Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Website optimized for iPads

jmraso
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Website optimized for iPads

I was wondering who has their Site optimized not only for smartphones but also for iPads that are
higger in resolutions but slow internet access when they connect through any mobile access.

So the idea is having 3 versions (at least) of one Site, one for computers, one for smartphones and one for
iPads or tablets and avoiding google penalty for considering it duplicates of the same site.

Jaime

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:19 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Website optimized for iPads

Why not have 1 version which works on them all? Mine does...

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:34 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Website optimized for iPads

Just use a responsive site. Responsive will scale to whatever device is used automatically. No need for 3 sites.. I recommend Wordpress. Tons of pro responsive customizable themes. Mine is responsive.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:36 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Website optimized for iPads

rawfolio designs work really well on mobile devices

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:44 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Website optimized for iPads

NYstyles wrote:
Just use a responsive site. Responsive will scale to whatever device is used automatically. No need for 3 sites.. I recommend Wordpress. Tons of pro responsive customizable themes. Mine is responsive.

+1

also, cargo collective works well on my iphone.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:53 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Website optimized for iPads

You can use this tool to see what your site looks like on different devices:
http://www.studiopress.com/responsive

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:53 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Website optimized for iPads

ai3x wrote:

+1

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:09 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Website optimized for iPads

Responsive is the way to go from here on out, I dig the way mine works.

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:13 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Website optimized for iPads

Thanks for the answers,

Ok a responsive site may be the way to go but what about the size and weight of the pictures, it is not the same a device with a high speed connection than with a mobile and limited connection one gets with the mobile phone companies.

The other day the rep of a lab I work with come to my studio and we took a look at my site in his iPad and because he had a limited speed it took ages to download my site section with the galleries because the total weight of the pictures in the slideshow.

Jaime

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:01 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Website optimized for iPads

i think responsive design will resize it to display correctly to the width of your screen. I viewed my photo website (photo.josephabad.com) on my iphone and displays it to fit to the screen (images are originally around 800px when viewed on a desktop). I do not see any loss of IQ. You do not have to worry about resizing images to accommodate multiple screen sizes.

Also, I hope your images for the web are 72dpi. They should upload no problem on a mobile connection, unless your connection is really bad.

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:01 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Website optimized for iPads

Thanks abadass,

the guy from the lab had a really bad internet connection in his iPad which made me think of potential clients visiting my site with such a bad connection.

Jaime

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:18 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Website optimized for iPads

jmraso wrote:
we took a look at my site in his iPad and because he had a limited speed it took ages to download my site section with the galleries because the total weight of the pictures

Do you keep an eye on the weight of each picture you upload to your gallery in order to make sure that each picture does not exceed a maximum weight?

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Website optimized for iPads

+1 on Responsive WP themes. I am using it. Tested on all major nexus 7, galaxy tab, ipad and even Playbook!
Very happy.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:52 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Website optimized for iPads

Ghost wrote:
+1 on Responsive WP themes. I am using it. Tested on all major nexus 7, galaxy tab, ipad and even Playbook!

How can a person know if a particular WordPress theme is a Responsive one?

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:44 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Website optimized for iPads

D. Diggler wrote:
Do you keep an eye on the weight of each picture you upload to your gallery in order to make sure that each picture does not exceed a maximum weight?

Yes, it is a slideshow of 37 pictures weigthing between 60 to 120kbs each though the slideshow doesnt have to download all the photos to start up, weird.

Well I just quickly did a iPad version http://www2.jmraso.com (sorry for the link and please if you could take a look at it in an iPad or tablet and comment) but the responsive thing is really what I will try to develop.

Jaime

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:33 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Website optimized for iPads

jmraso wrote:
it is a slideshow of 37 pictures weigthing between 60 to 120kbs

Oh that's not too bad. Sixty to 120 is very reasonable.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:17 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Website optimized for iPads

I do not have issues with images with my theme or load times. Ive even check my site on a Super large screen(was a TV) and it still works great. Do the switch over and you'll never look back. Responsive is the future of websites, it will be a matter of time before all are responsive. Mobile users just keep growing. Just size your images according to what the theme is set up for. My site is 940w for images.

Tons of great themes here for Wordpress if you decide to go that route. I personally think WP is the poo having a flash look, built in blog, very customizable, and awesome for SEO. You'll see a bunch are responsive. http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress

You can check my site to check out a responsive theme if you'd like. I just did a makeover about a month ago still tweaking a bit. http://kastylephotography.net

D. Diggler wrote:
How can a person know if a particular WordPress theme is a Responsive one?

It will say its responsive in the theme description.

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 09:13 AM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:02 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Website optimized for iPads

abadass wrote:
i think responsive design will resize it to display correctly to the width of your screen. I viewed my photo website (photo.josephabad.com) on my iphone and displays it to fit to the screen (images are originally around 800px when viewed on a desktop). I do not see any loss of IQ. You do not have to worry about resizing images to accommodate multiple screen sizes.

Also, I hope your images for the web are 72dpi. They should upload no problem on a mobile connection, unless your connection is really bad.

wrong and wrong

you do need to worry about resized images specifically for high density displays or you WILL lose either:
A. image quality
B. screen real estate

and dpi has nothing to do with web images. it's 2013 and people still don't quite understand the difference between dpi, ppi, and when they matter and don't matter

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:03 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Website optimized for iPads

Full resolution images you would use for print take forever to load.. So 72 is highly recommended for web use. Responsive will take care of sizing for any viewing device, PC, mobile, tabled, super huge TV..

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 09:10 AM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:07 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Website optimized for iPads

ai3x wrote:

i don't have my iphone/ipad in front of me now, but from a quick glance at your site, it's not at all responsive and although it may display OK on a mobile device, it is far from the proper way of doing so

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:07 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.