New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I spent several hours MA'ing my most used lenses last week and today the camera had reset them all to 0 and decided that all lenses should be on -8.

Just a heads up to anyone going on a critical shoot, 5DIII's do this, I have now read of several on different sites.

I assume this will be fixed in a firmware release, I certainly hope so.

If there is a forum thread about this I will just add to it but I did a search and didn't find one.

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:58 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I read about this issue here in this group on FM several weeks ago. It was mentioned in a discussion thread about something else.

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:56 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I put my 24-70 on the 5DIII for the first time this weekend. I noted in the first several pics that the mfa was varying relative to focal length. The mfa numbers looked oddly similar to my mfa settings for the 70-200mm f4 and/or my 50mm 1.8. I looked on the mfa menu and it showed zero for both focal lengths. I manually reset the mfa to zero. After that, all my pics were zero mfa.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:11 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

dgdg wrote:
I put my 24-70 on the 5DIII for the first time this weekend. I noted in the first several pics that the mfa was varying relative to focal length. The mfa numbers looked oddly similar to my mfa settings for the 70-200mm f4 and/or my 50mm 1.8. I looked on the mfa menu and it showed zero for both focal lengths. I manually reset the mfa to zero. After that, all my pics were zero mfa.

If you have MA'd any lenses and the camera is set to use the same settings for all you'd probably expect what you found.

Mine were set differently by me for each lens and all changed to -8 of their own accord. I assume it must be a bug.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:20 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

dhphoto...I keep hearing about this problem that you've seen so I've been checking my 5D3...so far it hasn't done it. I was wondering whether you have reset the power in some way? I am looking for some way to watch out for. Checking for the potential problem each time before I shoot is getting to be very bothersome.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:26 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

diverhank wrote:
dhphoto...I keep hearing about this problem that you've seen so I've been checking my 5D3...so far it hasn't done it. I was wondering whether you have reset the power in some way? I am looking for some way to watch out for. Checking for the potential problem each time before I shoot is getting to be very bothersome.

Yes, I took the battery out to put the grip on and off twice this week and it seems to have happened since then.

Apart from that it's just been in daily use so there have been lens changes, including to lenses that haven't been MA'd

It is unquestionably happening on it's own and not something I've set or done. I'm in CPS and I have told them, although I'm sure they already know about it and will fix it with the next firmware

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

Thankfully 3 of my 4 lenses seem to be right on my 5D3, but I kept getting very random results with the 35L, even using good sharpness testing technique. I eventually gave up and disabled all microadjustment. Now the 35L seems to be very close. ie its sharp enough and my stress level has dropped I am looking forward to the firmware update though.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:07 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

dhphoto wrote:
If you have MA'd any lenses and the camera is set to use the same settings for all you'd probably expect what you found.

Mine were set differently by me for each lens and all changed to -8 of their own accord. I assume it must be a bug.

mfa were set to work on a per lens basis. The 5D was using mfa numbers other than the one's seen on the screen until I manually reset them to zero. sounds like a coding bug.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:11 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

What firmware version? My brand new 5D-mkIII is 1.1.3 Way too soon for me to see a problem, but I will be watching for it.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:19 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

The same problem existed on the 1DX until a FW update fixed it. There, the temporary fix was to make sure you were using the same AF points for vertical and horizontal (there's a CFn to keep them separate). Given that they share the same AF, maybe the same workaround will help.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:22 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

ben egbert wrote:
What firmware version? My brand new 5D-mkIII is 1.1.3 Way too soon for me to see a problem, but I will be watching for it.

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:37 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

dgdg wrote:
mfa were set to work on a per lens basis. The 5D was using mfa numbers other than the one's seen on the screen until I manually reset them to zero. sounds like a coding bug.

That is wierd. In some ways I'm glad it's not just me but Canon need to fix this

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:38 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

Hmmm. I thought that issue was already resolved with 1.1.3 that was released in June of 2012. Guess I misread info on it.

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:51 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

Zenon Char wrote:
Hmmm. I thought that issue was already resolved with 1.1.3 that was released in June of 2012. Guess I misread info on it.

I've only had my 5DIII about a month (from new) and I've never upgraded the FW on it

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:53 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

ben egbert wrote:

ill have to check later. fortunately easy to fix once you know to look for it in your first few shots.

Feb 06, 2013 at 08:15 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

I have just redone all the MA'ing (like a fool I didn't write the settings down) I shall see if it happens again.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:13 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

dhphoto wrote:
I have just redone all the MA'ing (like a fool I didn't write the settings down) I shall see if it happens again.

sorry that happened.
one nice thing about the pro version is the pdf document showing your results plotting resolution vs. mfa. If you were to loose your settings, you could go back to these to recover them.

Feb 06, 2013 at 12:47 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

dhphoto wrote:
I spent several hours MA'ing my most used lenses last week and today the camera had reset them all to 0 and decided that all lenses should be on -8.

Just a heads up to anyone going on a critical shoot, 5DIII's do this, I have now read of several on different sites.

Argh... Crap!

Gymnastics Qualification meet in an hour. I remembered I was really disappointed with my 28-70/2.8L lens at a basketball game last week, so I thought I'd check the AFMA settings to make sure I did the FoCal test on it.

ALL of the AFMA settings are wiped out on my 5D3...

Instead of the individual test results for each lens,
it now says "All by same amount -8"

The "Adjust by lens" option just says "0"

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:52 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

clarence3 wrote:
Argh... Crap!

Gymnastics Qualification meet in an hour. I remembered I was really disappointed with my 28-70/2.8L lens at a basketball game last week, so I thought I'd check the AFMA settings to make sure I did the FoCal test on it.

ALL of the AFMA settings are wiped out on my 5D3...

Instead of the individual test results for each lens,
it now says "All by same amount -8"

The "Adjust by lens" option just says "0"

Yup, it's a right pain isn't it!

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:45 AM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Can confirm my 5DIII has the Micro-adjust problem

dhphoto wrote:
Yup, it's a right pain isn't it!

Oh well, it was a good opportunity to go through the process again.

This time I wrote my re-test results on a yellow sticky. But I'll post them here since months from now it'll be easier to find my notes online instead of on a yellow sticky.

5D3:
135L/2 (+8)
28-70/2.8L (+3) (+3)
85 (+7)
50/1.4 (+4)

Maybe later this week I'll compare these results to the "DotTune" method and see if there's any consistency.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:36 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.