Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2013 · Silent Stargazers

jimbob
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Silent Stargazers

Hello Steve Perry,
As others have said before me....Fantastic work. I have checked out Sylvania OH. You are only 4.5 hours west of me along the highway. The light pollution around Toledo OH. must be the same as we get here in my area in Ontario.
I am on the flight path to the airport in Toronto so it is impossible to try to eliminate the jet trails.
It wont be too long 'til the birds will be returning to Lake Erie then we can fire up our long glass again.
Regards
Jim

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Silent Stargazers

Thanks again to everyone for the nice comments

@Jim - Wow, small world huh? Yeah, light pollution around here makes it nearly impossible to get anything good - but not much in the way of cool foregrounds anyway. Looking forward to wildlife, but my 500 is in the shop for a squeezing AF-S motor. Should be better than new when it comes back though

Feb 14, 2013 at 04:01 PM
GregMcLardie

p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Silent Stargazers

Stunning! how i wish i could shot that kind of picture you've got here.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Ylwstonegirl
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Silent Stargazers

Spectacular shot! I'd say you were successful.

Kristine

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Silent Stargazers

I can't remember if I commented on this or not, but this is stunning! This is the look I am going for but I have zero clue how to combine the exposures for the sunset colors and the stars. I'd really appreciate any tips if anyone wants to send me some.

Feb 16, 2013 at 06:21 PM
steeleumc

p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Silent Stargazers

This is an incredible photograph; inspiring, haunting but not frightening and with an other-world feel. Can't say enough nice words about it except thank you for going to the trouble of taking it and for sharing it with us. Wow, just so awesome.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Silent Stargazers

Thanks again for all the positive comments and feedback I can't wait to get out and give it another go - I have a few shots already planned, now just need to time to get there and do 'em.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM
robert61
• •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Silent Stargazers

Great capture! So in doing something like this, have you pieced together two different shots, one forground and one sky? I've never used a star tracking device, but if you were tracking stars for time exposure (for their movement), then I'm assuming you have to do another exposure of the forground elements without star tracking so they aren't blurred. Is this the technique here, two exposures blended together in post?

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Silent Stargazers

robert61 wrote:
Great capture! So in doing something like this, have you pieced together two different shots, one forground and one sky? I've never used a star tracking device, but if you were tracking stars for time exposure (for their movement), then I'm assuming you have to do another exposure of the forground elements without star tracking so they aren't blurred. Is this the technique here, two exposures blended together in post?

Yes, that's the way I did it. The first is a twilight / moonlight shot, then the stars from the same angle later on.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Silent Stargazers

Wow Steve - well done!

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Volker Birke

p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Silent Stargazers

Very beautiful.
Cheers
Volker

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM
techboy96

p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Silent Stargazers

Great shot...but 4 min exposure @1600 ISO? how is this not a black image?

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:21 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Silent Stargazers

Wonderful!

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Doug D.
• •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Silent Stargazers

Steve - I want to add my own praise for a great capture. As someone who also owns an Astrotrac I can only sat that I wish my efforts (especially in the early part of my learning curve) even approached something this spectacular. You've shared lots of good info in this thread as well, so thank you much!

Fantastic.

Doug

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:32 PM
mal233
• •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Silent Stargazers

Wow. what a great shot. if that's your first can't wait to see others. One thing that caught my attention is that the canyon in the lower part is so bright on my screen that it doesn't quite correlate with the star brightness. It may be just my inexperience in doing / looking at star shots, but my brain keep going to that issue. was the canyon shot done at the same time?

Mostly curious because it's a great shot. good work!!

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM
mrbernie

p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Silent Stargazers

Awesome! Perfect blend of sky and foreground - what a scene!

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Silent Stargazers

Thanks agin for all the nice comments. Fred had me write up an article about the astro trac and my experiences with it if anyone wants more info:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/astrotrac/

@mal223 - with the tracking device, you have to do two exposures. The canyon was shot by a dark mix of twilight and moonlight then blended with the stars. I messed around with the foreground quite a bit and kind of came to a balance with the luminosity in the image I posted. I did try both darker and lighter, but I liked the way this compromise looked. But hey, you never know, I may change my mind one day

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:09 AM
mal233
• •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Silent Stargazers

Thanks Steve. Wonderful imagination, just goes to prove it's the photographer not the camera. Great job.

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:20 AM
John Talmage

p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Silent Stargazers

From down South-- We have very poor seeing as a rule and don't have the low temps. You did a spectacular job of using all of your resources to produce a magnificent shot.

Feb 26, 2013 at 04:13 AM
pestrada

p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Silent Stargazers

Beautiful image! Tough to work at -20* temperatures, but it paid off

Feb 26, 2013 at 04:28 AM
       6       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register