Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

krickett
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Funny, haha, because I think Nikon users feel the same way.

You'd always see this argument from Canon users about "I can't without X lens", but Nikon is slowly plugging those holes. First the 70-200 f/4, perhaps the 80-400 someday, and maybe a 17mm tilt shift.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:00 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Can't wait for the 28 part "Roger Decides to Buy A Car" series...

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:38 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

krickett wrote:
Funny, haha, because I think Nikon users feel the same way.

You'd always see this argument from Canon users about "I can't without X lens", but Nikon is slowly plugging those holes. First the 70-200 f/4, perhaps the 80-400 someday, and maybe a 17mm tilt shift.

Yes, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

krickett wrote:
[paraphrased with underlined text for ironic value by jcolwell]

Funny, haha, because I think Canon users feel the same way.

You'd always see this argument from Canon users about "I can't without X camera", but Canon is slowly plugging those holes. First the 1DX perhaps the 1DsX someday, and maybe a MF body.

Apologies to krickett.

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

I wish I could get FF IQ and 5D3 responsiveness in a Nikon FM/Sony RX sized body.

Two of those bodies + three fast primes = bliss.

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:57 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

NCAndy wrote:
I have enjoyed reading the whole series. It's nice to have choices. My take from Roger's blog is, as a Canon user, just how close Canon is to having it all. We're just one high mp camera, some firmware and perhaps an excellent ultrawide zoom away. I'm sure that will come in time, but overall I'm pretty happy now. Having good competition in the market helps us all.

Interestingly, owning both 14-24, and 16-35, as well as tse 24, I think an excellent ultrawide zoom is not canon's biggest problem. the 14-24 d800 combo is amazing, b/c of both the lens, and the camera. a high MP canon camera will have a pretty good resolving power even with 16-35. also 16-35II takes filters a lot more easily, and the 14-24 is very flare prone.
Canon's weakness remains its dynamic range, and resolution, ie, its sensor. the resolution is very useful for landscape photographers, as well as wild life photographers (same reason many prefer cropped camera). The dynamic range will primarily benefit landscape photgraphers, and the new fad of interior HDR photography. In return, canon has the edge in autofocus right now.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:15 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

kevindar wrote:
Interestingly, owning both 14-24, and 16-35, as well as tse 24, I think an excellent ultrawide zoom is not canon's biggest problem. the 14-24 d800 combo is amazing, b/c of both the lens, and the camera. a high MP canon camera will have a pretty good resolving power even with 16-35. also 16-35II takes filters a lot more easily, and the 14-24 is very flare prone.
Canon's weakness remains its dynamic range, and resolution, ie, its sensor. the resolution is very useful for landscape photographers, as well as wild life photographers (same reason many prefer cropped camera). The dynamic range will
...Show more

I just assumed the next high mp camera would also have better DR. Maybe I'm just wishing but I think Canon is aware of where they stand vs the competition.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:01 PM
krickett
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

jcolwell wrote:
[paraphrased with underlined text for ironic value by jcolwell]

Funny, haha, because I think Canon users feel the same way.

You'd always see this argument from Canon users about "I can't without X camera", but Canon is slowly plugging those holes. First the 1DX perhaps the 1DsX someday, and maybe a MF body.

Apologies to krickett.

What are you apologizing for?

[Well, I probably should have quoted the post right before mine xD]

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:19 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Finale: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/02/roger-buys-a-camera-system-finally

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM
GoGo
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

The truth about cameras is that no single manufacturer makes a system that can do everything required in every circumstance.

Every single system out there excells at certain tasks and is weak in others.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.