Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

morganb4
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

So I am processing a wedding where there is a lot of RED. Im looking at the final output jpgs on my laptop and loads of it looks saturated.

If I go back to the U2711 in LR (system where I do my editting) and turn things down a bit, everything starts to look dull and flat.

I dont seem to be able to see in LR when I am going to far for sRGB.

Im using LR4. Any help would be good, Im way behind.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

Are you using soft-proofing?
In the Develop module, it is a check box under the image window. If you don't see it, you may need to turn on the soft-proofing option in the toolbar to make it visible.
Once on, you can select your color space for soft-proofing under the histogram and the histogram will then show you clipping relative to the target color space.
If you make adjustments while in that mode, you will have the option to save those adjustments as a virtual copy rather than adjustments to the primary image.

Making adjustments using soft-proofing isn't necessarily magic. Some people find that letting LR do the adjustments automatically produces better results in some cases, but if the reds are very saturated it might be helpful for you to get at least partway there with your own adjustments.

Changing the camera profile you are using (neutral, for example) might also be something you might want to try although it might impact your "style".

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

You can also activate soft-proofing with "View>Soft Proofing" from the menu.

Here is a pretty good quick quide to LR soft-proofing:

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/lightroom-4-soft-proofing.html

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:50 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

Thanks man, thats a helpful start.

I have been trying targeted colour adjustments and not had too much joy, I just end up killing off everything else red. One problem is that there is a *lot* of red velvet everywhere and it just picks up the flash and any other light and really amps up.

I have found that using a brush that reduces saturation and shadows and adds some contrast is helping a lot - it allows me to paint the reds back to a more believable level.

How does this look:

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 11:44 AM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:51 AM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #5 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

When you say "turn things down a bit" are you referring to making global adjustments to the whole image, or are you using the HSL adjustments?

EDIT - Sorry, I think I was in the middle of writing my reply when you posted your last comment.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:09 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

I was trying to make targeted HSL adjustments but it was just wrecking faces and lips and other dresses. The 'red' elements were so red that it was hard to just reduce the red saturation without affecting the rest of the image.

I think I have settled on a good solution.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

Your sample pic looks pretty good to me, at least for a Jpeg at this size.

This is the kind of situation where making a custom profile for you camera using a colorchecker/passport and the Adobe DNG Profile Editor can be a big help. The DNG Profile Editor uses more data points than the simple calibration sliders in LR so it's possible to roll off the high saturation values without impacting the more subtle colors as much. Might be something you want to look into when you have the time if you haven't already.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:23 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

I have a custom profile. It seems it did nothing :-(

What about this one?

Does it look OK, pop etc?

Edited on Feb 08, 2013 at 11:44 AM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

Looks good to me. Main things I notice for saturation clipping are either complete loss of detail (solid red) or a mottling-like appearance due to loss of detail in the red channel. I don't see either of those things here and the reds aren't clipped technically in this sRGB.

If you have many of these and since you already have a custom profile, you might want to try creating a custom variant of your custom profile using the DNG Profile Editor. You can essentially edit your custom profile to try to tame the highly-saturated reds without impacting skin tones and more subtle colors. Not sure if it would be worth the time but it would be another alternative.

Looks like you're on the right track, though.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:18 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

I have a mountain of them. Im considering it.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

For your custom profile, did you use the DNG Profile Editor or X-rite's profile creator? I ask because my limited experience with the Xrite software seemed to give me more saturation compared to Adobe's software - particularly in the red/oranges.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:01 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

I used the DNG editor. The trouble here is that the material involved is incredibly reflective.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:20 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

Whenever working with very vivid reds, remember that the sRGB colorspace is going to severely limit the gamut. AdobeRGB will retain a lot more red tones than sRGB.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:15 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

Thanks. I havent escaped sRGB. How are they looking to you Spencer?

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:27 PM
klee.007
• •
p.1 #15 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

Wait... I thought it didn't matter if you shot sRGB or AdobeRGB in RAW since Lightroom works in ProPhoto RGB. I've been shooting sRGB.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:25 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

Morgan, the images look fine as far as saturation goes.

klee.007 wrote:
Wait... I thought it didn't matter if you shot sRGB or AdobeRGB in RAW since Lightroom works in ProPhoto RGB. I've been shooting sRGB.

It's more on the output from LR to your color space.

If your monitor+browser are color aware, you'll see the difference.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

cool to see the difference spencer....

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

Spencer probably should have said "If your monitor+browser are color aware AND YOU HAVE A WIDE-GAMUT MONITOR, you'll see the difference."

If you have a monitor that is not wide gamut, you likely will see very little difference in his sample. The monitor gamut becomes the limiting factor.

sRGB is probably still the best color space for web viewing if you want to address the widest audience. For prints or albums it depends on what your lab supports. Inkjets can exceed even AdobeRGB for some colors. The gamut of chemical photo printers like Fujis and Noritsus are not normally much larger than sRGB.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:55 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

The trouble is that while my production system is wide gamut, my output is nearly always sRGB because thats what the couple will be using mostly. My usual print output is sRGB.

Im pretty happy with the final output now but thanks to everyone thats chimed in.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:17 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Processing help needed: Extremely red wedding.

I'm not getting what you're showing here, Spencer. You export in Adobe RGB and convert to SRGB to get result on the right?

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:08 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password