Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 70-200 VR1 stopped down on FX?

loudtiger
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 70-200 VR1 stopped down on FX?

Hi,

I used to have the 70-200 VR 1 when shooting on my D300. I'm thinking of buying the lens again for use on my D800, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with it stopped down (F8-11) at infinity, for landscape purposes. I'm aware of the vignetting and poor corners, so I was wondering if those issues clear up for this use case.

Thanks!

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:22 AM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 70-200 VR1 stopped down on FX?

Stopping down does not solve the corner-sharpness issue. Unfortunately, landscape photography at the long end of the zoom range seems to be exactly the VR1's weakness.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:31 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 70-200 VR1 stopped down on FX?

It seems you are a prime candidate for the new 70-200 f4. Better corners and lighter for landscaping where 2.8 is not needed.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:46 AM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 70-200 VR1 stopped down on FX?

I asked a relevant question a few days ago and I got very helpful responses, so I hope this helps:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187707

As far as I researched, it seems that the VRI will work perfectly with FX as long as it's for subject isolation purposes rather than landscape edge to edge sharpness which the VRII and the F/4 excel at. However, I very well could be mistaken

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:19 AM
bemyzeke
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 70-200 VR1 stopped down on FX?

Extreme corners are soft at pretty much any aperture. At least on my copy. However this is only extreme corners, most of the rest of the frame is great. For me, it is rare that I have extreme corners in focus. So it does not bother me, but for someone who can have extreme corners in focus, this lens may not work.

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:54 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.