Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

campy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

I purchased a used 5D MK2 along with some lenses and a flash for short money. I will be selling off the lenses, flash and one of the 5D MK2's. The camera has a little under 29K actuations but does have a transferable Best Buy accidential damage warranty until 6/2014.
My current 5D MK2 was purchased refurbished from Canon last March and has 9700 actuations as of 11/2012 and probably has around 11-12K actuations now. I am tempted to keep the higher shutter count because of the extra warranty but it's still an unknown camera but seems to be working perfectly fine so far.
Which one would you keep?

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:36 PM
adrianb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

neither. Sell both for a 6D and a 1D III

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

I'd keep the one with the warranty. The recent refurb and low shutter count on the other one will help maximize your "short money". You don't have to tell them you're keeping the one with the warranty.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

Keep your refurbished 5D2 and sell the other camera with the BB warranty for a little extra money.

Neither camera is likely to fail you in the time you keep them, but the BB warranteed camera is more likely to do so. Additionally, the disruption and down-time for the repair detracts some of the value of the warranty for you, but other people less thoughtful won't consider that when they buy it and will pony up some extra cash.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #5 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

Since you are only going to keep one body, sell both of the Mark IIs and get a new to you /gently used Mark III for little or no money out of pocket.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:04 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

Sell them both locally for cheap

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:22 PM
matt.garnett
• •
p.1 #7 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

I second selling the referb. The best buy warranty is most likely non-transferable and a referb in good condition will definitely fetch better prices

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

How can I possibly answer this question?? I don't have the cameras and only you can make this decision.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

matt.garnett wrote:
I second selling the referb. The best buy warranty is most likely non-transferable and a referb in good condition will definitely fetch better prices

Please read the thread. The OP declares that the warranty is transferrable. Do you have some basis for insinuating the OP is incompetent?

"refurb".

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

If you are keeping one, yes, I agree with Jim, keep the BB warrantied one.

But the other advice is good too: sell them both for a 6D, or a good chunk toward a 5D3.

You'll have to end the mystery of the deal, and divulge the details including the lenses bought.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

campy
• •
p.1 #11 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

Let me clarify the warranty. It will be transferred to me by the original owner. He is in the process of doing that now.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:43 PM
dennisgibson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

Just give one of them to me. I'm only 5 minutes away

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:00 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

Keep the one you know the provenance of from new, that you know hasn't been dropped or misused, the one you know works to your liking.

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:15 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

I would be inclined to sell them both and pick up a 5DIII. But that's just me. If that is not an option for you, then you really can't do wrong with keeping either or. For piece of mind in case anything were to go wrong, I would consider keeping the 5DII with the BB warranty since it's good for another year. However, I would highly doubt anything would fail on the camera between now and when the warranty expires.

-Nick

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:59 PM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

If your set on keeping one, keep the refurb from canon, you know it left that place in tip top condition and you know all it's history.

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:01 PM
campy
• •
p.1 #16 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

Selling both to upgrade is not an option. I only bought the kit to resell the camera at what I paid and sell the other items for profit to offset some of the money I have spent since switching to Canon last April. I hope I don't seem to be a greedy capitalist.

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:37 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #17 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

adrianb wrote:
neither. Sell both for a 6D and a 1D III

Better yet, sell both and buy a 5d3. End the pain and lust.

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:56 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #18 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

I'd sell the refurbished. Per my experience, people who are in the used market are those who don't care much about warranty (if they did, they would have bought new). So, they're more interested in the lower price than anything else. Extended warranty is a nice extra to have, but your potential buyers aren't gonna give you that much value on it. Boosting the price up for $50 is probably the best you're looking at. For that reason, I'll just keep the one with the warranty.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:28 PM
campy
• •
p.1 #19 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

I think I am going to keep my original refurb, it still looks brand new compared to the other. Not that the other one is bad but I can see some small marks from normal use in different areas.

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:48 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #20 · Which 5D MK2 would you keep?

I'd sell the refurb, but that all depends on what you paid for it. Being newer with a lower shutter count, it will/should fetch a bit more money.

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password