Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it ba...

morten.t

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

Hello out there.

Short version:
My Nikon D80 writes "ERR", what should I do?

Long version:
I stand with a Nikon D80 which has started to tease .. I've got "ERR" error message in the top display, then I could not take pictures. The mirror moves normally when pressed the trigger, but there is no auto-focus or AF-assist light - no image stored on the card and no way of opening the flash - some menu options, such as ISO is not available. I have a feeling that it is the shutter there is anything wrong with that, and I have filmed this little hi-speed film to showcase why my suspicions (but without knowing much about camera mechanics). http://youtu.be/UGV_hpX5RVk

I have tried me with the advice being given around the web, such as, remove the battery and card out and put it back - clean the contacts between the lens and the camara - updated firmware'ren 1.1 to 1.11, and other small things that I can not really remember.

The camara is simplicity too old to use 2000 - 3000 thousand danish currency on a workshop visit, and if its finally something mechanics that are broken - can I get a new one of the broken part home and change it myself?

Believe me .. I really hope some of you hold the solution to my problem

Best greetings
Morten T.

P.S. it must be said that the attached picture is the SD card and lens removed. So the message No card is not wrong.

http://postimage.org/image/475sqd84l/

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:21 AM
James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

You have tried most of the normal tricks to get it operating. So,...

I'm wondering if your shutter is shot? I believe Nikon rates the D80 at 50K actuations. Given the D80 is 7 yrs old, it would be a death blow to your camera IMO. In this case, I would buy a newer used camera and expand your photography horizon a bit.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Edited on Feb 06, 2013 at 07:46 AM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:38 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

Replace it with a D90

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:22 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

actually better yet with a D7000

there comes a time where you reach the point of diminishing returns and I think you know you are there.

Feb 06, 2013 at 12:34 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

The D80 was a relatively cheap camera. The one I bought only lasted 20,000+ frames and then the sensor died. According to Nikon it was beyond economic repair. It is time to move on.

EBH

Feb 06, 2013 at 12:45 PM
morten.t

p.1 #6 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

I am not yet willing to discard it - if it can be done without great cost. I was just pressed the trigger of 5 - 6 times the shutter in desperation, then it disappeared. BUT after a single image began on the ERR again .. trigger must be pressed by between 5 to 10 times FAST, can I be allowed to take a single image .. What can this mean? shutter should be cleaned?

Edited on Feb 06, 2013 at 03:08 PM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:49 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

Maybe the internal battery died. Just a wild guess.

I'm like others, look at it as an upgrade opportunity. Don't even buy new. Buy a nice used D300, D90, or D7000, or even D5100.

They are better. These are not film cameras, they are computers and have improved just like generations of computers have.

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

morten.t wrote:
I am not yet willing to discard it - if it can be done without great cost. I was just pressed the trigger of 5 - 6 times the shutter in desperation, then it disappeared. BUT after a single image began on the ERR again .. trigger must be pressed by between 5 to 10 times FAST, can I be allowed to take a single image .. What can this mean? shutter should be cleaned?

in the Nikon momenclature it generally means: other type of failure not described.

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

morten.t

p.1 #9 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i49P91sAixY

Could the thing he does in the end of the video - maybe help me?

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:24 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

morten.t wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i49P91sAixY

Could the thing he does in the end of the video - maybe help me?

If you think you can take it apart, make the adjustment and put it back together again, then give it a try. What do you have to loose. Your question on "Could the thing in the end....help e?" Only if that is the problem and nobody knows.

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:53 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #11 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

At first I thought you had a typo missing a "0". But then I remembered the good old D70/D80 days. Hahah... well perhaps it is time for you move on.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:04 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

I wouldn't hold out too much hope. If you can do a DIY-fix you're in good shape, but that video had me sweating and wondering how many damn screws were in a single camera.

As soon as a paid professional touches that camera you're in for more than it is worth.

The cool thing about a D90 is all your accessories should work (assuming you have the newer-style batteries).

If you have a few extra bucks, the D7000 is a great camera (though I chose to go with a D300s instead - pretty much the same price as a D7K, but with essentially the D90 sensor and pro build/handling).

Best of luck!

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:54 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

there we differ. I feel the D7K offers more for the money then the D300s by a long shot.
like you said "a D90 imager in a somewhat pro body" but even then not quite. the D7k offers more then both.

just to begin with:
greater color depth
greater dynamic range
lower light capability
copy/paste for results on all 3
more data to back it up in measurements
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/680%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/614%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon/(appareil3)/439%7C0/(brand3)/Nikon

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:42 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

runamuck wrote:
Replace it with a D90

+1

The D90 is a much better machine

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:53 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

sjms wrote:
there we differ. I feel the D7K offers more for the money then the D300s by a long shot.
like you said "a D90 imager in a somewhat pro body" but even then not quite. the D7k offers more then both.

just to begin with:
greater color depth
greater dynamic range
lower light capability
copy/paste for results on all 3
more data to back it up in measurements
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/680%7C0/(brand)/Nikon/(appareil2)/614%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon/(appareil3)/439%7C0/(brand3)/Nikon

(Apologies to the OP for the divergence from the core topic of this thread}

Steve - I hope you know how much I respect your opinions, but I'm a little surprised to see you take that position. I'm well aware of the performance of the D7000 sensor, and I know it is a terrific camera in the hands of many.

I could have had either one, but the reason I chose the D300s over the D7000 was handling. The push-and-hold-a-button-and-spin-a-wheel handling of the D90/D7000 cost me far more shots than the sensor ever did. I am so much more comfortable with my D300s - I can adjust it on the fly virtually without looking at it, and that is exactly what I wanted. It is liberating. Guys like you and Tim are either talented enough or wired in a way (or both ) that gives you the ability to be comfortable with anything in your hands. If the handling doesn't get in your way, you get the full benefit of the sensor.

If they had the D7K or D5200 sensor in a D300s body/handling (and not the slight backward-step that is the D800) I'm in. More is always better, but I don't feel lacking at this point for ISO/DR/etc. If I ever do, it is more likely I'll wind up with a D700 or D3s than a D800 or a D400 if they follow the D800 handling path (which I consider likely).

At the end of the day, the D300s is performing far better for me than my D90 or D70 did, and it has everything to do with handling (though the better AF system doesn't hurt, either). A D7K wouldn't have fixed that for me - specs are only part of the story.

/threadjack

OP - D90's are a flat-out bargain for what they are selling for these days. If you've liked you D80, you'll love a D90. Please don't take my comments above as negative vs. the D90 (or D7000). Handling is a matter of preference, and I just prefer the D300s design.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:24 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · My Nikon D80 is apparently dead... How will i bring it back to life?

push a button spin a wheel. I guess i'm missing something here?
Ok i'l bite. what are you talking about?

I seemed to adapt fairly quickly to this unfathomable paradigm you found. so quick I didn't even notice. I easily go back and forth between the D4 and the D7K w/o issue.

you're right specs aren't everything. they do tell a big story from a technical and capability point of view. and in reality the D7K is a more capable camera in the right hands.

adaptability is a very important skill. I guess you are correct put a tool in my hand and i'll make it work to my advantage.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:46 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password