New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

Kris Reiswig
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

Has anyone used this software with the 6D? I have not been able to get it to do an automatic calculation. Have used 2 different windows computers and it stops after about 30 test shots. Just trying to see if anyone is using this product sucessfully with the 6D - I know it is working with other cameras.

Edited on Feb 09, 2013 at 08:23 PM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

is there anyone else that owns a 6D having the same issue here?

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:50 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

Does it support the 6D? It's a new body

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

I have tried both the 1.7 version and the 1.8 beta and am not able to get the auto configuration to work. I figure I've wasted about 400 shutter clicks trying it on several lenses. I am waiting to hear from support and will keep you posted. I'm very curious to be able to set up my zooms with this program. I initially bought this program after verifying that the Canon 6D was on the list.

Edited on Feb 07, 2013 at 10:41 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

actually it says on his site it does:
http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/why/requirements/

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

I've been waiting for days for contact from their support. Nothing..... So bummed.....

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

They are slow on support. I got my support here. Just did a 5d-mkIII with three lenses. Took some time to get target aquisition and a few other tricky things.

I had one lens hunt around a lot and never reach calibration until I put in a new battery and figured out how to turn off spot focus.

Target alignment is difficult to get the green check, but then it seem to run (all but the one lens).

It sounds like it is finding your camera if you have that many clicks. Mine would never get past 2 shots until I got a proper license.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

Have you registered your new camera? So it's licensed to be used with the software

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:30 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

I am guessing its set up. I could not get more than 2 shots without a properly licensed camera.

30 shots without results is something I got on my 35mm on my 16-35. It kept hunting around. As I said, I turned off spot focus, installed a new battery and it worked. It still took longer than my other lenses. This is probably the lest sharp area of my least sharp lens.

I would work on target alignment and light, check all camera settings that the software warns about and try again. Also look at some of the software settings.

This is an impressive program. It has to control internal camera settings, probably with no help from the camera manufacturers. They are supporting recently released cameras with new features not envisioned by Focal. That's a tough job.

I can micro adjust easy enough, but not to this precision. But the af repeatability test and the sharpest aperture test alone is worth the price. Both of these tests confirm what I long suspected. They provide the degree of confidence you have in any particular gear.

I can concentrate on shooting my 24-70 which is very repeatable but my 16-35 will need some fussing and back up shots.

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

I have solved the problem. I'll do a more detailed post on it after I have spoken with support.

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

More testing. I did my 1DS-mk3 today. It would not aquire the target at EV6.3, so I boosted it to 10.2 and it worked.

On another occasion, it would not do anything with the target and was really slow in response. Looked at the battery and it was 1/2. Put in a fresh battery and all was fine.

One series of tests take a while to run, the camera turned itself off. Restarted and all was fine.

All done now, just need to digest all the reports. My old test numbers were pretty close to the Focal numbers. I do see in the aperture test on the 200mm which goes to f32 that best aperture is unnaturally fast. like f3.2. I suspected shake so I bumped iso to 400 and the best aperture moved up above f5. Need to look more closely at that.

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:33 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

Kris Reiswig wrote:
I have solved the problem. I'll do a more detailed post on it after I have spoken with support.

and what was the "fix"??

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

The fix.....it is a conflict with the camera shutter button setting. The first thing I do when I purchase a new camera is to shut off the focus on the shutter button and only have the back OF-ON button do focus. This appears to have been an oversight at FoCal. It allowed the test to run without an error message to change that setting. Walla, when I changed the shutter button setting back to the normal configuration, the product works exactly as expected.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

excellent. that'll teach ya

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:27 PM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

Here is an update from the FoCal blog. Just thought I'd post it, as more people by 6Ds and are looking for a calibration system. It really is super great to be able to calibrate your zoom lenses with two points now in the 6D. This software makes that process go much quicker. They know there are problems with the 6D and are working on a solution. http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/2013/02/focal-and-canon-6d-support-update/

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

enjoy

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FoCal Software and Canon 6D - problem fixed

There are nearly always problems with the FoCal software. I would say it's still a Beta testing software. When it works it's great. For Canon 1DX or 5D3 owners they can't do the automatic calibration. I did calibrate 5 lenses yesterday. 1 hour and 40 minutes. And I had to do manual changes in my 1DX meny about 250 times when doing that calibration

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.