Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

Seems to me like my 50D had one, but the 5D-mkIII does not come with one, only a stereo cable and a USB cable.

That is just some info, now a question. When hooked to a laptop for remote shooting, does HDMI provide better resolution? Otherwise is it worth buying a cable?

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:56 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

I havnt seen hdmi cables included in any canon camera box.

USB + composite video is all.

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:12 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

The 50D didn't come with an HDMI cable.

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:20 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

I thought the hdmi cable was to go directly into a monitor / TV for viewing. no?

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:29 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

I haven't seen a HDMI cable with any Canon camera; just USB and composite video

I don't think it would give any resolution advantage for remote shooting. It's the same file being sent - if you still get a 10MB file transferred, I don't see how it matters what cable it came through.
The only possible difference I can see is the transfer speed, but I haven't used HDMI so I can't be sure.

It might be useful for video or live view?

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

My 1DX didn't. My SmallHD DP6 did. The SmallHD DP6 provides a 5.6" 1280x800px external screen through the camera mini-HDMI port. It's great for macro and tilt-shift.

I assume that the camera HDMI-out will drive a computer HDMI-in, but you might not be able to run your remote control apps at the same time (i.e. on the same screen). It would probably be the same as hooking your camera to a HDMI TV - you see what's on the camera LCD.

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

Hmm, I sold the 50D with an HDMI, must have been from another device.

Many small monitors intended for focus aids require HDMI. The lack of HDMI on the 1DS-mk3 is what kept me from getting a monitor for use with focus when the camera is out of my view, like near the ground for example.

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:59 PM
photomax

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

HDMI is to connect to external video. I got one from www.hypershop.com. They have very thin cables that are much easier to pack for a trip.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:00 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

I sure hope that 1dc comes with an HDMI cable or else!

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

Even monitors that take HDMI input don't come with HDMI cables.

Check monoprice.com they have excellent pricing on hdmi cables.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

ben egbert wrote:
Hmm, I sold the 50D with an HDMI, must have been from another device.

Many small monitors intended for focus aids require HDMI. The lack of HDMI on the 1DS-mk3 is what kept me from getting a monitor for use with focus when the camera is out of my view, like near the ground for example.

That's exactly why I got the DP6. Fortunately, my current DSLR bodies all have HDMI output. I didn't get the DP6 until after selling my 1DsIII.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

HDMI cables are not included in the dSLR still cameras. The HDMI output on the 5DIII is a signal very close to what you see on the LCD on the back of the camera. Both Nikon and Canon confuse the issue quite a bit by providing different resolution for record Vs play (video) but stills output is also impacted. See "DSLR Auto Scaling". I discuss this in my article under "Hardware & Software Features".
http://www.fredmiranda.com/smallhd/

If you are watching the camera output via the HDMI output, notice if you press the info button several times you will change the resolution of the HDMI output in one of the positions. On my 6D I also note that the level function cannot be seen in the external monitor. I would presume the 5DIII is like this too?
Mike K

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:47 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

Not sure about the level function since I don't have a HDMI cable, but I see it when tethered via usb. I also note it does not agree with my spirit levels.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:56 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

Question for Mike:

I tried the 5DS-mkIII with the 17TSE today. I got pretty good tilt feedback with the live view on the LCD. Need to do some more testing in a better environment however.

Testing a 17 at standing height does not tell me much and I am not able to do low shots. But if I can improvise a test, I will be able to see if that resolution is sufficient.

If so, I may not need to push the resolution to the nth degree. Maybe one of the current monitors will work for me.

The 17 is the only lens I need this for. I focus the Samyang 14 via the focus ring which I have calibrated. The other lenses are all AF. I sold all my other primes.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:01 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

Ben,
Using the TSE lens very close to the ground:

Simply go out to your driveway and see how low you can shoot and maintain accurate tilt/focus adjustments. 5x magnification may be good enough; move the magnified area from a near foreground subject (for tilt) to an background subject some distance away (for focus). You can still see the LCD from an angle and get a good enough view to fine adjust tilt/focus until the camera gets to <1-2 ft above the ground. Below that height and you nay have to lay down on the ground to get a good enough view of the LCD to fine adjust the tilt/focus. This low camera height is where I use the external monitor to see details well. I bend over the camera looking down at the external monitor while adjusting the TS lock and adjusting knobs. If you can make out the details in the LCD, it will not deceive you on fine adjustment of tilt/focus. The camera LCD resolution is good enough at 5-10X, but your eyes need to be close enough to it to clearly make out detail sharpness. The poorer your eyesight the closer to the LCD you will have to get. If you cannot make out the LCD well fine adjusting tilt and focus will be a crap shoot as its hard enough to do well when you can see the LCD effectively.
Mike K

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:07 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

Hi Mike. I have a hunch back so I am not able to view the LCD bent over, I am looking at the ground. I need to lean backwards to see straight ahead when standing. This has hindered me in low shots. With difficulty I can get into a setting position which is still about 3 feet off the ground.

But I will give it a try. It has been pretty dark as well and that does not help. Thanks fro the tips.

Edit.

My big issue with TSE lenses has been edges not foreground or distance. I get the mountains sharp and tilt for something a few feet in front of me and both will be sharp. But something a half mile away at the edge will be soft.

This is with the 24TSE and it is very sharp at the edges so it is a tilt/focus. This is especially a problem with receding ground which may require more tilt than the foreground.

Tilt works best for landscapes when you have a fairly long level foreground and nothing tall in the near distance. But if you do, you must check focus everywhere very carefully.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

ben egbert wrote:
My big issue with TSE lenses has been edges not foreground or distance. I get the mountains sharp and tilt for something a few feet in front of me and both will be sharp. But something a half mile away at the edge will be soft.

Ben, this sounds like field curvature, this is with the 24 TSE II or 17 TSE?

This is with the 24TSE and it is very sharp at the edges so it is a tilt/focus. This is especially a problem with receding ground which may require more tilt than the foreground.

Tilt works best for
...Show more

Exactly. This is where the higher resolution LCD with 5-10X magnify is such a critical tool, as you can move it about to almost any position. And this is precisely why the angle finder will not work with tilt/shift applications, it is always centered, and with no more than 2.5X. For TSE application in landscapes you need to see the edges of the composition with good resolution.
Mike K

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

ben egbert wrote:
Seems to me like my 50D had one, but the 5D-mkIII does not come with one, only a stereo cable and a USB cable.

That is just some info, now a question. When hooked to a laptop for remote shooting, does HDMI provide better resolution? Otherwise is it worth buying a cable?

Each generation camera box I get is smaller than the one before due to the removal of extras. Just be thankful you even get the camera in the box these days, they are such tight arses.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:45 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

I'm trying to think what was left out of the 6d box that was included in my 7d or 350d box.

Camera, battery, charger, manuals, disks, cables (usb/composite), strap.
Nope all was there.

PP what do you think has been left out?

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · No HDMI cable included with 5D-mkIII

I finally finished my Focal micro adjust testing. I then did some experiments using live view from my laptop as a focus aid. This is to see is I want to use a remote monitor in the field.

I used my 17TSE at about 3 feet off the ground to make sure I would need a non trivial tilt. This is about my lowest comfortable shooting height anyway. Without shift, this included ground level at 44 inches from the front of the lens.

I was obliged to shoot in my basement due to inclement weather.

I hooked up via the USB cable, and the response was less clunky than with my 1DS-mk3 and the display seemed sharper.

I was able to use live view to focus far, and then tilt to get the closest ground level detail and also check the sides. The test was a success.

I then retested exactly the same but using live view. I can lay one image over the other in photoshop and not see any difference between them at 100%.

So this means I can use live view for tilt shift focus in the field and at least for now will not need a remote monitor.

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password