Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikkor Ai conversion - DIY

Thomaspin

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikkor Ai conversion - DIY

Here.

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:09 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikkor Ai conversion - DIY

I'm a huge fan of older Nikkor lenses, including the pre-AI lenses with scalloped focusing rings that were made out of metal. I'm less a fan of lenses that have had their aperture ring chopped and thus far have been able to locate the lenses I want that were previously converted using AI conversion kits available from Nikon at one time for accomplishing the task. I'm aware, however, that few of those kits remain and that lenses converted with the kit are becoming more rare and more expensive. Personally, I won't be chopping aperture rings, in part because I prefer aesthetically the look of the lens converted with the kit. But I know this is a viable alternative and it is wonderful to have this resource available for those inclined to tackle this task. Thanks for posting it.

For those not adept at such tasks, there are a few alternatives. Here is one I came across on E-Bay. Judging from the photos he includes, it appears he does an excellent job, right down to adding a smaller row of aperture numbers that mimic what is found with the AI conversion kit. Unfortunately, some folks doing these conversions use paper strips with numbers that to my mind diminish the look of the lens. The E-Bay tech charges $38 for the conversion plus $8.75 for expedited return shipping. You might want to check him out.

AI Modification/Conversion of Nikon Nikkor Classic Lenses

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:49 PM
pburke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikkor Ai conversion - DIY

I had two lenses AI'd by John White. He does great work, fast turnaround - knows what he's doing, and $25 per standard conversion can't be beat.

http://www.aiconversions.com/

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password