Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

bcaslis wrote:
I don't know why anyone would compare the Sony DSLR IBIS to the OM-D. That is not what the NEX uses, it uses OSS in the lenses. I've had both and it seems to me they are basically equal with the lenses I've tried.

because mawz was talking about his experience with IBIS in general. IBIS is obviously an advantage for still shooters over OSS because IBIS covers every lens.

mawz wrote:
I have to disagree, for my shooting IBIS only really comes in handy when I'm already down around 1/15 in terms of shutter speed, I might get a stop out of it at best because at 1/8 or below no IS system can keep up.

i have to completely disagree with you here i had no problem regularly getting pixel sharp images at 100mm equiv at 1/5 of a second and 35mm equiv at 1/2 of a second with oly's IBIS. I could even count on getting at least one shot in burst perfectly sharp at 700mm equiv and 1/20 of a second.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:18 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

I just went through this decision at Christmas. I got my partner the OM-D, but advised her friend to get the NEX 6. Both systems are very good, and can serve very well but I do think they have different strengths. I got the OM-D for my partner partly because she shoots a fair amount of product photography and having good macro is important to her. For macro, I think the OM-D is significantly better. This may change when the new Zeiss 50 f/2.8 macro is released, but the Oly 60 f/2.8 macro is a very nice lens and not that expensive. For her friend, however, shooting portraits is her favourite application and she likes shallower depth of field. The NEX 6 for her seemed like the better choice. Bottom line both systems are great, but think about what you shoot as a you pick one over the other.

One other small point. Someone said the Panny/Leica 25 f/1.4 for the micro 4/3rds is an expensive lens. I don't think so, but that is always a matter of what one is willing to pay. I got one used for $450 for my partner, and it is a very good lens. At that price I consider it an excellent value.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:44 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.3 #3 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

sebboh wrote:
because mawz was talking about his experience with IBIS in general. IBIS is obviously an advantage for still shooters over OSS because IBIS covers every lens.

i have to completely disagree with you here i had no problem regularly getting pixel sharp images at 100mm equiv at 1/5 of a second and 35mm equiv at 1/2 of a second with oly's IBIS. I could even count on getting at least one shot in burst perfectly sharp at 700mm equiv and 1/20 of a second.

IBIS is advantage if you assume it gives better results than lens based IS. I have owned both the OM-D and NEX-7. With the Sony primes, I see the stabilization about equal with the OM-D. So, for the lenses I use, the OM-D doesn't have an advantage. It's still a very good camera, but this assumption that it has IBIS, QED it's better is not one I share.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:34 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

bcaslis wrote:
IBIS is advantage if you assume it gives better results than lens based IS. I have owned both the OM-D and NEX-7. With the Sony primes, I see the stabilization about equal with the OM-D. So, for the lenses I use, the OM-D doesn't have an advantage. It's still a very good camera, but this assumption that it has IBIS, QED it's better is not one I share.

IBIS is an advantage not because it works better, but because it makes ALL your lenses stabilized. if you are happy using only sony's stabilized lenses than it is no advantage to you. i personally don't care much for most of sony's lens offerings or AF lenses in general so i severely miss IBIS on my NEX-7.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Peire
• • •
p.3 #5 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

NEX6.As a rule of thumb - the bigger sensor size the better overall IQ.They were the times I considered micro 4/3 cams as 2x multipliers,but IQ (esp.small details,tonality) always let me down.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

Could you post an example of when an MFT camera has let you down?

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:18 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

Peire, have you used the more recent 16MP m4/3 bodies? There was a rather huge jump from the old m4/3 sensor to the newer ones, and another step, primarily in DR in this latest generation.

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:04 PM
A.Y.
• • •
p.3 #8 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

Easiest decision for me since 1080 60p is critically important and 1080 60i is just not acceptable!

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:29 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

sebboh wrote:

Indeed I was, I also prefer IBIS to OSS for exactly that reason. Of course like sebboh, I am not exactly over-equipped with native lenses (ZA 24 only in my case), preferring to shoot adapted lenses better suited to my tastes than Sony's offerings.

My experience is different there, I've found a hard floor at 1/8-1/6 where IS in general quits offering any advantages. I can get usable, even sharp shots at those speeds with and without IS. Given that 135mm equivalent is my general limit in lens length and I'm a lot more likely to be shooting in the 35-75mm-e range then IS only really has a small window of advantage for me, especially since I'm doing significantly less low-light shooting.

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:31 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password