Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Silent Stargazers

Fantastic Image !!!

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:02 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Silent Stargazers

Thanks again for all the feedback on this image, I really appreciate it!

@firstgear99 - Yup, from the ridge just off the trail.

@aekn -

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM
DejanS
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Silent Stargazers

Steve, Stunning!

Dejan

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:07 PM
Razor17
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Silent Stargazers

Well done Steve, outstanding capture...

Lynn

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:25 PM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Silent Stargazers

That's a magnificent shot!

Feb 10, 2013 at 06:53 PM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Silent Stargazers

- BEAUTIFUL SHOT -

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:11 PM
MJFimages

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Silent Stargazers

Great shot! And a superb first attempt! Been playing around with these types of images for awhile now, and have the Vixen Polarie. Sounds like your tracking unit involves a similar setup, though it looks to be much more heavy duty. Never liked trails much, and I find it's challenging to get a realistic result without having too much black in the frame. I think it's challenging to get a result that looks natural to me, but impossible to get a result that looks realistic to all viewers. In fact, despite others liking them very much, images like this that I've gotten (with as many stars as you'd see in a binocular view spread out across the frame) are often just too star-crowded. The Milky Way definitely helps here, and the foreground is perfect. Not sure why you'd say "fighting" the crescent moon, since that provides the very important illumination for your foreground, unless I'm wrong there. You certainly got plenty of stars. I definitely prefer in shots similar to this to shoot with a partial moon unless I have a bright Milky Way and maybe a large body of water reflecting it. I usually try to shoot at no greater than ISO 400, but sometimes I don't get enough stars. I sometimes mess up and expose too far to the left (which sorta negates the point of using lower ISO). I'm assuming you exposed a bit to the right of where you wanted to end up, so that's great for noise. Good luck! Sorry for the long comment, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your starscapes.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:31 PM
DougDolde
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Silent Stargazers

Wow amazing !

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:49 PM
LandPirate
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Silent Stargazers

This is an amazing pic.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Silent Stargazers

Thanks again for all the nice comments

@MJF - Yeah, I can see how it's possible to get too many stars, and this was pulled back a bit. You're right - it was exposed to the right and pulling it back really helped with the noise. The crescent moon was useful for the twilight / moonlight shot of the foreground, but based on tests earlier in the month without the moon I think it didn't do me any favors trying to pick up the Milky Way. Still learning and can't wait to get back out next time!

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:39 PM
ardvorak
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Silent Stargazers

Beautiful.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:08 PM
sundevilstorm
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Silent Stargazers

I think I may have to dust off my Meade AutoStar Goto mount that I fabbed up for just this kind of thing.

http://store.meade.com/coronado/coronado-accessories/meade-ds-2000-series-mount-with-autostar-goto.html

oh yeah - AWESOMENESS!!

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Silent Stargazers

Really impressive. I'm loving that open channel in the foreground that leads the eye into the scene. Very well done!

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:10 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Silent Stargazers

Outstanding work!

Dave

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:21 AM
kenstewart

p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Silent Stargazers

Boy oh boy, such an amazing shot. I am tempted to get that tracking machinery. A great work of art - the star exposure and the foreground exposure. Hats off to you!

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:52 AM
voltaire
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Silent Stargazers

This is an amazing photo, Steve! Excellent composition. I can't wait to see your images in the summer when the denser part of the Milky Way is more visible in our part of the world. I picked up a Vixen Polarie and have yet to properly use it. The scope just arrived yesterday.

Thanks for sharing!

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:29 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Silent Stargazers

I think this is a TOTALLY AWESOME photo! One of the best I have seen in a long while!

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Silent Stargazers

Thanks again for all the nice comments.

@voltarire - I'm really excited about summer. I was a little bummed after I got the tracker to learn the Milky Way isn't at its best this time of year. I am really looking forward to what can be captured in summer!

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:13 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Silent Stargazers

That's a spectacular shot. Worth a bit of a chill.

Too much light pollution here for that kind of thing.

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:44 AM
poshpix

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Silent Stargazers

Totally impressive. Quite surprised to find out that the AstroTrac TT320X AG Tracking Mount comes from Bristol England (about 15 miles from where I'm sitting!). I may raid my piggy bank sometime soon! Thanks for the very helpful information.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.