Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Do you do movies?

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you do movies?

For those who are old enough, we used to make movies with films, super 8, each film give you 6 minutes of viewing. I did quite a bit for a while both for family and travelling. But then i noticed, we hardly ever take them out of the box.
But if I get a great picture, it would be printed and framed and displayed.
So in the last 20 years and in the last 8 digital years, i never think about doing it, I do know my cameras have the capacity of making wonderfull footage.
My two new nikon D4 and D800e both can do movies, but i never touch it .
What about you guys/girls? do you do movies. If you do, do you watch it?

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Hammy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you do movies?

Same here...the media format for prints vs video is obviously easier for us here on a photo forum

But I think that is changing. Prints are prints and have been prints since they've been prints. The only difference is the process of getting them in the frame.
To view a video was getting out the projector, darken the room, pull up a screen, etc... But now, with digital videos, they can be played back on phones, tablets, computers, TVs, etc... We can even take decent videos with our phones!

So with the much easier, more prevelant display options, I think video will again have a place for more and more people. I hate to think that we're not capturing life moments on video because we think we won't/can't view them!

Of course for the discerning individuals that most of us are when it comes to our finely edited photo of perfection, our hand shaken, slightly tilted, partially OOF videos aren't up to snuff to put on our plasma TV for family viewing - so then it comes down to technique, a little more high end gear and alot of hours on Lynda learning how to edit videos!

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you do movies?

I took a professional DSLR video workshop last fall to help me get prepared in case a customer wants a video. It's a completely different mindset, but pretty interesting, nonetheless. I should probably actually do some videos, just to see if I actually understood what they said at the workshop. Of course, then I'll want some decent editing software...

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you do movies?

not with my DSLR. but yes with a more appropriate tool.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you do movies?

I got into m4/3 especially for video. I thought I was going to be using the acquisitions for higher level productions than I have so far. But yeah, I often grab interesting clips of this or that and watch or post them afterwards. I guess there's an average of 7min. of video for every 8GB of still images (RAW) I've taken. Something like that.

For me it's mostly only a hobby though. If I were actively promoting a business, video would probably be half or more of the agenda - I guess more.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:28 AM
LeTiger

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you do movies?

I bought a Panasonic GH3 specifically for video. I now shoot about 80% video, and 20% photos for commercial work.

Now I have a small, lightweight easy to use camera that can excel at both! (Moved from a Canon 7D system, which was pitifully mushy, and had a 12minute maximum clip length which was a total buzzkill for interviews)

Example Of Integated Media Client

I shot the frontpage left-side image on the GH3 a couple of days ago, and all of the videos on their site were shot on my 7D, so, yes, I do shoot video with my camera

Some quick footage from just messing around with the GH3 (second part was shot on a GoPro3) (Warning, mildly NSFW language, 1 F-Word in very beginning)
http://youtu.be/npdin07kf3o
Best viewed at 1080 resolution.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:06 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password