New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I did mine using FoCal and found one thing yesterday. My 17TSE was set for 10 but I did not micro adjust it. I did some manual testing and zero is best.

So today I read this and mounted all my lenses and found 2 errors. I have the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200. The 35 setting was 13 and should have been 7. The 70-200 at 70 should have been 3 but was 7. The rest were ok.

I plan to carry my results with me.

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:57 PM
Access
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I had this happen after a firmware update. Hasn't happened since.

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:05 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

ben egbert wrote:
I did mine using FoCal and found one thing yesterday. My 17TSE was set for 10 but I did not micro adjust it. I did some manual testing and zero is best.

So today I read this and mounted all my lenses and found 2 errors. I have the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200. The 35 setting was 13 and should have been 7. The 70-200 at 70 should have been 3 but was 7. The rest were ok.

I plan to carry my results with me.

yup. weird stuff. I found once I manually set them for the first time, they stayed ok - so far. Mounted for the first time I had odd default settings that should have been zero.

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:09 PM
WesN
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

Well I just checked my 5D3, and it had the "All by same amount" at -8. Dang.

And like a fool, I hit the "Clear all" button instead of adjusting the "All by same amount" back to zero. So now I've wiped out all my MA adjustment values. Note to self - don't do this kind of thing when you're in a rush and stressed.

So without knowing what causes this it is going to a pain to check this constantly, as well as a major pain to re-MA all my lenses. Double ugh.

Wes N.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I saved all the tests then made a spreadsheet to summarize the info. Of course I did that when I did MA on my own. Not much good to you now, but maybe next time. I like reading the reports because they have other info like the confidence level of the test.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I still haven't found any Canon lenses that have needed any MA adjustments... a refreshing change after using Nikon gear for the past 8 months.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM
dadgummit
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I got my 5d3 the month it was released and I never updated the firmware. I have never had this problem. I wonder if other people have noticed the same thing, meaning the 5d3's with the oldest firmware?

I was not planning on updating it until they come out with the fix for the slow focus with the AF assist beam with speedlights that is due out in April or May. I am now wondering if I should bother.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM
clarence3
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

molson wrote:
I still haven't found any Canon lenses that have needed any MA adjustments

Wow. I've done MA tests on over 20 lenses on 4 camera bodies (plus additional permutations when adding 1.4x and 2x TCs) and have yet to find one that didn't need microadjustment. I keep thinking that pure random luck will eventually yield a "0" test result. But I've also never had one at either extreme of the adjustment range (+20 or -20).

I shoot wide open aperture 90% of the time, so it's very obvious when the MA setting hasn't been properly done.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

clarence3 wrote:
Wow. I've done MA tests on over 20 lenses on 4 camera bodies (plus additional permutations when adding 1.4x and 2x TCs) and have yet to find one that didn't need microadjustment. I keep thinking that pure random luck will eventually yield a "0" test result. But I've also never had one at either extreme of the adjustment range (+20 or -20).

I shoot wide open aperture 90% of the time, so it's very obvious when the MA setting hasn't been properly done.

+1. Before MA and starting with a 10D, then 20d and 5d, I was getting my lens/cameras calibrated at Canon and when adjusted within tolerance, they always front focused. I have never had any AF lens that did not require some adjustment. Even my WA lenses when stopped down benefited with MA. My 35L required +12 or else infinity would be soft.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:34 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

clarence3 wrote:
Wow. I've done MA tests on over 20 lenses on 4 camera bodies (plus additional permutations when adding 1.4x and 2x TCs) and have yet to find one that didn't need microadjustment.

I've tested a lot more than that...

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:33 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I agree with Clarence, even though I don't often shoot wide open. I've tested lenses on a number of bodies, and except for very rare exceptions, all lenses needed some adjustment. Seems that every body has a slightly different adjustment bias. One might average +2, another -5. One body needs almost no MA and has a few lenses that run at zero, but even there, there are differences even among the wide angle lenses with smaller minimum apertures. I have near 20 lenses and 3 MA capable bodies, so it is not a chore I enjoy!

So, the law of averages says that you are not noticing the need for MA (even minute adjustments), not that the lenses/bodies don't need adjustment!

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:57 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I'm glad in a way it isn't just me that's having the issue, it gives me a bit more confidence when I talk to Canon about it.

One odd thing (or maybe not) I re-did all my 5D3 MA's and did my 5D2 again at the same time and the settings were the same on both cameras (almost exactly)

It seems it's the lens not the camera that is out, not both, maybe that's well known, but I didn't know it.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:32 AM
petefromzim

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

Just for the record - my 5d3 did the -8 trick this weekend although it retained the "adjust by lens" settings. I've had my camera since the release month last year.

It may be coincidence that I had done the DotTune MFA just the previous day, overiding my previous settings using a different method.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

Canon UK are now investigating my problem and seem to actually be taking it seriously.

It's probably just a software issue fixable in the next FW, I hope, but it is there!

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Access
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I've seen this before, once, after a lockup caused by attempting to update the firmware on the 40mm f/2.8 lens.

If they know and are investigating it, that's cool though. Hopefully it's fixed soon. There's enough people out there that this can't be a phantom error.

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:40 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

Access wrote:
I've seen this before, once, after a lockup caused by attempting to update the firmware on the 40mm f/2.8 lens.

If they know and are investigating it, that's cool though. Hopefully it's fixed soon. There's enough people out there that this can't be a phantom error.

Yes it took me a bit of time and some emailing before they realised it wasn't just user error but I pointed them to this thread as well (and there are others out there)

It's not like it's a huge issue but it does need sorting - at least it should BE solvable relatively easily

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:48 PM
Philip Mc
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

Mine too, I noticed my 50L was less than sharp over the last week or so then I remembered reading this thread......when I checked adjust all was set to -8....rare!

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:05 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

Had this happen to mine at the beginning of a wedding, pictures were so off, i noticed because they looked OOF in the viewfinder. Looked that the MFA and it was set to -7, where as it was 'supposed' to be about +2

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:22 PM
gregger2k

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

Mine too..
I just checked my one month old 5DIII and it was set to "All by same amount -8"..
And i have never done any MAing I will sure be checking this more in the future!

Mar 02, 2013 at 12:52 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

Do please contact Canon about this, if enough of us complain we just might get them to admit the issue

Mar 02, 2013 at 02:44 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.