Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

You are shooting weddings with a camera that has 36mp with prime lenses wide open & you are surprised at the result.

Why don't you rent a D700, D3 or a D4 & try again with those lenses. Bad combo to declare nikon lenses blow imo.

I'd consider canon if the cameras weren't so damn ugly, yes I'm vain :P

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:51 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form wrote:
I never left Canon, I just tried the other side by testing the lenses I would personally use the most on one of the best Nikon cameras out there that I could afford. I don't see anything wrong or stupid about that decision, it was just fairly expensive.

It's a decision often made by Canon and Nikon shooters. They just don't make a big announcement about it.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:59 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form wrote:
How much would it have cost me to rent all the pieces every time I needed them? Camera, two lenses...at least $280 each rental

No ... you put the equipment through its paces on one rental period. Shooting one or two weddings with the gear plus doing additional tests around your home and then looking closely at the resultant files and you would have uncovered all the main problems you found.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:13 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

After reading through all of this... I'm tempted to just tell you outright, you bought the wrong body for the type of shooting you had planned on, AND, you shot it in some cases in a really bad choice of combinations.

You were way better off with a either a D3s or D4 given your described issues and scenarios. I too shot Canon for what seems like a millennium. Starting off with a manual body up to my F1. Your concerns over service/quality I can assure you are not bound to the Nikon brand.

But any way you want to justify making a move to whatever body system you choose is great. Disgruntled hardware people make the worst pictures.

And lastly, your methods of proving ANY system leave a crater of room for error and speculation. All these pixel morons throughout the web that pucker up daily to examine each and every flaw and oversight made by the manufacturers and report ad nauseaum... They're as full of it as your initial assessment.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:40 AM
wil_ret
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Totally wrong set up for weddings!

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:15 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

wil_ret wrote:
Totally wrong set up for weddings!

+1 guy's gotta be smarter than the gear, eh?!

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:59 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form wrote:
Sony doesn't have a big enough selection and their sensors are also IMO unacceptable (in other ways r/t noise handling). I am dissatisfied with Canon's autofocus performance overall, BUT I am more satisfied with their one-shot center point accuracy than with Nikon's with backlit subjects. I am also not very satisfied with Canon sensors, but I am very satisfied with their customer service, I am more satisfied with their live view than with Nikon's, I am more satisfied with their ergonomics than with Nikon's (ability to change ISO, white balance, etc., with one hand instead of needing two, plus I
...Show more

That is a lot of use of the word "satisfied" for a digression.

I've got some news for you - It probably isn't the camera...

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:25 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

I smell a troll, one that blames equipment for lack of skill and poor choices.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:15 AM
2of9
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Great opinion OP but at the end of the day, I will still make money for people who don't really care what brand of camera I have.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:42 AM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Not very nice of you to edit your post and remove the "10" sentence. I could not understand some answers but luckily FM foum allows you to see the previous and original post.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:43 AM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

The 85 1.8G's bokeh is "horrid" because it's perfect ? That's the point where I stopped taking this post seriously. He's not happy with Canon or Nikon. Well there's lots of other companies to go through, at least one of them must be up to the OP's level of discrimination.
Good luck with that.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:20 AM
poisonpill
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Andre Labonte wrote:
I smell a troll, one that blames equipment for lack of skill and poor choices.

Totally agree... and if he's an unintentional troll that may be worse.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised the responses have been to cordial to him so far.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:38 AM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

"Photographers", and I am using the term loosely, seem to waste too much time on immaterial BS like this. I too get caught up in it as well. Pick a tool, learn every conceivable nuance of it, and stick with it. It appears that the manufacturers have done a great job of programming us!

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:44 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

I stopped reading at "First off, the 85 f/1.8g's background blur is just horrid...because it's perfect, it's uninteresting, it's blah."

Enjoy whatever system you leave to. You won't be missed.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:54 AM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

form wrote:
Basically, the 5d3 is 2/3 stop better noise control than the 5d2 and has more focus points...and the price is literally more than doubled just for those two features (while taking away changeable focus screens and making the focus points not light up right)...and this move in itself really encouraged me to try Nikon. If Canon had set the price for this camera at $2700 OR gave great dynamic range with no pattern noise, then I would say the camera is a great value...

Basically, you either did not try a 5d3, or the one you did try was broke! Basically,
...Show more

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:02 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

Personally I don't consider a troll someone who writes out detailed reasons for making a choice. A troll would be saying, "Nikons suck!" without any reasoning just to get reactions. Clearly this person has reasons for making a decision about one specific camera and two specific lenses whether anyone may agree with them or not. Oh well.. it doesn't really affect any of us and I don't really see any good reason for insults, hurt feewings or waving your member around. Though I also don't see the need for the OP to create two separate threads about it. I think one would suffice.

brad

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:37 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

poisonpill wrote:
Totally agree... and if he's an unintentional troll that may be worse.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised the responses have been to cordial to him so far.

Kudos to FM posters for keeping this civil. Think what would happened if it was DPR!!!

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:00 AM
form
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

MikeW wrote:
You are shooting weddings with a camera that has 36mp with prime lenses wide open & you are surprised at the result.

Why don't you rent a D700, D3 or a D4 & try again with those lenses. Bad combo to declare nikon lenses blow imo.

I'd consider canon if the cameras weren't so damn ugly, yes I'm vain :P

It's not just the image quality, it's more so the focus. 36mp or 12mp wouldn't affect the focus. It's not that the lenses blow, I just 1. don't like the 85's bokeh (although I like the 35's bokeh), 2. the 35 focuses too slow in all environments for me since I am accustomed to the Canon 35L's much faster focusing and I missed a number of shots with the 35g specifically because of slow focus, 3. both lenses seemed to have some difficulty with subjects near hyperfocal distance (frequently misfocusing slightly in front or back but not as often right on target), 4. both lenses pretty consistently backfocused on backlit subjects in many situations where my Canon stuff did not exhibit the same problem.

Maybe different technique would yield better results (I have a history of difficulty with getting reliable focus out of cameras that have options for AF tracking acquisition and retention, maybe their sensors are made differently), but I guess I have "canon 5d2" technique...it's possible that I might even have focus problems with a 5d3 that I don't currently have with my 5d2 because of certain habits I grew accustomed to over years.

I shoot nearly wide open often because 1. I deal with lots of dark environments, 2. I like the look of selective focus that reduces the distracting nature of other objects in the frame and makes it easier for the eyes to lock onto the intended point of interest...as long as that point of interest is in focus.

And I'm not passing full judgment on all lenses by any means...I just use 35 and 85 about 95% of the time, so those are naturally the two focal lengths I would be most critically assessing (and also the two I would try out first).

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 11:24 AM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Hulot
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

I can well understand that the Nikon interface is problematic for Canon users. Cameras are more like computer or smart phones these days. I have used a friends D800 for a couple of months now, when I ask him what he is doing with these funny Abcd menus he is just scratching his head

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:14 AM
form
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Tried to catch the Nikon bug...

BenV wrote:
I stopped reading at "First off, the 85 f/1.8g's background blur is just horrid...because it's perfect, it's uninteresting, it's blah."

Enjoy whatever system you leave to. You won't be missed.

I pretty clearly pointed out that bokeh appeal is subjective. I like imperfect bokeh. In some cases I even like bokeh most people would consider ugly...although I don't like Canon 50 f/1.4 bokeh.

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:16 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.