Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · How can you improve?

bensassophotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · How can you improve?

How can you improve?

It is a pretty simple question but I don't find myself asking it enough. I would love to hear where you all think you can improve your work (whether it be an aspect of your images or something business related). How can you better yourself as a photographer and what are you doing to make it happen?

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:22 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · How can you improve?

The problem that I see for many is that they try to improve at what they see in other people, so improvement begets sameness. "Improving" in a specific and purposeful way is difficult.

- trr

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · How can you improve?

My wife, an artist, gave me these two words of advice as I was about to start shooting a wedding last weekend... "take chances." Two simple words.

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · How can you improve?

Do something different.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:14 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #5 · How can you improve?

I need to work on my communication & organizational skills, which I learned is such a big part of running your own business.

communication: small things like keeping in contact with my couples before & after engagement sessions and the wedding day, leading discussion during consults, leaving voicemails if needed, just remembering names (i'm horrible with names). I am working on this by setting up things like a FAQ that i review with clients at the end of consults & just have a better understanding of the flow of conversation during consults & trying to engage the clients more so it's about them. I am also getting organized (my next thing) to contact clients ahead of dates; engagement sessions & weddings.

organization: just a filing system & getting organized with Quickbooks. It's amazing how simply a calendar on my iPad that shows ALL months for the year helped me feel more organized where I can mark dates/events. I am also fixing up my study room in my house to be an office area where I can keep all things 'business' where i need it.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:26 PM
thethinkcouch
• • • •
p.1 #6 · How can you improve?

shoot for free for other photog friends. don't shoot what you're suppose to shoot.

//ed

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:42 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · How can you improve?

I think I could do a better job at being 'on' all the time in the sense of always being ready to catch something. I'm sure there are plenty of great photos I'm not seeing because I'm not looking hard enough. Particularly at the reception, at this point in the day I'm sort of mentally exhausted already and I feel like I get a little lazy.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:49 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #8 · How can you improve?

I always struggle with creativity and letting go of my own expectations. I also tend to go off track with reception lighting... it's a blessing and a curse. If something isn't working, I just improvise. I need to be able to identify why it's not working and correct it.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:52 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · How can you improve?

- Shoot some e-sessions to improve my posing skills

- Get better at shooting with conservative settings and be ready to "bail out" to a conservative setting to cover something unexpected. (like something far away from anything to bounce off and/or too far from my OCF)

- I am the opposite of ckhagen, I need to get out of my engineer mentality and just roll with bad lighting at times instead of always trying to "fix" it. Some of the most dynamic images on here are taken in environments I would try to "fix" or avoid.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #10 · How can you improve?

thethinkcouch wrote:
shoot for free for other photog friends. don't shoot what you're suppose to shoot.

//ed

That would be a really fun idea. I would love to 3rd shoot for someone at a wedding. I would make it my goal to spend the entire time either not shooting the "main event" whether its dancing/ceremony/walking down the isle/etc and look for details somewhere else.

Anyone wanna take me up on it?

Feb 06, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #11 · How can you improve?

Extend your technique.

Extend you ability to recall technique.

Most of us have far more knowledge in our heads than we can summon.

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:37 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #12 · How can you improve?

if i had a chance to shoot 3rd.
I would give myself 100 shots for all day. (Credit: Mr Hassas)

Practice specific tools i want to place in my tool box. particularly OCF.
continue to hone my strengths.

Continue to practice seeing shots throughout my day when i am not shooting.

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:53 AM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · How can you improve?

My gear is holding me back.

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:13 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #14 · How can you improve?

Are we talking about improving photography or improving business? If it's improving photography, there's a lot of different physical things that can be done in order to improve the images. I'm getting hounded on this in my internship thingie right now. My answer for changing technique is to change angles, composition, poses, direction, visualization of shots, using environment, and using light differently. Really, all it comes down to is taking risks when taking photos. It's a creative outlet so creativity is the main focus.

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #15 · How can you improve?

I need to take more chances.

My OCF performance needs tons more practice and fine-tuning.

That's the first two things I can think of...

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:43 PM
JonMold
• •
p.1 #16 · How can you improve?

Practice practice practice.

Go on workshops. Invest in yourself. Learn, practice, experiment, f*** up, learn from that, practice, learn. Go on more workshops. Try what you learned for real. F*** up, learn more, practice, practice, practice.

That was me last year.

2013 - converting garage into studio to practice more, understand light and posing people better. Going on at least 2 more workshops. Practice, practice, practice.

I also have a few personal projects, nothing to do with what I shoot day-to-day. Something totally different. Also getting a few photographers to shoot me, just to learn what its like from the other side of the camera.

Good luck, it's way more work than I thought it would be 2 years ago, still a gazillion things to learn, inspired everyday by others on here. Keep positive, surround yourself with other positive peeps, keep humble.

Enjoy the journey

Feb 06, 2013 at 08:24 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.1 #17 · How can you improve?

I'm actually working on my physical fitness and nutrition. Makes a huge difference in everything!

Feb 06, 2013 at 08:43 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #18 · How can you improve?

There's several different ways really. You can learn from the work of others (despite Todd's admonition of begetting sameness). Remember, for centuries, that's what apprentices did: learn, practice, master it - and then develop that skill to make it their own. You learn from seeing something somewhere in real life that gives you an idea for something. It doesn't have to be another photographer. It could be a shadow you saw. You learn by getting your hands messy. You learn by ignoring everyone who says that's not the way it's done. You learn when you made a "happy" mistake. You learn when you say, "what if?" and "why not?" And then practice. And more practice. And make it perfect practice.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:24 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · How can you improve?

D. Diggler wrote:
My gear is holding me back.

You're kidding right?

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:10 AM
tobicus
• • •