Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How can you photograph the inside of a lens?

Mykal
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · How can you photograph the inside of a lens?

I would like to show a potential buyer how the inside of a lens looks (dust particles). Is there a particular technique I can use?

Feb 06, 2013 at 12:55 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #2 · How can you photograph the inside of a lens?

A macro lens and manual focus will let you focus on the level you want to show. For dust, lighting is the real issue. I find the best lighting varies (probably depends on how reflective the dust particles are, their size, location in the lens, etc.)

As a general thought I've found dust close to the front or rear element usually shows up better by reflection - light shined in at a 20 degree angle or so. For deep dust transmission shining through the lens may show it more.

Either way, make sure you have the most diffused light possible - otherwise you'll see more glare and reflections from the light than dust. I've had a buyer claim I carefully positioned a light glare to hide the worst dust area (like I have that much time on my hands).

All that being said, trying to demonstrate dust for a potential buyer is a tough thing. Lit properly and with a little luck your photo will show far more dust than the buyer will probably see just looking at it. It's just as likely they'll think your photo didn't show how bad the dust was.

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:01 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · How can you photograph the inside of a lens?

+1 on what Roger said.
I've had brand new out of the box Nikkors that looked awful when a super bright LED flashlight is shined through them, though by eye with normal illumination they look fine.

How much is significant dust is a relative thing. It can be shown to look horrible, though in practice it won't affect performance. Isolated specs are fine, but a coating of fine dust is not good.

Here's a thread I started some time ago:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/34531899

Only one of these lenses needed to have the dust cleaned out - all the others have taken fantastic images.

John

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:16 PM
wellsjt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · How can you photograph the inside of a lens?

Mykal, did a potential owner ask specifically, or are you thinking of just doing this as part of a listing? If the latter, are you sure you want to go there? As the above two posts articulate, you could be showing the lens to be worse than it really is, or even have a buyer claim that you hid stuff. Maybe best to sell the lens with the typical descriptions and photos and skip the dust photos?

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #5 · How can you photograph the inside of a lens?

Thanks for your replies. Given me a lot to think about and I believe that welsjt is right so I won't bother with the photos.

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password