New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My first MF alt lens

TAGfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My first MF alt lens

I won the XPro 1 and I would love to buy the 23 1.4, however its not out yet. Have some travels coming up and wanted to take a peek at some alt lenses that could be adapted to the Fuji.

If I wanted to stay in the 30-35mm area, what would my best value options be?

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:32 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My first MF alt lens

The Nikkor AI/AI-S 35/2 and 35/2.8 are both very nice lenses.

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:33 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My first MF alt lens

Leica 35 lux Asph, oh wait, I should ask what your budget is.
Nikkor O.C 35/2 would IMO look better on the XP1 then the AI-S, and it's sharp.
Do you want rangefinder or an SLR lens? RF's can be a bit harder to focus, but are more compact.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/03/28/the-great-35mm-rangefinder-lens-shootout-by-brad-husick/

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/04/09/the-great-35mm-rangefinder-lens-shootout-part-2-close-up-and-wide-open-by-brad-husick/

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:04 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My first MF alt lens

Oh, reading this again, you probably want 30-35mm effective, right?

Then the Nikkor 20/2.8 might be nice and not too expensive, but this is a focal length which is hard to get a great lens in for a good price.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:16 AM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My first MF alt lens

You can also try a Canon FD 24mm f2.0. If your budget is less, you can also go with a Canon FD 24mm f2.8 or the Rokkor MD 24mm f2.8. However, I suspect that Fuji's native 23mm f1.4 is going to be a better lens for a X series camera than those adapted lenses.

I guess you can also try the Contax G 21mm f2.8 but I'm not sure if that has smeared corners or color shifting on a X-Pro 1. I also don't know if the back fins on that lens is going to scrape something inside the body of the X-Pro 1.

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:42 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My first MF alt lens

Depends on what you're after, and why you're looking alt.

The Fuji 18mm (27mm effective) and 35mm (53mm effective) are incredible lenses for size, weight, and quality. Sharp from wide open, aperture ring on the lens, just not AS nice to MF as a non-fly-by-wire design. But if you're MF'ing slowly, it's not a problem.

I've shot a Tamron Adaptell 17mm f/3.5 adapted to EOS then adapted to Fuji X-- and it seems great too. But I don't see why I'll use this over the 18mm, which is TINY, has a wide aperture, and is relatively fast to AF. I've also used an OM 24mm f/2.8 -> EOS -> X... fine too.

But my advice: Go with the Fuji Primes. Distortion also heavily corrected by SOOC jpeg or native RAW processing.

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:31 AM
TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My first MF alt lens

Yeah I am looking for 35mm effective - I already have the Fuji 35mm 1.4.

Anyone have experience with the FD 24 2.0 on a Fuji?

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:44 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My first MF alt lens

Nope, but it was decent on the NEX-5. I do think the Oly 24/2 is the best of the old MF SLR lenses in this range. Distortion's fairly well controlled, it takes some work to get it to flare, and CA's better controlled than anything comparable. The corners aren't great, even stopped down, but that's true of the FD and Nikon AIS as well. The Leica-R 24/2.8 e60's better in this respect than any of them, but it's slower but bigger, heavier, and more expensive than any of the others.

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:00 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.