Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Explain this to me - LV on D700...

Dustin Gent
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Explain this to me - LV on D700...

Ok, so forgive my ignorance I haven't messed with LiveView much before - so unsure if this is normal.

So I just got my Samyang 14mm 2.8 yesterday - and happened to be able to use it today! So while I was out shooting, I wanted to mess around with LiveView. So I put it into LV and ofcourse nothing happens. I found out I needed to change the Aperture Ring setting (or whatever) in the menus.

With that done, live view works, but this is where it gets interesting. So I get the FEe error message when I have the lens set to anything other than f/22. I can see that while in Live View I can "change" the aperture in there, but this is a manual focus lens and the aperture is manually changed.

So how can the aperture show it is being closed down, when in fact it is still at f/22? I didn;t figure this out until I got home a bit ago. Any help/comments would be appreciated. Again, LV isn't critical for any of my shooting, but I want to figure out why this is doing this.

And yes, I set a profile for the lens, since it is MF...

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:48 AM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #2 · Explain this to me - LV on D700...

Dustin, I am not entirely sure what exactly is causing your problem but have a few thoughts. Apologies if i'm 'preaching to the choir'.

Is your lens 'chipped' (has electrical contacts) or non-chipped?
If it is chipped then you don't need to create a 'Non-CPU' lens profile. The Non-CPU lens profile is only needed to get full metering capability on a 'non-chipped' lens.

Since the lens has an aperture ring you have two ways you can control the aperture. Custom function f9 lets you choose whether the aperture is controlled by the bodies' command wheel or controlled by the aperture ring on the lens. If you control the aperture by the camera body then the lens aperture ring must be set to the minimum aperture.

I hope that helps a little...

-Bryan

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Explain this to me - LV on D700...

AH, that may be the remedy as worded like that, it makes sense. The lens is the chipped version btw. Thanks for the advice!

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:54 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password