Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Hulot wrote:
I can well understand that the Nikon interface is problematic for Canon users. Cameras are more like computer or smart phones these days. I have used a friends D800 for a couple of months now, when I ask him what he is doing with these funny Abcd menus he is just scratching his head

The D800 interface isn't bad, but I do prefer being able to make iso and focus drive adjustments with one hand in large part because I shoot with one hand a fair amount. Really, if you can adapt to the 1ds II's hold-one-press-another button system for changing or adjusting almost everything except aperture and shutter (and I did), then you can adapt to pretty much anything. I just prefer one-handed adjustment of those functions.

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:18 AM
form
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

RJKphoto wrote:
"Photographers", and I am using the term loosely, seem to waste too much time on immaterial BS like this. I too get caught up in it as well. Pick a tool, learn every conceivable nuance of it, and stick with it. It appears that the manufacturers have done a great job of programming us!

In a way, I am probably too accustomed to 5d2 functionality now to be able to easily switch to a camera with radically different focus behavior.

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:23 AM
form
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

James R wrote:
Congratulations Canon. Honestly, I didn't know they were fighting over you. Not sure they knew it either.

Form, you might be just a little full of yourself. But, glad you have found your favorite system.

It's not me as being more important than anyone else, but rather that as a company they naturally want to appeal to as many people as possible...and if anyone switches from Canon to Nikon, then that's just plain good for Nikon.

My original starting post was basically to share my perspective and experience regarding the things I liked and disliked about Nikon vs my old Canon stuff. I often think that both Canon and Nikon employees do keep an eye on forums where their names come up from time to time, so if they see this thread then they will see one person's honest opinion.

Remember voting, where they say that every vote counts? It's a form of verbal voting, or protesting, or a single person speaking out about their experiences in one vs. the other comparisons...and my original post is definitely less wordy than the lengthy reviews many people post their website links to.

That's all, I'm definitely not more important than anyone else, and I know that to a big company I'm far less important than, say, Marcus Bell switching to Canon or some other prominent photographer writing a comparative essay. But...for them and for others who have considered switching, have made a switch, etc., or who feel in any way similar (or opposite) to how I do about the equipment...it's a sharing of experience and perspective.

As for finding a "favorite" system, it's more like...I am more willing to accept the compromises on the Canon side than the Nikon side.

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:33 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Dustin Gent wrote:
That is too bad. At the end of the day, cameras/lenses are just a tool. Many, many people are able to use Nikon w/o compromising the final product.

+1 AMEN!

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

OP's post was as big as any ego-trip can get. Holy molly, that was a long rambling....

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:57 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

its all too much pointless reading for me.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:34 PM
20four80five
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Javier Munoz wrote:
OP's post was as big as any ego-trip can get. Holy molly, that was a long rambling....

+1 for sure!

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Leica didn't win ME either. I'm sure they're very sad about it, lol

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:49 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Again, you are leaving a system you don't like to return to a system you didn't like before? At least your next tirade about switching will be back on the Canon boards.

Just bear in mind what a guy named Albert said. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:58 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

runamuck wrote:
Again, you are leaving a system you don't like to return to a system you didn't like before? At least your next tirade about switching will be back on the Canon boards.

Just bear in mind what a guy named Albert said. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

I like and dislike aspects of both Canon and Nikon. In the selling off of my Nikon stuff, I will most likely buy a 5d3 in the fairly near future to get the improved autofocus that was one of a few main reasons I trialed Nikon. I will have to accept that the shadow noise is going to be an ongoing fact for me and many other photographers have managed with it for years without complaint. There aren't many other reasons why I dislike Canon, mostly just autofocus, shadow noise, and how much they charge for an incremental upgrade called 5d3. But I like their ergonomics, live view functionality, and 35/85mm lenses better than Nikon's...though someone suggested I trial the 85 f/1.4g and I may do that.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:28 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:39 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

I thought it was big stuff. I bought my first Nikon partly out of frustration with Canon's autofocus, partly because of the desirable Nikon sensor, and partly out of spite against Canon's $3500 price tag on the 5d3 whose only major improvement over the 5d2 is the autofocus system...the D800 seemed like a comparatively good value as a camera.

Biggest stuff was autofocus, I wanted something more reliable where I could depend on outer points for tracking processionals and dances. Second biggest was the frequency with which I was shooting in bright daylight and faces would be in the darkest shadows possible and needing to be pushed in post. That's when the worst banding and shadow noise became visible.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:43 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

AMaji wrote:
Kudos to FM posters for keeping this civil. Think what would happened if it was DPR!!!

Always knocking DPR and yet you spent a lot of time over there. Also, you are the first to call the OP troll. How civil is that.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:07 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form wrote:
I thought it was big stuff. I bought my first Nikon partly out of frustration with Canon's autofocus, partly because of the desirable Nikon sensor, and partly out of spite against Canon's $3500 price tag on the 5d3 whose only major improvement over the 5d2 is the autofocus system...the D800 seemed like a comparatively good value as a camera.

Biggest stuff was autofocus, I wanted something more reliable where I could depend on outer points for tracking processionals and dances. Second biggest was the frequency with which I was shooting in bright daylight and faces would be in the darkest
...Show more

Luck you. You did not have to deal with Nikon customer service.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:11 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:24 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form wrote:
So...I tried a D800. .

There's the problem........You tried the wrong model.

The Model made for you is...the....One D Ten T......try that out before you buy.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:29 PM
kinconorb
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Slug69 wrote:
Yawn.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:35 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

rhyder wrote:
There's the problem........You tried the wrong model.

The Model made for you is...the....One D Ten T......try that out before you buy.

Upon receipt of your identical PM (very kind of you btw), I immediately googled your curious phrase and found a site ( http://geekdictionary.computing.net/define/onedtent
) informing me that what you said is geekspeak for "idiot." After learning that, it was a very short hop to the realization that you were basically calling me an idiot through a kind of geeksubterfuge. Good job, and thanks for spelling it out for me!

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Hulot
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

maybe it is just a phase

no really, using coded language is just plain straight rude and below of anything. There is a point were people should go to sleepmode for a day or two

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:39 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

okafoja wrote:
Always knocking DPR and yet you spent a lot of time over there. Also, you are the first to call the OP troll. How civil is that.

Hmmmm... perhaps you still remember the PCNation post of yours on DPR

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:13 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.