canon 5d II 50mm f2.8 1/125sec ISO 640

© Alpi07 2013

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:16 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · winter

What is your goal in the composition?
Are there specific elements of critique you are looking for?
Scott

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:22 PM
Alpi07

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · winter

I was just trying to show the space actually.
That would be sea, and the trees are actually islands.
I was wondering how a picture like this could work. I actually tried to have the person closer to me but the beloved autofocus of the 5dII it took a while before responding and the person is probably too small.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:29 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · winter

I think you have to choose: expanse of the sky or expanse of the sea. The sky has little detail and there is more potential interest in the snow covered sea (?).
The person is necessary for sense of scale but, as you have said just too small in the image. Unfortunately the tracks in the snow do not have a particular pattern to engage the viewer
Just not enough to work with here. Better with some leading lines, some foreground interest, only a bit of sky.

Scott

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Alpi07

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · winter

Thank you! That was what I was looking for

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · winter

+1 @ Scott ... kinda challenging to work with from here.

Took a stab at it ... still kinda, hmmm for me atm, but you get the gist of where I was going with it.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:26 PM
Alpi07

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · winter

hem... atm? :?

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · winter

hmmm = unsure
atm = at the moment

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Alpi07

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · winter

thank you!

Feb 06, 2013 at 07:10 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · winter

Here's one thing you might wan to watch for. Notice how the head of the figure just touches the horizon line? I think it would have been more effective to have the person closer, so that there was clear delineation between the top of their head and the horizon.

It is a pleasant, calm photograph. I like Kent's crop and PP. I might have softened the contrast in the foreground a smidge so as not to attract as much attention to it.

Feb 06, 2013 at 08:28 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · winter

Thanks Doug ... that was part the "hmmmm" for me @ too much pull to the FG, particularly the center. Mine seems to be on the edge of having a TS vibe to the transition between areas (i.e. a bit too rapid).

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Alpi07

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · winter

I will try again, another day, and I will try to find a better way to show proportion (starting with a closer person).

I see pink is not working, will go for natural wb (or some glitter just to make it more extreme )

Thanks everyone!

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:35 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · winter

The story I see here is how insignificant man is vs. the severe winter environment and it delivers it well.

Figure is far and small so it is difficult to see via face if it is coming or going. That's where how the horizon is placed in the frame provides a clue. Since there is more sky than foreground my impression is he's going away towards the horizon. With less sky and more foreground I'd assume the opposite Put it in the center and he's neither coming or going if you can't see which way the person is facing.

For a shot where the face is clearly seen approaching the clue provided by the background is less important because the focal point shifts to the face and it will be automatically assume to be walking towards. The main consideration then would not cutting the body in half with the horizon.

Feb 06, 2013 at 08:16 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.