Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Luma Cinch strap

RJKphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Luma Cinch strap

Does anyone know why the Luma Cinch strap is not even available for ordering on their website? Are they having problems with the strap?

Thanks.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Luma Cinch strap

could be any number of reasons but they did say in a few weeks. I have mine and it is my preferred strap. I mixed it with a Custom SLR C loop and it makes for a highly usable QR system that is baseline simple to use. I was about to get and build another setup but you have just slowed me down. i'll stand by to see like you.
http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:52 PM
1KIND
• •
p.1 #3 · Luma Cinch strap

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1262940&highlight=luma

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Luma Cinch strap

"a design involving carbon fiber". I can't see where there could be any advantage in its use here.
but then again possibly replacing the alloy components with a CF reinforced polymer is about the only thing they really could do.

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:45 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Luma Cinch strap

Hmm, pretty interesting strap. I like the design; I carry a Chrome messenger bag frequently that has a similar style quick-adjust for tightening or loosening the strap.

I've been on the lookout for a replacement strap, this might have just jumped to the top of the list. sjms, I swap out my L-bracket on my camera from time to time and would rather not fuss with an attachment to the tripod mount or to the L-bracket. Have you tried just using both of the standard connectors on the right and left of the camera, with this strap?

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Luma Cinch strap

no, I don't even use them. I simply screw/unscrew it from the tripod hole in the L bracket. it is solid on and will not spin out on its own. I rarely remove my L bracket. the strap setup moves back and forth between bodies.

NIKON D7000    17.0-70.0 mm f/2.8-4.0 lens    70mm    f/5.6    1/60s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:22 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Luma Cinch strap

Yeah, I guess realistically I rarely remove the L-bracket, was more thinking that I'd have to unscrew it every time I wanted to put it on a tripod. Hmm.

edit: oh, I see, you don't even use either mounting point - just hang the whole thing from the tripod screw.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:29 PM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #8 · Luma Cinch strap

Carryspeed uses the same kind if quick adjustment - even the leather loop and aluminum parts look identical. I recently switched from an R-Strap to Carryspeed. The R-Strap is great but the ballhead connector of the Carryspeed works great (better) with my RRS setup. In addition I use a Spider Arca Swiss bottom plate on my L-Bracket and lock that in the Spider metal holster at my belt. That way the weight is shared between belt and shoulder and the camera would not dangle around when I turn or bend down.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:33 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Luma Cinch strap

you got it, it works nicely with their strap an things don't slide around either. snugged up and no movement. I can put my camera behind me and it will pretty much stay there w/o me having to intervene.

Edited on Feb 07, 2013 at 09:42 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Luma Cinch strap

fgransee wrote:
Carryspeed uses the same kind if quick adjustment - even the leather loop and aluminum parts look identical. I recently switched from an R-Strap to Carryspeed. The R-Strap is great but the ballhead connector of the Carryspeed works great (better) with my RRS setup. In addition I use a Spider Arca Swiss bottom plate on my L-Bracket and lock that in the Spider metal holster at my belt. That way the weight is shared between belt and shoulder and the camera would not dangle around when I turn or bend down.

saw the carryspeed at photo plus. sorry it really did nothing for me. too many parts, clips, and doodads and in the end still like an R strap with the sliding strap clip.

I really kinda stopped getting into this sophisticated angles and dangles. they are truly getting rather out of hand and overbearing. what I have is relatively simple and has very few potential failure points.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Luma Cinch strap

Just looked at the Carry Speed... I just don't see that working well for my style of shooting. Camera plate is too big and would be either extremely bulky/unwieldy or require removal when I wanted to use an Arca plate. Not sure I love adding that much junk to my setup, either - straps twist and fall pretty well on their own without introducing ball joints into the equation.

Looks like not a bad setup if you exclusively shoot handheld (or your tripod sessions are completely independent of your handheld sessions), and you don't mind a little added bulk. I subscribe to the KISS theory and would rather not introduce additional failure points - or weight, for that matter.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:53 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #12 · Luma Cinch strap

binary visions wrote:
Yeah, I guess realistically I rarely remove the L-bracket, was more thinking that I'd have to unscrew it every time I wanted to put it on a tripod. Hmm.

edit: oh, I see, you don't even use either mounting point - just hang the whole thing from the tripod screw.

A workable solution for sling-style straps, if you have Arca plates on your cameras and lenses, is to attach a mini Arca-style clamp to the attachment screw on the strap. That way you can quickly attach/remove the strap from either your camera or lens tripod collar. Sliding the clamp along the bottom or side of an L-bracket or lens collar plate helps to balance your lens/camera combination. It's fast, easy, and more versatile than any of the other solutions I've seen.

I used the Kirk 1" clamp as it was the smallest I could find at the time, but pretty much anything will do. Just remember to add a couple of drops of blue Loctite to the threads for safety.

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Luma Cinch strap

that is exactly what I didn't want to do.

reason: since the AS clamp uses for the most part a screw type assy as it swings around and can unscrew itself at the clamp. the screw assy is at a right angle to the camera.

Feb 08, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #14 · Luma Cinch strap

sjms wrote:
that is exactly what I didn't want to do.

reason: since the AS clamp uses for the most part a screw type assy as it swings around and can unscrew itself at the clamp. the screw assy is at a right angle to the camera.

A valid concern, and that's what I thought too, but after using it this way for about a year I have full confidence in it. I keep the knob facing the front of the camera so that tucks under the lens. The knob is out of the way and doesn't come into contact with anything.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:42 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Luma Cinch strap

Not a bad idea. I don't really like to add weight or more moving parts where I don't need them, though. I'll be picking up a Cinch when they're available again and I'll probably experiment with the different mounting options until I find one I'm happy with.

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:42 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Luma Cinch strap

Bump for the introduction of the new Cinch 2.

When I saw the announcement and the details, I must confess that I was a little sad. The machined parts were beautiful and the pull tab was exactly why I was considering the setup. They did away with both of those things. I know not all injection molded plastics are equal, so I wasn't assuming their new plastics were junk, but they did it in the name of cost reduction and I'm usually willing to pay a little more for quality materials. If they hadn't dropped the price, I wouldn't have ordered, but since they knocked $15 off the price AND included an Arca plate, I decided to pick up a pre-order of the new strap.

The video they posted looked good, but these things are always set up to operate perfectly, and usually done with several takes. I've certainly never owned a plastic slider that operated as smoothly as the one in the video, and I received the strap yesterday with heavy skepticism and a little expectation of disappointment:
http://player.vimeo.com/video/63530482

I'm happy to report that the new sliders are truly excellent. It's exactly as smooth as the video indicates - the slightest pull will open the strap up, and simply unweighting the camera and tugging the slider back tightens everything perfectly. As an added bonus, this removes the loop sticking out from the camera strap, and takes away all of the metal near the camera/lens which reduces the likelihood of scratches when you stow it.

Apr 23, 2013 at 03:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Luma Cinch strap

actually they sort of spoil that "no metal near the camera" with their quick links option (see their site). what were they thinking?. my new one is home about 950 miles away right now.

http://prerelease.luma-labs.com/collections/frontpage/products/plate-quick-links#content

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:03 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Luma Cinch strap

I really don't like those quick links. They don't come with the strap, which is just as well since I would have discarded them.

They seem kind of at odds with the rest of their mantra which seems to be that everything should be well crafted and carefully thought out. The quick links are big, clunky, cheap and ugly. No thanks.

Right now I'm rolling with the strap attachment point on the left side of the camera, and the one on the RRS L-bracket. It's not perfect since there's still a corner of the camera that bounces into my back/side a little when hanging a heavy lens, but it's a whole lot better than the stock strap which ground the entire bottom edge of the camera into me.

Apr 23, 2013 at 06:51 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Luma Cinch strap

How long have you been using that Custom SLR C-loop? Any trouble with it? Any comments on it?

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Luma Cinch strap

About a year now. Occasionally throw a little wax in the spinning parts to make it spin real good. I am more then satisfied with the use they are getting.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password