of owning such equipment. They're 2 of the best DSLR's ever released so I struggle to see how anyone can suggest they're not enough to make amazing pictures with.

My advice. Go buy a Fuji X100 or X-E1 (not for your wedding work). Take a few weeks and take the camera out with you every day. It will force you to look at photography in a different way. It will force you to slow down, look at the light, look at your subjects and the composition in a way you're not used to. It will challenge you! When you go back and pick up your 5D3 or D800 you'll suddenly realise what beasts they are and just how insanely competent they are. I realised that I was letting the camera do too much of the work. After using the Fuji for a few weeks I have a whole new appreciation for the Nikon DSLR's and feel I am taking better pictures than before.

Apr 06, 2013 at 09:22 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sigh, back to Canon...

Eyeball wrote:

Legend worthy.

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:53 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sigh, back to Canon...

my god, for a moment I really thought he was switching brands again...

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:28 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sigh, back to Canon...

One of the more epic threads on this forum. That animated gif says it all and if no one else had said a word, this thread would have been complete.

Apr 06, 2013 at 09:26 PM
James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sigh, back to Canon...

friscoron wrote:
my god, for a moment I really thought he was switching brands again...

Did you really care?

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password