Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Camera for 10 yr old

Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Camera for 10 yr old

Another vote for the T2i - you can't go wrong. Next is what lens...

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:33 AM
NCAndy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Camera for 10 yr old

I gave my 11yo daughter my old 20D because it wasn't worth selling. She uses it, mostly on P mode but has recently shown interest in learning how to use other settings. She has the 18-55 kit lens with it.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:39 AM
irieweasel
• • •
p.2 #3 · Camera for 10 yr old

lucas lumiere wrote:
I vote for the t2i. Great little camera, much better sensor and video implementation than the t1i.

Yet another +1. Definitely ≥T1i. The t2i is a great balance in price/features.. and yes, better sensor and video.

My nephew is 11, and has been shooting the T1i for a couple of years. His photography is great, and we added a 40 pancake for Christmas to expand his lens setup. The only problem is that he seems be interested in dabbling with video, and thus has been getting a bit frustrated with the current camera. He likes my 5D2 a lot, btw. Always an option. ;-]

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Camera for 10 yr old

Now, I can't remember which of the FMers showed the pic of his daughter (like 6 or 7 y.o.) wielding a 1D Mark II with the 40mm 'cake... That was awesome!

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:05 PM
gel685
• •
p.2 #5 · Camera for 10 yr old

20D. They are dirt cheap. My 11 year old daughter loves hers. Her photos won did very well at the county fair judging. I doubt there's much to gain at that age for something more expensive.--Eric.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:27 PM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.2 #6 · Camera for 10 yr old

20d is a great camera. I know there are a lot of 40d fans out there but I feel like it's in many ways the best value to performance of all the xxd's.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:43 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.2 #7 · Camera for 10 yr old

I'm a bit surprised that DSLRs are recommended for young children. My first impression is that the shirt-pocket-sized P&S models would be more appropriate for a variety of reasos. They would fit a child's hand better. They're more easily carried and more easily used by a child. The cost is less. Models with a short zoom would be easier to use than switching lenses. Quality for 4 x 6 prints is more than adequate.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:58 PM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.2 #8 · Camera for 10 yr old

Some kids like to learn early. Maybe they've already had a point and shoot for 5 years.

Any of the shockproof waterproof compacts make great first cameras!

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Mickey
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Camera for 10 yr old

The problem with a P&S is that they can make for lazy photography and bad habits are hard to break. It's also too much like cell phone photography. The DSLR will encourage adventuring into the world of photography.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:14 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Camera for 10 yr old

He has access to a P&S if he wants it (which is actually my waterproof Panasonic), but he wants/needs something more advanced. Last year he was shooting mostly with a NEX 5n, with which we placed in several categories in the county fair photo age group competitions. He's savvy enough to know that he wanted an optical viewfinder, so I think he can handle it. He's signed up for a photography class in summer camp this year so I don't really have any concerns with picking him a cheap DSLR.

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · Camera for 10 yr old

GCasey wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that DSLRs are recommended for young children. My first impression is that the shirt-pocket-sized P&S models would be more appropriate for a variety of reasos. They would fit a child's hand better. They're more easily carried and more easily used by a child. The cost is less. Models with a short zoom would be easier to use than switching lenses. Quality for 4 x 6 prints is more than adequate.

My son (then 7) was using the P&S..and you could see he was getting frustrated with the results, missed shots, blurry etc. This year (he is 9 now) I gave him a T2i with 70-200 and its a whole new world for him.
He is even setting it up on the tripod at home and taking photos of the legos he builds, now he doesn't have to ask me and wait on me...ANd...he is showing lots of interest in reading photography magazines.

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Access
• • •
p.2 #12 · Camera for 10 yr old

I think Rebel is your best shot. When I was 6 my dad gave me an old Rebel and two lenses (50mm f/1.8, 70-200 zoom) which seemed to work out pretty well for me. It was simple to use, one autofocus focus point (center only) and only a few modes on the dials.

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:24 AM
robstein
• • •
p.2 #13 · Camera for 10 yr old

My 13 year old has been using my old 20D for a while now.... It's sunk cost to think of what I paid for it :-( so grab one for $200 or less and let them have at it with a great little camera. Cheaper then most P&S's :-)

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:58 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.2 #14 · Camera for 10 yr old

GC5 wrote:
Dorian, I want to mentor my son in his exploration of photography, not to get divorced...

There are other wife's and think about the bonding you can do every other weekend with TWO 1Dx's!

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.2 #15 · Camera for 10 yr old

firstgear99 wrote:
There are other wife's and think about the bonding you can do every other weekend with TWO 1Dx's!

My workmate just went through a divorce. Cost him $40K, the house, plus $1000/month for next 3 years. I decided to keep courting the wife I have.

That T2I or 20D (and keep the current wife happy) sounds like a better option (although the reviews on the 1DX are very good). I was able to pick up a T2I display body (no box, accessories, lens, or charger) for $200 at Frys a few months ago. It makes a nice loaner / back-up camera and would be great for a teenager.

Steve

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:54 PM
davinyc
• •
p.2 #16 · Camera for 10 yr old

When I was 10 my Dad gave me a Russian Zenith with built in light meter and a basic lens. My friends laughed at the chunky camera but the results were great. I learned a lot with that although thought it was complicated at first.

A 30D or 40D with a couple of lenses is probably the modern equivalent.

Feb 09, 2013 at 03:13 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.2 #17 · Camera for 10 yr old

Sjjindra wrote:
My workmate just went through a divorce. Cost him $40K, the house, plus $1000/month for next 3 years. I decided to keep courting the wife I have.

That T2I or 20D (and keep the current wife happy) sounds like a better option (although the reviews on the 1DX are very good). I was able to pick up a T2I display body (no box, accessories, lens, or charger) for $200 at Frys a few months ago. It makes a nice loaner / back-up camera and would be great for a teenager.

Steve
your workmate got off easy! I was on the hook for 70 months....at quite a bit more than that....if you ask me, he got off easy!

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:56 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Camera for 10 yr old

My son and his new T1i (both taken with an M and FD 85 1.8):

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:14 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.2 #19 · Camera for 10 yr old

get a 20d or rebel and some random glass. then go out and enjoy quality time with your son. its great that there is the common interest. enjoy. (see above photos!)

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:42 AM
Glenn NK
• •
p.2 #20 · Camera for 10 yr old

I voted for the 30D because that's what I'm letting my 10 year old grand daughter use (I already have it).

A 40D would also be good - the reasoning is that a 10 year old may subject a camera to a "few" bumps.

The 30D and 40D have metal bodies, whereas the cheaper series do not and won't take the same abuse without some possible damage.

Glenn

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:39 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password