New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 430EX vs. 430EX II

dsc.

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 430EX vs. 430EX II

I'm in the market for my first flash for my MkII. I was just wondering what Canon changed on the 430EX II?

Feb 05, 2013 at 10:55 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 430EX vs. 430EX II

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-430EX-II-Speedlite-Flash-Review.aspx

Google "430ex ii review" ... first one up. dpreview, second on the list.

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:04 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 430EX vs. 430EX II

dsc. wrote:
I'm in the market for my first flash for my MkII. I was just wondering what Canon changed on the 430EX II?

The best upgrade for me was the ability to control the flash from my 7D's menu, which I find a lot faster and easier to understand than using the on-flash menus. (I also have a 580EX II, which does the same thing.) Things like switching between ETTL and Manual power, selecting rea-curtain sync or High Speed Sync, setting wireless modes, and so on with these new Speedlites are a snap on newer cameras that have flash control built-in.

On my 20D, which doesn't have flash control, I always use my original 580EX as a Master for wireless, because it has a simple sliding lever to select Master or Slave mode, whereas the 580EX II and 430EX II require several button presses (and the buttons aren't clearly marked for doing that). But with the 7D it's all done in-camera with the new flashes.

Do note, though, the the 430EX II -- like the original 430EX -- can't act as a Master Speedlite; it's only an on-camera single or an off-camera Slave.

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:04 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 430EX vs. 430EX II

The 430EX II has a metal foot (vs plastic for the 430EX)

The 430EX II recycles a little faster

The 430EX II offers manual power adjustment in 1/3 stop increments vs 1 stop for the 430EX

Not a huge difference, but if the prices are similar I'd take the II

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:40 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 430EX vs. 430EX II

The mkII upgrade for the 580ex and 430ex was the result of Canon adding flash control to camera menus and water resistant case and seal on foot. In terms of power and range they are similar.

I have a pair of 580ex and prefer controlling the flashes on the master not camera. WIth single or dual flash (once ratio is set) the only adjustment is FEC which I can do on the big dial on the Master. Changes made on the flash for FEC didn't change the FEC setting on the body display on the 20D but do on the 50D. I'd do the same with the newer flashes that are camera menu compatible.

Of course YMMV so suggest you try both and see what works for you.

Feb 06, 2013 at 07:44 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.